Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I'll be getting a set of the ION EVO's for my 2022 Model 3 RWD. 27,915 miles and I'm at 2.5/32" front, 4/32" rear. Just called America's Tire (the name Discount Tire goes by out here apparently) and they can get the all seasons in a day or so. Price has gone up....they will price match, so if anyone knows of any deals out there please let me know. Quote was $258/tire.....about $1300 all said and done with tax, etc.

Also what are the thoughts on all season vs waiting for the summer tires? I'm in San Jose, CA. We can get tons of rain in the winter, but ice isn't a concern, pretty dry most of the year.
Walmart has them for $218.69/ea right now.

How are these in the cold? Not traction, but efficiency? I recall the mxm4’s getting worse by about 20% (240-> 280) once the temp went down to 45 degrees or so.
Seem great to me. 2022 Model 3 Performance.

IMG_1734.jpeg

The 237 wh/mi is with 18" T Sportline 18x8.5 wheels and the 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO AS tires.
2022 RWD here, stock MXM4's, max psi, UPF front lip and rear spoiler. I show 214 Wh/mi for the last 16k miles, of which 10k of those miles had both the UPF mods. Routinely seeing under 200 Wh/mi for trips (mainly freeway). I'm easy on the pedals, but tend to be passing everyone else on the freeway. Will be interesting to see if the iON EVO AS tires bring it down further.
Lifetime is 223 Wh/mi, and that includes a 7k mile cross country trip that was pretty spirited (UPF front was installed, but not the rear).

BTW - I think weather conditions play a big part here. I'm in San Jose, CA, so consistently pretty mild temps. The RWD is going to of course be more efficient than the P or AWD. Aside from driving style, I can also say the UPF mods made a noticeable difference. Looking forward to seeing what these new tires can do.

2022 RWD here, stock MXM4's, max psi, UPF front lip and rear spoiler. I show 214 Wh/mi for the last 16k miles, of which 10k of those miles had both the UPF mods. Routinely seeing under 200 Wh/mi for trips (mainly freeway). I'm easy on the pedals, but tend to be passing everyone else on the freeway. Will be interesting to see if the iON EVO AS tires bring it down further.
Lifetime is 223 Wh/mi, and that includes a 7k mile cross country trip that was pretty spirited (UPF front was installed, but not the rear).

BTW - I think weather conditions play a big part here. I'm in San Jose, CA, so consistently pretty mild temps. The RWD is going to of course be more efficient than the P or AWD. Aside from driving style, I can also say the UPF mods made a noticeable difference. Looking forward to seeing what these new tires can do.
RWD definitely has much better efficiency especially with the Aero covers on. I did controlled testing with a 2022 RWD. I did controlled tests back to back. I did the RWD with and without Aero covers. The RWD was 6% more efficient with Aero covers on vs. without. It did 192 wh/mi with the Aero covers in place and a 60 mph GPS measured average speed.

Reactions: TexaCali

I'm impressed with how efficient the recent RWD vehicles are - my 2018 LR RWD is typically 10% worse than your on MXM4s (around 250 Wh/mi) and < 200 Wh/mi on the freeway is unheard of. With Crossclimate 2s is around 10% worse than MXM4s.

Can't wait until I need new tires and try out the iON EVO AS.

I'm impressed with how efficient the recent RWD vehicles are - my 2018 LR RWD is typically 10% worse than your on MXM4s (around 250 Wh/mi) and < 200 Wh/mi on the freeway is unheard of. With Crossclimate 2s is around 10% worse than MXM4s.

Can't wait until I need new tires and try out the iON EVO AS.
Some of that difference between our results could be the car, but it could also climate. If you live in an area where the car is having to spend energy heating (or cooling) the battery, that can have an impact, not to mention cabin heating/cooling. It's also a good idea to check your brakes aren't dragging (drive around for a bit without touching the brakes, then come to a stop and make sure your rotors are not hot).

Length of trip is also a factor. I notice the car uses a lot more energy at the start of a trip, then it settles down. If I was making shorter trips, I suspect my average consumption would be higher.

Hopefully I'll get my iON EVO's this week and can see if they make a difference.

Anyone know if there really is a difference between the IH01 vs BSW designation on the Hankook AS evo ION’s? Walmart has both listed, besides the lower price on the IH01 the UTQG rating of 600A A vs 540AAA for the BSW (235/40R19XL 96W). The other US sites seems to mainly have the BSW, which is being price matched against the IH01 price.

Anyone know if there really is a difference between the IH01 vs BSW designation on the Hankook AS evo ION’s? Walmart has both listed, besides the lower price on the IH01 the UTQG rating of 600A A vs 540AAA for the BSW (235/40R19XL 96W). The other US sites seems to mainly have the BSW, which is being price matched against the IH01 price.
https://www.hankooktire.com/us/en/tire/ion/evo-as.html shows only one version of Hankook iON evo AS in 235/40/19, with 96W load/speed ratings, 600/A/A UTQG, and black side wall (BSW commonly means "black side wall", as opposed to white stripe, white letters, or white sidewall).

Reactions: TexaCali
Interesting observation, and you are correct. 18" sizes here, but amazon lists the tire as IH01:

and America's Tire lists it as BSW:

Even more interesting, my tires, which I purchased at America's tire (presumably "BSW"), say "IH01" on the sidewall, but I could not find "BSW" printed anywhere on the tire. Makes me suspect they are all the same and BSW is just some sort of internal code. Anyone know more?

EDIT: 3sr+buyer's post I think explains it....Black Side Wall....<facepalm>

PXL_20240128_231856637 - Copy.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Tezla041
Giga-tires seems to have the lowest listed price per tire atm for the all season ions, I put a junk email at first just to see the hidden discount. $207.42 for the 18", $220.20 for the 20". If you can get discount tire to price match that in-store without looking at the shipping cost, you're golden. If they're going to include shipping cost, then the next best thing would be from Best Wheels Online. Free shipping and no tax for most. They are located in California, so that state may get taxed. $231.46 for the 18", $265.85 for the 20". Cheaper than them price matching 18" on Amazon + tax, unless you're in a state with no sales tax. I've only checked on these 2 sizes, but other sizes seem to also be discounted.

I've had my Hankook ION EVO AS tires for one week now....252 miles traveled. Here are my initial impressions:

1. Sound/Comfort - No question these are quieter than the MXM4's they replaced. The noise reduction is very noticeable. I should note my car (2022) has the insulated glass up front, but not in the rear. Ride seems a little more comfortable as well, but that could be the fact that these are new tires and the Michelin's were down to about 3/32"

2. Grip/Performance - It has been raining almost nonstop every time I've driven this week, so I can't comment on dry grip. I'm not going to test the limits when there is standing water on the road and visibility is limited, but they seem fine. I did push it slightly on a 270 deg clover exit (in moderate rain) and they felt solid. Haven't encountered dry conditions yet.

One small issue - I encountered grooved pavement today at about 70MPH and the car tried to track the grooves a few times. I don't normally travel that section and don't recall if I ever encountered grooves with the MXM4's or how they reacted.

3. Efficiency - Given it has been cooler and raining, it is really hard to say much about efficiency, but so far I show the ION EVO's as consuming 10wh/mi MORE than what the MXM4's were doing at the end of their life. That difference could easily be explained by the car spending extra energy heating the battery, and by increased drag from all the water. So they may very well prove to be more efficient. But all I can say for certain at this point is they are at least in the same ballpark and you aren't going to shoot your milage all to hell by installing these.

Forecast here is for daily rain for at least the next week, so it may be a while before I have any meaningful updates regarding dry performance. But so far I'm quite pleased and would pick the ION EV's again.

I've had my Hankook ION EVO AS tires for one week now....252 miles traveled. Here are my initial impressions:

1. Sound/Comfort - No question these are quieter than the MXM4's they replaced. The noise reduction is very noticeable. I should note my car (2022) has the insulated glass up front, but not in the rear. Ride seems a little more comfortable as well, but that could be the fact that these are new tires and the Michelin's were down to about 3/32"

2. Grip/Performance - It has been raining almost nonstop every time I've driven this week, so I can't comment on dry grip. I'm not going to test the limits when there is standing water on the road and visibility is limited, but they seem fine. I did push it slightly on a 270 deg clover exit (in moderate rain) and they felt solid. Haven't encountered dry conditions yet.

One small issue - I encountered grooved pavement today at about 70MPH and the car tried to track the grooves a few times. I don't normally travel that section and don't recall if I ever encountered grooves with the MXM4's or how they reacted.

3. Efficiency - Given it has been cooler and raining, it is really hard to say much about efficiency, but so far I show the ION EVO's as consuming 10wh/mi MORE than what the MXM4's were doing at the end of their life. That difference could easily be explained by the car spending extra energy heating the battery, and by increased drag from all the water. So they may very well prove to be more efficient. But all I can say for certain at this point is they are at least in the same ballpark and you aren't going to shoot your milage all to hell by installing these.

Forecast here is for daily rain for at least the next week, so it may be a while before I have any meaningful updates regarding dry performance. But so far I'm quite pleased and would pick the ION EV's again.
Rain and especially standing water is the single worst thing for efficiency. You can’t compare wet vs. dry at all. Wait till it stops raining and the efficiency gains will be apparent.