Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the V4 kit after some shipping issues, they sent a Model X Frunk first.....

My 3 is an AWD Built in 12/2018

Anyways trying to track down a a CANBUS question hansshow support has not gotten back to me.

The kit has an adapter labeled ODB that connects in the back of the center console under the rear AC vent. However it doesn't fit. Anyone else seen this? IMG_4337.JPGIMG_4338.JPGIMG_4355.JPGIMG_4348.JPG

Is there another place to connect the CANBUS? The unit seems to work totally fine without it. Foot sensor was fine.
IMG_4356.JPG

As an added bonus, being here in Vermont I took off the bumper and got some mud out. The mud doubled the weight of the bumper!
IMG_4332.JPG

The kit has an adapter labeled ODB that connects in the back of the center console under the rear AC vent. However it doesn't fit. Anyone else seen this?

pretty sure I read that their canbus installs into the 2019 and later models that have a blue canbus connector behind that panel. That’s probably why you can’t get it to fit. But I also think I saw somewhere that someone was able to ask them to send an earlier year model connector instead. I’m not 100% sure I recall all this correctly, but I at least think you should ask them.

Just got the V4 kit after some shipping issues, they sent a Model X Frunk first.....

My 3 is an AWD Built in 12/2018

Anyways trying to track down a a CANBUS question hansshow support has not gotten back to me.

The kit has an adapter labeled ODB that connects in the back of the center console under the rear AC vent. However it doesn't fit. Anyone else seen this? View attachment 560807View attachment 560808View attachment 560812View attachment 560814

Is there another place to connect the CANBUS? The unit seems to work totally fine without it. Foot sensor was fine.
View attachment 560811

As an added bonus, being here in Vermont I took off the bumper and got some mud out. The mud doubled the weight of the bumper!
View attachment 560806

That is definitely a 2019+ connector. When I bought my TeslaOffer kit, they were very specific about whether my car was 2018 or older vs 2019+. They even contacted me to double check to make sure they sent me the proper connector. I'm not sure if Hansshow even has a CANBUS adapter for the older cars at this point but I'm sure they will if not yet. As @univ0298 mentions, newer cars have blue connector that has more pins than older cars with white connector. Even if the proper connector is available, other people that have installed the Hansshow kit with the CANBUS connector have reported that it made no difference whether plugged in or not.

I did hear from them and basically said I could cut some wires to tap into it. Which I would prefer not to do.

Since my car is a 2018, the connector is different confirmed of course here and from them.

They did say it will not open when moving due to the auto locking.

What I am curious of is I know the button disappears on the screen, but it does stay in the mobile app. I’m going to test it later to see if it will pop.

I’d hate to drive over some road kill and have the thing pop from the foot sensor.

I did hear from them and basically said I could cut some wires to tap into it. Which I would prefer not to do.

Since my car is a 2018, the connector is different confirmed of course here and from them.

They did say it will not open when moving due to the auto locking.

What I am curious of is I know the button disappears on the screen, but it does stay in the mobile app. I’m going to test it later to see if it will pop.

I’d hate to drive over some road kill and have the thing pop from the foot sensor.

@mikeskuro,

Is that HansShows answer? That they won’t send you the 2018 adapter and that you should just start cutting and tapping wires yourself to retrofit the incorrect adapter that is incompatible? Do they even HAVE an adapter for 2018s?

Ski

Reactions: univ0298
I guess we now know Hansshow doesn't make a connector for cars pre-2019 (for the time being anyways). Maybe you can see if TeslaOffer will sell one of their 2018 connectors. I'm assuming it's the same and at worse you'd have to tap wiring on the connector itself rather than factory Tesla wiring.
Pre2019Can.jpg

Last edited:
I guess we now know Hansshow doesn't make a connector for cars pre-2019 (for the time being anyways). Maybe you can see if TeslaOffer will sell one of their 2018 connectors. I'm assuming it's the same and at worse you'd have to tap wiring on the connector itself rather than factory Tesla wiring.
View attachment 561125

Do you know that for sure (I.e. they’ve contacted you and confirmed this) or are you surmising?

Ski

Do you know that for sure (I.e. they’ve contacted you and confirmed this) or are you surmising?

Ski
Guesses and assumptions only. Guessing Hansshow doesn't currently make pre-2019 connector since they didn't offer to send mikeskuro one. Assuming CANBUS connector is accessing same signal for both brands as it would seem odd they tap the CANBUS differently. No idea if TeslaOffer would sell one of their pre-2019 connectors but never know unless the question is asked.

The only thing I know for fact is that TeslaOffer has both pre-2019 and 2019+ connectors for their 2.5 kit. They have a YouTube video showing their 2019+ connector and they sent my the proper pre-2019 connector for my 2018 car.