Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guy in a Model 3 gets pulled over because cop thought he mounted a computer to his dash!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more thing to add (sorry, can't resist). Typically when you are pulling someone over for something like this you will run their plate (which I'm sure he did before he stopped him) to make sure it isn't stolen. Once stopped you run the person's DL for warrants and a valid DL. You also ask for valid proof of insurance. He didn't do the last two (at least on camera), which leads me to believe once he realized he was wrong, he was done with the stop.

Anyway, we've probably beat this to death, just giving my perspective.

I doubt there is a law saying you can't have a computer mounted to your dash. You can mount anything you want within your car as long as it does not obstruct your view. They can't assume it is a distraction without witnessing such a distraction. If he thought it was against the law then he should have given a ticket whether it is part of the car or not.

Thanks for your post. That's exactly what I was thinking.

I was at a Supercharger on the Florida turnpike in my 3 a month or so ago. Was able to show the 3 to two FHP officers who happened to park nearby to go grab something to eat, and said they had not yet seen a 3. I didn't think to explicitly show them the screen, but am sure they noticed it while doing the walkaround. Their questions were the usual: how long does it take to charge, and how far does it go. I was tempted to ask them if they wanted to race, but figured they wouldn't find it funny and I didn't want to give them a bad impression of "Tesla owners."

I doubt there is a law saying you can't have a computer mounted to your dash. You can mount anything you want within your car as long as it does not obstruct your view. They can't assume it is a distraction without witnessing such a distraction. If he thought it was against the law then he should have given a ticket whether it is part of the car or not.
Who knows what the laws are anymore. I was in Germany last week and I left the airport and went through a checkpoint. I had my phone on my leg with my Waze app open. The cop saw it and told me to pull over to the side. The cop came up to me and asked for my license and registration. I gave him my CO DL and the rental agreement. He said, "typically with this type of violation (using your cell phone while driving), we take you to the station, process you and release you with a 100 euro fine, but we can reduce that and let you go with a ticket and a 50 euro fine." I just landed and was heading to the Marine Corps base it Stuttgart so I only had USD. I told him that and he said, "hang on, let me see what we can do". 15 minutes later they released me with a warning. Was I upset, nope, just the way it is. Are there laws like that in the US, I'm sure there are.

Germany ticketed 3,100 people in one day on their cells phones (same day I got caught), so there are others pulling people over for similar things as this (a little different, but same idea).

Germany: Police catch 3,100 drivers on their cell phones in one day | DW | 20.09.2018

Edit: Once he realized it was part of the car, and not a laptop, why would have give a ticket, it's no longer against the law and the reason he pulled him over?

Reactions: outdoors
I was at a Supercharger on the Florida turnpike in my 3 a month or so ago. Was able to show the 3 to two FHP officers who happened to park nearby to go grab something to eat, and said they had not yet seen a 3. I didn't think to explicitly show them the screen, but am sure they noticed it while doing the walkaround. Their questions were the usual: how long does it take to charge, and how far does it go. I was tempted to ask them if they wanted to race, but figured they wouldn't find it funny and I didn't want to give them a bad impression of "Tesla owners."

For non obvious reasons.....I wish I were you guys...…

Sounds like a stunt this guy pulled to get more folks to watch his videos ... shouldn't the camera be pointed the other way, unless this was a setup? Asking for a friend ;)

#fakevideo? ;)

No, it's probably real. The BlackVue dashcam is rotatable, so you can switch to rear recording just by rotating the camera. He probably did this as soon as he got pulled over.

At least we have these laws in place in the USA.... this is what it looks like in other parts of the world !
73d605c4-9c12-11e6-9654-6e2b0a6d20cd_1280x720.jpg