Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that most people are going to pass on FSD, at least for now. If the gift was being able to add FSD for $1,000 at time of order only, they would probably get (completely made up number) of people to pony up the grand. That would give them (same completely made up number times 1,000) to further bankroll the operation.

It seems that most people are going to pass on FSD, at least for now. If the gift was being able to add FSD for $1,000 at time of order only, they would probably get (completely made up number) of people to pony up the grand. That would give them (same completely made up number times 1,000) to further bankroll the operation.
Aside from the fact that FSD doesn't exist yet, not everyone wants this feature, even at the hypothetical $1,000 discounted price. As such, it would not be "something special" for all the line waiters.

Reactions: Kacey Green
The worst part for me wasn't the waiting OUTSIDE in the COLD and RAIN for HOURS, but that I forgot to bring any CAFFEINE with me. I would appreciate if the cupholders came pre-stocked with a caffeinated beverage of our choice. I'd go with Mtn Dew, although I'm sure many people would prefer some kind of coffee. Of course, for maximum fairness, the quantity of such beverages provided should be based on the number of bold red words one uses to describe the hardships they endured while waiting in line.

The handwringing by the righteous (who don't think Elon should be held to account for his own words) aside (see a trend from the apologists here? Yep, but that's nothing new), I am reminded of my own actions that fateful March 31st morning.

There was no way I was going to wait at Santa Monica or Burbank or anywhere in between as I figured those locations would get overrun. So I got up an extra hour early and drove to Palm Springs, where I figured I'd have the place more or less to myself. Heh. No such luck. Arrived at 0600 with a lawn chair* only to find 6 people already in line. The first three were (very) senior citizens from San Berdoo who had waited in line since 8PM THE NIGHT BEFORE. So 7th I was for the next 4 or so hours. Great group of people. Remember that everyone was there with the car as yet sight unseen. Friends at Santa Monica and Burbank reported 50 and 80 people in line respectively at 0530.

Anyway, with dawn breaking, I was compelled to produce a double shot of espresso from my trusty onboard espresso maker, replete with freshly-ground beans and a dash of organic* honey in a proper double-walled cup. I'm not a morning person by nature, so if I'm going to participate, there's damn sure going to be a measure of civilization. Besides which, I forgot to stop at a Starbucks on the way over.

By the time I exited the store at 10:05am, there were a couple hundred people in line at Palm Springs, and of course many hundreds in line at Santa Monica, Centinela, and Burbank, not to mention pretty much every other gallery on the continent. A friend went at 3pm to Santa Monica and didn't have to wait terribly long. As far as I'm concerned, every single person who signed up sight unseen on Day One should receive the benefit of Elon's promised largesse.

I don't have a problem holding a billionaire to his word - especially this billionaire - and neither should you.

* but no stogies, for the Tesla.com forum SJC thread devotees.
** yes, organic; so shoot me - it's California.

The handwringing by the righteous (who don't think Elon should be held to account for his own words) aside (see a trend from the apologists here? Yep, but that's nothing new), I am reminded of my own actions that fateful March 31st morning.
I think you may be confused as to which party is wringing their hands.

Saw a video of a guy who had 6 referrals unpacking a very nice piece of carry-on luggage special made for Tesla. Made in China - I doubt they pay $100 ea. I would love getting one of those as a token of appreciation for my line time.
The luggage was the prize for reaching a certain number of purchase referrals in a time period. They were given to people who generated several hundred thousand dollars of revenue for Tesla. I don't think Tesla is going to give them, or anything else that costs them ~$100 out of pocket, for free to line waiters.

Aside from the fact that FSD doesn't exist yet, not everyone wants this feature, even at the hypothetical $1,000 discounted price. As such, it would not be "something special" for all the line waiters.

Not everyone wanted sig red, yet that was a special item. I have absolutely no intention of buying FSD, likely never. But, as I sit here today not needing to make a decision, I think I might spend a grand (still probably not)

So people aren't pleased with the Model 3 sketch that was mailed out last year? I'm assuming that was the token and if something else were to come later then it would be a pleasant surprise.

And that assumption would be incorrect.

All reservation holders were supposed to receive the artwork. Some who didn't contacted Tesla, which sent the artwork promptly until there was no more artwork to send.

Line-waiters were explicitly referenced by Elon to receive something else in addition thereto.

Since that time, a small number of apologists have tried to revise that reality or to cast aspersions upon those who merely find it to be good business to do what you say you're going to do.

And that assumption would be incorrect.

All reservation holders were supposed to receive the artwork. Some who didn't contacted Tesla, which sent the artwork promptly until there was no more artwork to send.

Line-waiters were explicitly referenced by Elon to receive something else in addition thereto.

Since that time, a small number of apologists have tried to revise that reality or to cast aspersions upon those who merely find it to be good business to do what you say you're going to do.
nicely stated.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones