Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate this thread and those that participated. Bought the Hankook ION EVO AS for my '15 MS 70D today to replace my Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S with 35K miles. OTD price with certificates and Hankook rebate at DT after warranty claim on Pirelli's was $560.53 (purchased on DT credit card which got 5% off).

First impression for the 5-mile ride home with max speed of 60MPH. Super quiet.

I've got Teslmate running in Azure and when I get some data on similar drives to compare against the Pirelli's I'll report back on any efficiency changes I see.

I've got about 2000 miles now on the Hankook ION EV AS tires on my '17 S100D. I am seeing slightly better efficiency. Prior, my average Wh/mi for long trips would be around 300, rarely below, and now I can achieve 280. They get a little loud when cornering aggressively, but otherwise no complaints with the ride quality or noise levels.

Not the 275 wide size for the MYP
Yet
275 is definitely available for the MYP.
You are simply looking in the wrong section. You need to click on the “SUV” section/version of their Ion Evo tires. Then, scroll down the list until you see 275.

Below is a print screen from Hankook’s website, showing a partial list of the available sizes in their Ion Evo AS SUV tire line. As you can see, it’s offered in as wide as 285!!!

IMG_7208.jpeg

Last edited:
After 38,000 miles on our Model Y, it was finally time to replace the stock Continental tires on our 19" wheels. As most tire companies have or are working on EV specific tires, I figured I buy the latest and greatest available, since there are probably new innovations every month.

I ended up ordering the Hankook ION evo AS SUV 255/45R19 from Discount Tire, and had them install it Yesterday. The price came out to $261/each with an online price-match, which is less than the OEM or Goodyear Electricdrive GT's.

The ride is so smooth and quiet! Think they're more comfort oriented than the factory set, but I'm totally fine with that. The tire noise is significantly reduced (too bad I didn't have a device to measure the before/after difference with!), and I highly recommend these just for that!
How has the wet traction? From the thick tread pattern I'm worried there might be much less wet traction as water from the center only has the three ridges to deflect to rather than the ridges and also through the outer edges with more gapped edge threads.

It's not an exact test with the all-season model, but the EU Hankook Ion Evo summer did as well or better as the new Michelin Pilot Sport 5 in many areas, and roundly walloped it in efficiency.

Given that the Michelin Pilot Sport series has always been the leading performer, for a grand-touring efficiency tire to equal or surpass it in anything other than efficiency is exceptionally good.

I assume most of this performance will travel over to the all season available in US.

The iON looks like a giant leap in technology for Hankook---previously it never really had any tires comparable with the top ones (Michelin, Continental, Pirelli)

Why did Hankook have to go and put that ugly diamond pattern on the sidewall :confused:
Agreed. It does look silly.
Maybe the pattern helps with aerodynamics like on a golf ball? 😄
I can't stand the diamond sidewall pattern (I know most probably won't care anyways) so I went with P Zero All Season Plus "ELECT"
Overall the PZero is doing very well and is not terribly expensive ($245 per tire, 18")
I believe it’s functional. You can learn more in this video:

Appreciate this thread and those that participated. Bought the Hankook ION EVO AS for my '15 MS 70D today to replace my Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S with 35K miles. OTD price with certificates and Hankook rebate at DT after warranty claim on Pirelli's was $560.53 (purchased on DT credit card which got 5% off).
How much credit did you get for each tire? We’re in a similar spot, only 26k miles on the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II and they’ve gone from 11/32 when new to 3/32 now, with some sections even showing only 2/32 per Discount Tire. Later this week we’re planning to get the new Hankooks installed. What Discount Tire told me last week is that we’ll get $160 off per tire for the Pirelli warranty claim.

One thing I miss, ICE tires that have UTQG tread wear ratings as high as 800

Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards

Our best EV tires are in the 500s
Hopefully they will get the number back up as they innovate for EV tire designs

How much credit did you get for each tire? We’re in a similar spot, only 26k miles on the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II and they’ve gone from 11/32 when new to 3/32 now, with some sections even showing only 2/32 per Discount Tire. Later this week we’re planning to get the new Hankooks installed. What Discount Tire told me last week is that we’ll get $160 off per tire for the Pirelli warranty claim.
@hybridbear $92.50/tire. Calculated based off the mileage on the tires and what I originally paid for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: hybridbear

First impression for the 5-mile ride home with max speed of 60MPH. Super quiet.

I've got Teslmate running in Azure and when I get some data on similar drives to compare against the Pirelli's I'll report back on any efficiency changes I see.
Haven't been able to do an exact route since getting the tires, but have ~2100 miles of driving on them. ~50% freeway speeds and ~50% non-freeway speeds. Currently averaging 265Wh/mile. Super happy with them thus far.