Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happiness Guarantee Vanished ...... Now you see it .. now you don't ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed my order for my new Model X on August 24th 2016 convinced by the Tesla "Happiness Guarantee" that was on the web site at the time I paid my deposit - but as of last night the guarantee had vanished from the Tesla website - is it me or did anybody else notice that ?

I'm assuming they will still honor it as that was one of the deciding factors that helped me place my order .... just in case I start getting infuriating problems with it like two of my friends have with the doors.

Reactions: srini
Hey Avee8r i think you have a valid point - i also noticed that on the Tesla site after i placed my order last week. That response you just got from 'Electricity' was irrelevant crap - you can see he has 50 dislikes on his posts on this forum so who cares what he thinks (!) clearly its smart to want to protect your 100 grand investment and i will be taking this up with my local dealer later today - lets keep in touch with the responses we get from Tesla on this.

Hi yes leasing for 2 years - I normally buy all my cars but for this one I chose a short term lease. I only joined this forum today to see what type of people are on here and if its useful - I honestly thought my initial posted question was justified - I'm not trying to insult anyone - Tesla has great technology buts it is 'bleeding edge' and everyone's wants to know they are being careful with their money right ? The attitude of 'If you don't like it then go elsewhere' as posted above doesn't actually help solve the problem - which is a real issue not just for me but for many others I'm sure - who may not even know about this possible 'bait and switch' - the removal of this guarantee wasn't mentioned anywhere on their site or their publicity - so if its true then its a bit sneaky.

They ended the Happiness Guarantee around the time the P100D was announced. You may want to call your DS and ask about it. Since you have not signed the actual Happiness Guarantee nor the lease yet, Tesla will most likely not present one to you upon delivery of the car.

If you really want that "out" clause you'd better make sure to call your DS to find out if you are still eligible.

Hi yes leasing for 2 years - I normally buy all my cars but for this one I chose a short term lease. I only joined this forum today to see what type of people are on here and if its useful - I honestly thought my initial posted question was justified - I'm not trying to insult anyone - Tesla has great technology buts it is 'bleeding edge' and everyone's wants to know they are being careful with their money right ? The attitude of 'If you don't like it then go elsewhere' as posted above doesn't actually help solve the problem - which is a real issue not just for me but for many others I'm sure - who may not even know about this possible 'bait and switch' - the removal of this guarantee wasn't mentioned anywhere on their site or their publicity - so if its true then its a bit sneaky.
You have to shift through a decent amount of fanboy syndrome on here, but there's a lot of useful information if you plan on accepting delivery.

The attitude of 'If you don't like it then go elsewhere' as posted above doesn't actually help solve the problem

Careful.

Don't start talking like that...of "problems". There are no problems. Only things that need to be eventually fixed.

Otherwise people will think you are a short, a troll, and some will asking for you to prove you actually ordered the car, etc.

I would suggest talking to Tesla (vs. a forum) and see if either you can still get the guarantee (unlikely, but it is worth asking) or can cancel your order if you are that unhappy.

Good luck

Wow, I would actually only buy a Model X if it has the guarantee. Let's face it, this is not the most reliable cars on the road, but that shouldn't stop anyone from getting one.

Getting a good, trouble free car is hit or miss with Tesla. They are a new car company, facing cash funding issues. I totally understand that there will be compromises in the build quality.

I would double check with your DS and if they aren't make it available, make sure you download the check list and go over your car with a fine tooth comb. What's also scary is that they won't let you test drive the vehicle your ordered when it arrives unless you sign a check over to them first. Almost unheard and poor on Tesla's part considering they are trying to be that "different car company."

Wow, I would actually only buy a Model X if it has the guarantee. Let's face it, this is not the most reliable cars on the road, but that shouldn't stop anyone from getting one.

Getting a good, trouble free car is hit or miss with Tesla. They are a new car company, facing cash funding issues. I totally understand that there will be compromises in the build quality.

I would double check with your DS and if they aren't make it available, make sure you download the check list and go over your car with a fine tooth comb. What's also scary is that they won't let you test drive the vehicle your ordered when it arrives unless you sign a check over to them first. Almost unheard and poor on Tesla's part considering they are trying to be that "different car company."
Only for leases. Not purchases.

Correct, only for leases, and for 90 days......your warranty is far more important.
And FWIW, the effort to make owners happy is extraordinary and goes well beyond 90 days. Be reasonable and they respond valiantly.
I think your signature says it best, I also believe @electricity 's response to the OP was somewhat "protective", the reality is @Avee8r, if you are already looking for ways to get out of a Tesla before actually getting into one, you are missing the point. The doors, the windshield, AP and the seats are all pretty spectacular individually, but to have them all in one car is really quite an accomplishment. If you fail to realize this notion, then maybe owning the Model X even if it was flawless would not trigger "happiness" that Tesla can "Guarantee". This is especially true if you had any issue that needed service. On that note, Tesla service is by far second to none. For the few minor issues I have had, they made me feel like I was their most important customer and that all my concerns had to be addressed to my satisfaction. That is worth more than some marketing term being removed from their site. Tesla is growing, with that growth will come some policy maturation, the ones who have stuck it out from the beginning might get defensive about certain things that new buyers say or think. I know I am this way, but I can see it both ways. Tesla will be moving from a niche into the mainstream shortly with the Model 3 and has to adapt to the marketing "terminology" to keep ahead. This might be evidence of that, but your warranty and excellent customer service are just as valuable if not more than the "happiness guarantee".

That is a strange way of thinking : if you are dissatisfied with a product, it is necessarily your fault... WTF ? :eek:

Ofcourse, what is this a shirt you are buying ? You have manufacturing guarantees for problems like everyone else and that is perfect. I expect that aswell but a happiness guarantee ? I think it was a good idea for Tesla at the beginning not now that they proved they make the best cars on the planet.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteCap and srini

@onesixeight - you have been around this forum for quite some time though I can't make out if you are an owner yet. However, you made several incorrect conclusions regarding Model X and Tesla:
"Not the most reliable car on the road" - nothing could be farther than truth. Just because a few early cars had issues with the complex design of doors doesn't make the car as a whole unreliable. And the issues are not recurring with the ones being produced now.

"Compromises on build quality due to cash liquidity of tesla" - their cash situation is far better than when they introduced Model S. And it costs them way more to make repairs than do a better job at the factory. Tesla has never been a company that would compromise on quality intentionally and pass of a poor product to its customers.

"Getting a good trouble free car is a hit or miss with Tesla" - again a completely unfounded statement. Except for some Model Xs that had issues, almost all of Model Ss are flawless.

"No test drive before you pay" - did you have a personal experience like that? TBH, in the last 15 years before I became a Tesla customer, I actually never test drove the actual MB or Lexus I was purchasing. Cars like this are built to a certain quality and a test drive of the actual vehicle is not going to reveal any flaws. There engines and suspension is not going to fall apart during a test drive. If you're buying a used vehicle then it does make sense to test drive it.

Until recently, I was an owner of an S90D. I took advantage of the Happiness Guarantee and returned my vehicle to Tesla. Reasons were two fold. First, a dentist-drill type whine from the front motor at 20-50 mph that developed at 1500 miles. Many others have this same problem. SC said that this was a normal sound and that the sound on many other cars was worse. Could be unique to 4wd cars or the 90D since other P-90d's I have test drove do not have it and any car I test drove prior to ordering did not have it. So in my case, SC would not repair/replace any parts under warrantee. So just having the warrantee was not sufficient. I needed the Happiness Guarantee to not have to be irritated by this whine for the 3-year term of my lease. It is acknowledged that others may not have the same reaction to the noise but for me it was unacceptable in a $110k car. Second, it took 6 weeks to make an appointment at my service center which is an hour drive away, and is overwhelmed with repairs. Loaner cars are also frequently unavailable for the same reason. This did not give me confidence that important repair issues in the future could be handled in an appropriately expedited fashion.

oh crap i'm getting dislikes on my initial comment. Let me try to explain what I said again. When you purchase a Tesla you need to understand that you are getting into a company that is 4 years old. (I know it's not 4 but you know what I mean) . If you don't expect some problems to arise from that fact you should just go and get a lexus or porsche or something :oops:

In my case, I am an engineer and had my eyes wide open through the whole process. I very much researched and wanted a Tesla Model S, and would still like to own one that is reasonably trouble-free, with a good service center support situation. I have solar cells on my roof and traded in a Chevy Volt, which I drove 90% on battery power, so was very familiar with electric vehicle environmental and performance benefits. However, prior to my order, Consumer Reports removed Tesla from its list of recommended cars due to reliability problems. I read numerous reports of problems on the forums and heard from friends that owned Tesla's regarding their reliability issues. In the past, many car makers have gone through periods where their vehicle reliability has been sub-par. During those periods, I avoided purchasing those vehicles and would have with Tesla except for the Happiness Guarantee, so the guarantee worked to get me into the Tesla owners community. Trust me that I agonized over the decision to turn in my vehicle or not since I really liked driving it and fully support the electrification of vehicle transportation from an environmental perspective. The return also cost me since I had spent $2,000 on opticoat/clear bra/tinting, and Tesla charged me $1,200 for a barely visible mark in the rear bumper due to a 2 mph hit, as well as 3 months worth of lease payments.

Reactions: tmarcc and srini
In my case, I am an engineer and had my eyes wide open through the whole process. I very much researched and wanted a Tesla Model S, and would still like to own one that is reasonably trouble-free, with a good service center support situation. I have solar cells on my roof and traded in a Chevy Volt, which I drove 90% on battery power, so was very familiar with electric vehicle environmental and performance benefits. However, prior to my order, Consumer Reports removed Tesla from its list of recommended cars due to reliability problems. I read numerous reports of problems on the forums and heard from friends that owned Tesla's regarding their reliability issues. In the past, many car makers have gone through periods where their vehicle reliability has been sub-par. During those periods, I avoided purchasing those vehicles and would have with Tesla except for the Happiness Guarantee, so the guarantee worked to get me into the Tesla owners community. Trust me that I agonized over the decision to turn in my vehicle or not since I really liked driving it and fully support the electrification of vehicle transportation from an environmental perspective. The return also cost me since I had spent $2,000 on opticoat/clear bra/tinting, and Tesla charged me $1,200 for a barely visible mark in the rear bumper due to a 2 mph hit, as well as 3 months worth of lease payments.

Im with you on the service center part. Having to wait 6 weeks for an appointment is not ok. I wonder why Tesla doesn't allready sell a sort of franchise thing for authorized service centers to get a load of their backs on that regard? They have to be planning some sort of thing like that before Model 3 or else it will be hellish for everyone. I don't think they expected to be selling the amount of 100k cars they are selling at this point.

Until recently, I was an owner of an S90D. I took advantage of the Happiness Guarantee and returned my vehicle to Tesla. Reasons were two fold. First, a dentist-drill type whine from the front motor at 20-50 mph that developed at 1500 miles. Many others have this same problem. SC said that this was a normal sound and that the sound on many other cars was worse. Could be unique to 4wd cars or the 90D since other P-90d's I have test drove do not have it and any car I test drove prior to ordering did not have it. So in my case, SC would not repair/replace any parts under warrantee. So just having the warrantee was not sufficient. I needed the Happiness Guarantee to not have to be irritated by this whine for the 3-year term of my lease. It is acknowledged that others may not have the same reaction to the noise but for me it was unacceptable in a $110k car. Second, it took 6 weeks to make an appointment at my service center which is an hour drive away, and is overwhelmed with repairs. Loaner cars are also frequently unavailable for the same reason. This did not give me confidence that important repair issues in the future could be handled in an appropriately expedited fashion.
@rgreen - your post is informative and well balanced. And I understand that California probably has more SCs than any other state. Your issue with the whine reminds me of the jet engine mode on my MX which the SC was seeing several cars with the issue and assumed it to be normal or at least were being told by the factory. They are very much dependent upon guidance from the factory. With the MX, ultimately it was found that some cars had condenser lines crossed and that resolved the issue for them. However, that's not the case with my MX and EM tweeted about the issue several weeks ago so I still have hope since it has been recognized at the highest level.

Did you seek another SC to review the issue with your vehicle or escalate to HQ? I have seen that it helps to escalate if local SC is not showing interest in resolving the issue. As consumers, we shouldn't settle unless they fix the issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
Did you seek another SC to review the issue with your vehicle or escalate to HQ? I have seen that it helps to escalate if local SC is not showing interest in resolving the issue. As consumers, we shouldn't settle unless they fix the issue.

Unfortunately for @rgreen , there is only one service center in their entire state. So being concerned about support seems very legitimate, as they didn't have any alternatives. The OP being in CA, will have some options, but it is interesting the guarantee has been removed. I am guessing Tesla feels they have enough sales volume now they don't have to offer those sorts of clauses anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.