Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hands Free Phone microphone sound quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone being told by people you call that they cant hear you well on the hands free microphone? People were telling me that but it wasn't until I was on the receiving end of a call from my wife that I heard how bad it is. My 12 year old Audi hands free was not perfect, but considerably better. Actually hoping this is just my issue which would suggest it's fixable.

Sort of related: I've been having trouble with the Bluetooth audio properly transferring to the car. I'll get a call, answer it through the car touch screen, but audio is via phone handset. When I try to select the car as the audio source it tries for a second and then reverts to the handset. What's weird is I can stream music over Bluetooth fine.
Anyone else encounter something similar?

I made a few calls from my 3 and my wife said our Lincoln MKX definitely had much better sound quality and noise cancelling in regards to what she was hearing on her end. Part of it could be the mkx l has the multi layer acoustic glass all around and it’s a pretty quiet car inside. I don’t think the 3 is overly loud at all but just a possibility.

Anyone being told by people you call that they cant hear you well on the hands free microphone? People were telling me that but it wasn't until I was on the receiving end of a call from my wife that I heard how bad it is. My 12 year old Audi hands free was not perfect, but considerably better. Actually hoping this is just my issue which would suggest it's fixable.
A number of people told the sound quality of the mic is poor.

Yup - my buddy calls from the car all the time. When he's in his Volt it sounds good, the Tesla Model 3, not so good. It's not that the car is noisy, since it still sounds worse than the Volt when he's parked. I think the mics aren't as good as other hands-free carphone systems.