Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Hard) Acceleration with low SOC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard acceleration causes the current drawn from the battery to spike.
Is there any potential harm to the battery when flooring the "gas" pedal with an SOC of say < 25% (or 20/15/10%)? Or will the BMS take care of this by limiting the current, and therefore the acceleration?
It seems like that there is still plenty of power available, even below 20% SOC, which I discovered the other day and that made me wonder ....

Hard acceleration causes the current drawn from the battery to spike.
Is there any potential harm to the battery when flooring the "gas" pedal with an SOC of say < 25% (or 20/15/10%)? Or will the BMS take care of this by limiting the current, and therefore the acceleration?
Mostly "don't worry about it" as @Sophias_dad described. The car will limit it however it needs to, and you can't harm the car.

The only kind of exception I will say is that when some people are riding on fumes of the last 1 or 2% and trying to reach somewhere to charge, it's getting iffy about when the car will decide it's done and go into shutoff. Stomping on the accelerator as you describe does spike the current, which will sag the voltage a little, and it can cause the car to hit that shutdown sooner than if you took it easy, which might get you a little more range at the end. This still isn't a harm to the car, but may piss you off if it strands you unnecessarily.