Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Power Frunk Trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Bit of a lengthy post but if anyone have any superior troubleshooting.....

Installed both power frunk and power trunk from Hansshow june 2020.
Frunk V3, Trunk V4. No kick sensors.

Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now frunk is giving me trouble.

Not permanently, but happens from time to time. So a little worrying.

The frunk unlatches fine, but motor doesnt engage.
When closing the frunk the latch opens but
motor does not engage. Have to push the frunk down manually.

When using the debugging cable the frunk closes fine with the frunk button, and opens fine by itself after the wait.

I’ve been troubleshotting with Hansshow for several sessions but nothing really solves the issue.

- Checked cable connections
- Checked 12V and ground connection
- Set higher open/close strength
- Reset control box
- Software update control box
- Shorting control box with screwdriver
- Calibrating struts

My suspicion is either motor / motor cable
or control box is giving me the error.

Anyone have any insight on this ?

Reactions: Mike 53072
I think your diagnosis of 'motor, motor cable, or control box' is accurate and I would say in the order you've presented is from most to least likely. I'd check with Hansshow if there is a way to put power directly to the latch motor to see if it moves - that's probably the only way to narrow down the issue. If direct power causes no motor sound, then it would be the motor. If there motor noise but cable doesn't move, then cable issue. If both cable and motor are operating, the most likely control box itself.

Hopefully you get this resolved soon.

So debugging again yesterday..
Replaced with new control box, still problem.
Replaced motor plugs, still problem.
Replaced motor, still problem.

Going mad here, been troubleshooting for 4 weeks...

Did not replace ground wire, 12V fuse and wire or the struts. Didnt think that would help but willing to try most stuff now.

Yeah I have an extra kit that I could do a full replacement with. Considering that next.

Have read about other Tesla parts that can
defunct in the frunk department. Little worried the Hansshow parts have injured something OEM...

mhm... They offered to send me a full replacement kit and for me to return the defunct one.
Customer service is good.
Technician is a little sparse when it comes to insight I’d say. But thats my impression.

My case seems to be a bit odd so..
But I’d rather solve the issue than to just give up on it because it really is a great retrofit.
When it works that is....

Hi,

Bit of a lengthy post but if anyone have any superior troubleshooting.....

Installed both power frunk and power trunk from Hansshow june 2020.
Frunk V3, Trunk V4. No kick sensors.

Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now frunk is giving me trouble.

Not permanently, but happens from time to time. So a little worrying.

The frunk unlatches fine, but motor doesnt engage.
When closing the frunk the latch opens but
motor does not engage. Have to push the frunk down manually.

When using the debugging cable the frunk closes fine with the frunk button, and opens fine by itself after the wait.

I’ve been troubleshotting with Hansshow for several sessions but nothing really solves the issue.

- Checked cable connections
- Checked 12V and ground connection
- Set higher open/close strength
- Reset control box
- Software update control box
- Shorting control box with screwdriver
- Calibrating struts

My suspicion is either motor / motor cable
or control box is giving me the error.

Anyone have any insight on this ?
Hi, Steffensl, can you tell me your order number?

I purchased the frunk lift kit directly from Hansshow on October 9, 2019 and installed it soon after. Version A 4.2.570 C. It has worked perfectly until today. When I press the open frunk button the struts activate and briefly attempt to open the hood, but the latch never disengages and the system shuts down. It doesn’t open at all so I can’t manually lift it. The manual cable release behind the tow hook cover doesn’t appear to do anything. My frunk is permanently closed.

the Hansshow support number is disconnected. Steffensl, how did you reach support?

• Informative
Reactions: LionXng
Yeah, whatsapp is where it’s going down..

Sounds familiar...

Did you try Tesla emergency release under tow hook cover ? The 9V battery trick ?

I uninstalled yesterday. Back to lifting and closing it manually.
When locking the car, system would go into a loop where struts would engage and bend up frunk hood and latch would make the locking sounds but it did not open. Stopped when I unlocked the car. This in addition to occasionally closing by itself, and motor not engaging,
this was enough for now.
Would propably have drained my 12V over night..
Tesla latch with original struts works fine...

Would like to figure out the root of this before reinstalling...If I have the energy.. Will send kit back and have them take a look..

Hmmmm.... that sounds worrying. I have installed my Frunk kit. I had a lot of trouble with one strut which kept twisting and coming off the ball joint. The first actuation put a deep stratch in the barrel of the strut which made me think that there is some manufacturing debris causing the strut to jam. I still think that although it now appears to operate correctly. Had quite a fiddle with the level of the catch mechanism, low enough to keep the lid flush but high enough that the catch was triggered. There is a little micro-switch in the catch mechnism and the Hansshow system relies on this to tell if the hook is down in which case it operates the close motor.

I am talking with Hansshow to see if they will replace the apparently faulty strut.

I have not been brave enough to attempt the trunk yet!

Steffensl - as far as I can tell the micro-switch is the only thing that tells the kit that the frunk has just closed and to pull the hook down. Also the signal that drives the Tesla unlock motor is similarly the only thing that triggers the Hansshow kit to open the frunk. So the question is - why does locking the car trigger the frunk kit to try and open?

Well if only someone knew..

Another symptom was opening the frunk, then the kids unlocking the back doors and frunk autocloses. Might, be related to the locking loop.

I also noticed two black clips closest to the windshield coming loose. Had to readjust those.
Other than positioning cant see how that is related.

Interesting about the micro switch.
Nearly no latch adjustment necessary here..

Will have an Tesla/autofrunk experienced car mechanic take a look one of these days.

Problems have been stacking over time so either something is getting worse, or original problem is adding wear and tear and new bugs.

Just really fed up with the whole thing debugging for 4/5 weeks. Happy to manually lift and no headaches

Reactions: The Enterprise
Any resolution? I am having this installed now and they also are having issues with the frunk latching closed. They are trying to talk to hansshow now to figure it out.

Well if only someone knew..

Another symptom was opening the frunk, then the kids unlocking the back doors and frunk autocloses. Might, be related to the locking loop.

I also noticed two black clips closest to the windshield coming loose. Had to readjust those.
Other than positioning cant see how that is related.

Interesting about the micro switch.
Nearly no latch adjustment necessary here..

Will have an Tesla/autofrunk experienced car mechanic take a look one of these days.

Problems have been stacking over time so either something is getting worse, or original problem is adding wear and tear and new bugs.

Just really fed up with the whole thing debugging for 4/5 weeks. Happy to manually lift and no headaches

I purchased the frunk lift kit directly from Hansshow on October 9, 2019 and installed it soon after. Version A 4.2.570 C. It has worked perfectly until today. When I press the open frunk button the struts activate and briefly attempt to open the hood, but the latch never disengages and the system shuts down. It doesn’t open at all so I can’t manually lift it. The manual cable release behind the tow hook cover doesn’t appear to do anything. My frunk is permanently closed.

the Hansshow support number is disconnected. Steffensl, how did you reach support?
How did you resolve the problem of the power frunk not opening at all? How did you open your frunk?

I am having the same issue with the frunk not latching intermittently. In my case, it seems to be hole into when the car is exposed to cold weather. After I get home and the Model Y is in the garage for a while, everything works fine. Otherwise I have to push it down each time after the struts do their thing.

Hansshow is chatting with me now and told me to connect the debugging wire to ground until I hear five beeps for speed control, but I honestly have no idea what I am doing with that. Any help would be appreciated.

How did you resolve the problem of the power frunk not opening at all? How did you open your frunk?

I spent 4 months (!) with Hansshow support until I gave up. They did not honor their warranty or replace the parts I returned to them. Tesla charged me $675 to break into my frunk to uninstall Hansshow’s crap.

Like the Frugal Tesla guy, I replaced my Hansshow kit with Tesla Offer’s power frunk. I installed it yesterday and their support was excellent when I contacted them about a problem.

I just posted about this here: Don't buy Hansshow | Tesla Motors Club

Reactions: The Enterprise