Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"gushing" sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I recently took my M3 for first long drive, five hours each way. During and even after the trip, I hear this "gushing" sound randomly. It happens about 1-2 times per drive. I have not felt or notice anything about the drive. It almost sounds like something is releasing. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone,

I recently took my M3 for first long drive, five hours each way. During and even after the trip, I hear this "gushing" sound randomly. It happens about 1-2 times per drive. I have not felt or notice anything about the drive. It almost sounds like something is releasing. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

From the thread title I thought you were talking about the sounds a Tesla owner makes when someone asks them how they like their car!;)

Seriously though, I think you are probably hearing normal pumps or fans that run whenever it's beneficial whether the car is on or off. The car does make a number of soft sounds that might sound unusual if you have never owned a Tesla before. Tesla's are kind of like a living breathing pet. And once the "follow" software update is released, the transformation will be complete! I might even register my Model 3 as a dog with the town I live in. It's only $5/year and I get a dog tag with Orca's name on it. Hopefully I won't get a ticket for her being off leash!:D

I believe I know what you're talking about. I heard something like that for the first time the other day.
It sounded like water running through pipes and displacing air (like what you hear when you first turn on a faucet that hasn't been used in a while). The pitch went progressively higher, with fewer "gurgles", and then it disappeared within a minute or so. I heard it when the car powered up and it didn't seem to matter if it had been sitting for a little bit (15 mins) or a lot (overnight).

Is this consistent with what you're hearing?

I believe I know what you're talking about. I heard something like that for the first time the other day.
It sounded like water running through pipes and displacing air (like what you hear when you first turn on a faucet that hasn't been used in a while). The pitch went progressively higher, with fewer "gurgles", and then it disappeared within a minute or so. I heard it when the car powered up and it didn't seem to matter if it had been sitting for a little bit (15 mins) or a lot (overnight).

Is this consistent with what you're hearing?
Yes exactly!! I heard it even waiting for traffic light to turn green. Any idea what it is? Update * I have not heard of it since that few days.

Yes exactly!! I heard it even waiting for traffic light to turn green. Any idea what it is? Update * I have not heard of it since that few days.

I'm guessing it's the battery cooling/heating. That's nonetheless odd as one would expect that there be no air in the respective circuit.

Rumor has it I'll be getting my car back soon* and it's been relatively cold lately. If it's indeed the battery conditioning, I guess I'll hear it again.

*not quite three full months in the shop but close