Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware 4 vin numbers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being able to transfer FSD during Q3 has me considering purchasing a new MX.

From discussions in this forum it appears the FSDb might be limited awaiting software updates but I can deal with a delay. I do want hardware 4 with the new radar and upgraded cameras. Is there a way to determine if those features are present based upon the serial number or build date?

After a visit today to view the MX at a showroom I was reminded that the new cameras have a red mark in the lens but I don’t know if that also means it would have hardware 4.
I asked my rep at the Tesla Delivery Center and he confirmed that the Red Markers in the Cameras indicate that it is HW4. You can also request to see the specs to confirm what HW your car has-YMMV.

Upvote 0
My delivery is set for tomorrow. I will know for certain at that point. Thanks to all for the responses.
If red markers in camera lens means HW4, why does TMC's podcast say no Teslas have full HW4, only partial, what TMC is calling HW3.5, see podcast, Why Tesla is going to allow for one-time FSD transfers | TMC Podcast #47. TMC warns against going for FSD transfer as you are being tricked into making a purchase before full HW4.0 which is not expected until EOY. Red in lens only means new cameras. What is the truth?

Upvote 0
HW4 on Model S and X has been in since late January and 100% of them now has it. I just got a Model X in mid-June and it was HW4. Every car on showroom floors, outside on lot, all have HW4. If you're considering a Model X (or S), you can get now and it will have HW4.
Same with Model Ys, all new ones seem to be on HW4.

Reactions: skytom88
Upvote 0
HW3.5 and HW4.5 are made up terms and just pure speculation. Eventually there will be HW5 and HW6 so you can keep waiting if you want.
This is not what my post was about. I'm not waiting for anything, just would like to have factual clarification if possible. Is TMC correct in stating in podcast #47 that no one is getting full HW4 at this point? I have already owned two Teslas since 2017 and I purchased FSD on both. I will trade in my 2017 MX 100D probably within the next 3-years. I will never again purchase any vehicle or feature that is promised to be delivered in the future. In three years I will consider purchasing any electric luxury SUV that has NACS. I will only consider features that work at time of purchase. If Tesla has working FSD in 3-years and offers transfer of FSD to new Tesla, that would be an advantage to consider at that time, not now.

Upvote 0
What is the truth?
The truth?

We humans possess a chronic blind spot is failing to understand the null which leads us to (re)commit the age old sin of bias confirmation, presumably in order to protect the various - and perhaps at times noble - lies/untruths which serve as the 'moral' bedrock for our society.

The Truth is dangerous and the last thing people want; rather instead people prefer to have what can be plausibly believed to be the truth manufactured just beyond the event horizon of their perception and then fed back to them to confirm the biases (biases, preferences, beliefs, etc. I might add that are assigned to them) and agree with what they already believe.

So...truth. There you go. Best not pick at that particular thread.

just would like to have factual clarification if possible.
And people in hell want ice water.

Is TMC correct in stating in podcast #47 that no one is getting full HW4 at this point?
No idea.

I think there may be a definition problem here.

Does "HW4" mean just the physical hardware (new cameras, new silicon, etc.)?

Or does HW4 mean the ability for a HW4-equipped vehicle to deliver the FSD functionality, assuming the correct software license are present?

Or does it mean some features, but not all features available with older hardware versions, are available to HW4 vehicles and whatever missing features are expected to be delivered 'soon'?

Devil will be in the details here.
I will trade in my 2017 MX 100D probably within the next 3-years. I will never again purchase any vehicle or feature that is promised to be delivered in the future.
You're not wrong to say this. I recall buying FSD for $3k in 2016, shortly after Tesla announced AP2, and wonder if a three grand dice roll was going to be worth it.

If Tesla has working FSD in 3-years and offers transfer of FSD to new Tesla, that would be an advantage to consider at that time, not now.
Not to nitpick but can you define what steps you would consider FSD to be delivered? (I don't know the answer myself - just curious to see how others view it).

Anyways back to the other point: with the macro landscape nosediving off a cliff coming in for a soft landing, one would presume Tesla may be compelled to offer even more generous promotions in the not too distant future...if one can wait, it may be best to wait.

Upvote 0