Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go back and read post 630. Day 1 reservations not just line waiters. Not everyone in the world lives near a SC. I realize you don't care what anyone thinks because you said so above. Elon very much appreciates those that plunked down $1000 sight unseen pre reveal. But he owes you, me and the rest nothing. NOTHING. A small token of appreciation. A small model, a leather key card holder, an inexpensive light jacket, tire inflators kit. Something like this, tops. Free supercharging for life??? Not a chance.
Its his quote and promise - not mine. He said line waiters originally. HE made that up...not me. I waited in line before HE made the announcement so....... I'm not asking for anything. He promised so HE should come through.

People who ordered after the reveal didn't purchase sight-unseen.

I was originally thinking that he wanted to thank folks who waited "waited in long lines or waited out in the rain - like myself and or other forms of sacrificial effort".

Please make it stop ... another case of unrealistic expectations that will be met with disappointment under the light of reality :cool:
Wise words.

People stood in line to be part of something big, to secure a better place in the ordering queue -- I don't know of a single person who stood in line because they thought they'd get free things. Anyone?

Whatever Elon does, it was something NOT promised for standing in line early.

Wise words.

People stood in line to be part of something big, to secure a better place in the ordering queue -- I don't know of a single person who stood in line because they thought they'd get free things. Anyone?

Whatever Elon does, it was something NOT promised for standing in line early.
What?

No one could stand in line to get free things because free things weren't offered. Elon stated - on his own accord - that there would be a gift for those who did.

Whats wrong with wondering what it is and expecting something - not for waiting in line, but because ELON said so.

What's wrong with that?

Whoa! I wasn't trying to be an elitist snob. I am far from that. I didn't get my Model S until early 2016 and I stretched for that. I will have a Model3 and I am very friendly at the super chargers. When I say early adopters I sure as hell do not mean myself.

I am just very annoyed by the constant threads here, reddit, and FB I have come across where some seem to be demanding free supercharging, free paint upgrade, etc. I am just happy the car that was created looks so damn good and is fairly affordable.

What?

No one could stand in line to get free things because free things weren't offered. Elon stated - on his own accord - that there would be a gift for those who did.

Whats wrong with wondering what it is and expecting something - not for waiting in line, but because ELON said so.

What's wrong with that?
Nothing is wrong with wondering. Please don't spin my words to mean something else than what I intended.

I'm going to assume you're a parent. It's one thing for a kid to wonder if Santa is bringing the truck/blocks/construction set they had on their list. But I'd be horrified if my little one had started talking about what expensive gift Santa SHOULD be giving them and I'd be trying to reset their expectations so that Christmas morning would still be fun and magical. Because my fear would be that instead of being excited over the truck/blocks/construction set, they'd be upset and think that Santa hadn't rewarded them sufficiently for being good all year.

The arrogance and elitist attitude of Model S and Roadster owners is really something. Sad that Model 3 owners will be looked down upon.
Where in my post was I arrogant or being an elitist? Where did I look down on anyone? I just don't see how standing in a line is all that special. I have done it for many things in the past and the only thing I got was what I stood in line for.

• Disagree
Reactions: hockeythug
I waited in line & never got the picture, plus my reservation never showed up in My Tesla, until they finally fixed it last month.
Took 6 phone calls, since reserving.
Waiting to see what gift I may get.

Do agree that any S/X/Roadster buyer deserves something also.
However, dont S/X already get Free Supercharging?

Do agree that any S/X/Roadster buyer deserves something also.
However, dont S/X already get Free Supercharging?

Here's what people are missing - Nothing was promised to S/X/Roadster owners for deposits, other than the vehicle they had reserved. I had $40k held for multiple years waiting on an X. A Christmas card! (Which was nice.) One Christmas, they sent every Roadster owner an RC car. (Also very nice.)

And yes. Elon was the one who brought it up because he's really truly grateful to and touched by all the people who believed in Tesla and stood in line that morning. You/We wildly exceeded his hopes. But this conversation about what is deserved for being in a line is starting to feel like entitlement.

I don't think current owners deserve more (being bumped up is thanks enough, honestly). I think a nice collectible, only available to those who reserved on Day 1, would be a nice memento of a historical day. We all have great stories to tell. And I fear that, sadly, there will be some people angry, thinking Tesla screwed them over. Which is not the case.

Nothing is wrong with wondering. Please don't spin my words to mean something else than what I intended.

I'm going to assume you're a parent. It's one thing for a kid to wonder if Santa is bringing the truck/blocks/construction set they had on their list. But I'd be horrified if my little one had started talking about what expensive gift Santa SHOULD be giving them and I'd be trying to reset their expectations so that Christmas morning would still be fun and magical. Because my fear would be that instead of being excited over the truck/blocks/construction set, they'd be upset and think that Santa hadn't rewarded them sufficiently for being good all year.
Really?

You think there is a chance that people are more interested in the gift than they are interested in the car? LOL

I wouldn't be "horrified" to use your exact words...if my kids........ I'm a parent. I'm much older than them - mentally. I expect a kid to think like a kid.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Really?

You think there is a chance that people are more interested in the gift than they are interested in the car? LOL

I wouldn't be "horrified" to use your exact words...if my kids........ I'm a parent. I'm much older than them - mentally. I expect a kid to think like a kid.
Where did I say there is a chance that people are more interested in the gift than the car? Please stop making it look like I said something that wasn't said or implied.

We have different ideas of the role of a parent, I guess. I would have been horrified to see my kid behaving in an entitled way, since that would be opposite of every lesson that had been taught.

Where did I say there is a chance that people are more interested in the gift than the car? Please stop making it look like I said something that wasn't said or implied.

We have different ideas of the role of a parent, I guess. I would have been horrified to see my kid behaving in an entitled way, since that would be opposite of every lesson that had been taught.
You know what.

I believe this conversation is done. Elon promised something.....I don't see any problem with expecting it. If he never said anything I wouldn't be expecting anything. Its great that Elon was reminded of his words by someone else ( not me ) and he is responding that Tesla is putting something together. Until then......I like to speculate and request. There is no harm in that.

The car I ordered has nothing to do with Elons statement. I'm still excited about it and looking forward to driving it.

If they don't give the software away for free-It won't bother me one bit-I won't be disappointed.
No, they can't collect enhanced autopilot data or self driving data if it isn't enabled because the car isn't driving itself so the data isn't valid.
Take it from someone who really knows about this data collection and doesn't speculate. Driving safety-yes.

IMHO- it has be be something everyone wants. Otherwise it is a completely wasted gesture by Tesla.
Free paint- probably not since black is free. So, paint would be completely out.
wave destination charges would be my first real guess.
no clothes at all-how can you get sizes right-even caps you can't do that.
Credit to the Tesla store a strong maybe.
more miles on SC yearly-another strong maybe.
fob with key card it's a maybe too, but I don't think so at this point.
Over the air updates for life-maybe. Free internet radio-maybe
Head up display from 3rd manufacturer- *drooling* I wish it were so, but NO.

google glass-absolutely not-won't work for people who already wear prescription glasses.

free upgrade credits when you order your car? Maybe.
badging-absolutely not-not everyone wants badging. i don't.

Best I can figure-
everyone would like:
more range
more free charging
paint
free delivery-YES-my guess overall-it won't matter what car you order.
free satellite radio-best I can figure-yes-compliments of Space x
Free Hyper loop use when it goes live? Huge maybe too.

These make the most sense to me.

could be 50% off all after purchase software upgrades. Maybe.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm a line waiter, but I do not feel entitled to anything. I do not feel that roadster or S/X owners should either. We are all getting what we paid for, anything else Elon decides to do is on top of that.

The only reason I expect some sort of gesture of appreciation is because Elon has now said several times that there would be one. Whether it's a scale model, a badge, paint options, free supercharging, or even nothing but the poster, all of us line waiters need to remember that we all waited in line BEFORE Elon even hinted at some sort of gift.

You know what.

I believe this conversation is done. Elon promised something.....I don't see any problem with expecting it. If he never said anything I wouldn't be expecting anything. Its great that Elon was reminded of his words by someone else ( not me ) and he is responding that Tesla is putting something together. Until then......I like to speculate and request. There is no harm in that.

The car I ordered has nothing to do with Elons statement. I'm still excited about it and looking forward to driving it.
I don't know if you deliberately misrepresent what I said (never said Elon wasn't going to do something, never said people shouldn't speculate) or if my posts are just that unclear. It doesn't matter, since (and I agree), this conversation is done. Peace.