Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardwiring Accessories in Newer Model Ys (2022-2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, first time starting a thread. I recently picked up my 2023 Model Y, and one of the first things I wanted was to hardwire my phone mount charger. I like the clean look and convenience :). There are quite a few threads and YouTube videos on how to hardwire your dashcam, phone charger, etc.:
  • Driver’s side footwell - there’s an open port for the trailer brake that should be supplying 15V. Unfortunately, Tesla apparently has turned this off with the newer vehicles, and at the time of this post, has still not implemented a fix for this yet (search other posts on this issue)
  • Front passenger side footwell - Good luck trying to find the right wire here. There are loads of red wires, and none of them seem to be the 15V source. I tested about 7 of them buried in the bundle with no luck.
I decided to tapping into the center console where the USB-C ports live (and where I currently had routed the cable to the 12V cigarette lighter port. It would make sense since this is where you’d normally plug your phone into anyways.

I unfortunately didn’t take a lot of photos for this install, but hopefully it’s enough to at least give you an idea of where to route your cables and where to hardwire. This method is actually incredibly easy, and require less removal of panels.

Once you have access to the rear of the panel where your two USB-C ports live in your center storage, you’ll see a gray, black, red, and blue wire. You want to tap into the red for power, and black for your ground. This should give you a constant 15V of power to your accessories.

Please note: this port doesn’t turn off when the car is “off”. You can test this out yourself before taking anything apart by plugging your phone into the USB-C port and then locking up your car. Make sure you are aware of this if you plan to do this for a radar detector, dashcam, etc., that doesn’t have an auto-shutdown.

If you need more detail or have any questions, I’m happy to respond and provide any help I can. Thanks.

9FBF671C-F071-4A81-85C5-4B8B28CFE7E5.jpeg

Attachments

• 7CE218F8-AC8B-419E-A5F1-445A90AE2ED0.jpeg
    7CE218F8-AC8B-419E-A5F1-445A90AE2ED0.jpeg
    593.1 KB · Views: 813
  • 251D5C60-BE2D-46D9-A0F5-E4E1D7965CCA.jpeg
    251D5C60-BE2D-46D9-A0F5-E4E1D7965CCA.jpeg
    526.9 KB · Views: 792
there’s an open port for the trailer brake that should be supplying 15V. Unfortunately, Tesla apparently has turned this off with the newer vehicles, and at the time of this post, has still not implemented a fix for this yet (search other posts on this issue

I think you may be talking about Pin 4, which is low voltage auxiliary power, the trailer break pin is only powered when you step on the brake, I believe. If so, the reason it is dead is because it is 15V. From the MY manual:

“Vehicles with a lead-acid low voltage battery have auxiliary power. Vehicles with low voltage lithium-ion batteries do not have auxiliary power at this time. You can determine which battery your vehicle is equipped with by touching Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information.”

I think you may be talking about Pin 4, which is low voltage auxiliary power, the trailer break pin is only powered when you step on the brake, I believe. If so, the reason it is dead is because it is 15V. From the MY manual:

“Vehicles with a lead-acid low voltage battery have auxiliary power. Vehicles with low voltage lithium-ion batteries do not have auxiliary power at this time. You can determine which battery your vehicle is equipped with by touching Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information.”
Thanks! And yep, the 4-pin is what I was referring to. I did tests as well with being in the car, stepping on the brakes, etc. No voltage, nada. Seems a little strange to me that they sell the harness and the trailer hitch kit still but can’t hook it to that port.

Hey all, first time starting a thread. I recently picked up my 2023 Model Y, and one of the first things I wanted was to hardwire my phone mount charger. I like the clean look and convenience :). There are quite a few threads and YouTube videos on how to hardwire your dashcam, phone charger, etc.:
  • Driver’s side footwell - there’s an open port for the trailer brake that should be supplying 15V. Unfortunately, Tesla apparently has turned this off with the newer vehicles, and at the time of this post, has still not implemented a fix for this yet (search other posts on this issue)
  • Front passenger side footwell - Good luck trying to find the right wire here. There are loads of red wires, and none of them seem to be the 15V source. I tested about 7 of them buried in the bundle with no luck.
I also have a 2023 MY and I just checked my trailer brake port and I'm getting about 15V. I don't know if that will still be the case when I install the new software update at midnight. I just uploaded a video a minute ago showing this, among other sources for 12V power (15V) in the front. The red wire is hot, and the black wire is ground. But I actually tapped a red wire on VCLeft and grounded it to metal, so I could power my phone holder, phone charger, and tablet.
I also show which red wire is the switched 12V power on the VCRight (front passenger). yeah, my first red wire was a dud. But here's the correct wire that turns on 15V when I press the brake pedal.

I also have a 2023 MY and I just checked my trailer brake port and I'm getting about 15V. I don't know if that will still be the case when I install the new software update at midnight. I just uploaded a video a minute ago showing this, among other sources for 12V power (15V) in the front. The red wire is hot, and the black wire is ground. But I actually tapped a red wire on VCLeft and grounded it to metal, so I could power my phone holder, phone charger, and tablet.
I also show which red wire is the switched 12V power on the VCRight (front passenger). yeah, my first red wire was a dud. But here's the correct wire that turns on 15V when I press the brake pedal.
Nice to meet the man behind the videos :)! I watched your second one quite a few times, and gave me the idea to try tapping into the VCRight. Unfortunately, I tried looking for and tested 6 different cables. No luck. I may have had better luck if I had a second body to help sit on and press the brakes while I had my multimeter testing the wires.

Definitely 0 volts coming in to that 4 pin (see attached photo). It’s apparently a common issue that people have since mid-22 depending on what battery you have. Hopefully you won’t experience the same issue after your software updates.

Attachments

• 2A91C4DE-1914-4F2A-AB1D-8B9C75BA4E19.jpeg
    2A91C4DE-1914-4F2A-AB1D-8B9C75BA4E19.jpeg
    736.3 KB · Views: 878
Here’s a thought. I believe Pin 3 is for the running lights, so it should have power whenever the car lights are on. Before we had daytime running lights it was fairly common to leave the headlights on all the time, for safety.

Here’s a thought. I believe Pin 3 is for the running lights, so it should have power whenever the car lights are on. Before we had daytime running lights it was fairly common to leave the headlights on all the time, for safety.
I thought this as well, and so I tested the wires in every combination possible, even going so far as to using the metal frame for the ground instead of the black wire. No luck.

I thought this as well, and so I tested the wires in every combination possible, even going so far as to using the metal frame for the ground instead of the black wire. No luck.
Actually I think it is Pin 7, but if you checked them all, that is interesting. I did find this in the MY manual:

Trailer Mode​

Trailer Mode must always be active when towing a trailer. When you connect a trailer’s electrical connection while the vehicle is in Park, Model Y automatically engages Trailer Mode. When you disconnect the trailer’s electrical connection, Trailer Mode does not automatically disengage. To manually engage or disengage Trailer Mode, touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen.

Actually I think it is Pin 7, but if you checked them all, that is interesting. I did find this in the MY manual:

Trailer Mode​

Trailer Mode must always be active when towing a trailer. When you connect a trailer’s electrical connection while the vehicle is in Park, Model Y automatically engages Trailer Mode. When you disconnect the trailer’s electrical connection, Trailer Mode does not automatically disengage. To manually engage or disengage Trailer Mode, touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen.

Oh that’s interesting. Is it actually detects what’s being tapped/plugged in, rather than a constant power source. That would explain why it hasn’t worked from a conventional sense for a lot of people.

interesting. My trailer port pin is constant power (or constant after activating the brake pedal), with 14.8V. I didn't test the grounding pin. But one of the 4 pins is constant power. I'm not doubting yours is zero power. I'm just making a mental note. My myl2023 was built in Austin, probably around nov 2022.

interesting. My trailer port pin is constant power (or constant after activating the brake pedal), with 14.8V. I didn't test the grounding pin. But one of the 4 pins is constant power. I'm not doubting yours is zero power. I'm just making a mental note. My myl2023 was built in Austin, probably around nov 2022.
That’s even more interesting. I heard that Austin builds are different than the Fremont ones. It may further affirms the assumption that there’s a difference in the battery, and that Tesla turned it off for my vehicle.

oh yes, for sure there are a few differences - I can't install sexy buttons on my Y because it was built in Austin - https://abstractocean.com/collections/gift-ideas/products/s3xy-buttons (actually, I could install it since I do have the OBD in the back, but it was interesting to see that note about Austin Teslas)
That’s even more interesting. I heard that Austin builds are different than the Fremont ones. It may further affirms the assumption that there’s a difference in the battery, and that Tesla turned it off for my vehicle.

I decided to tapping into the center console where the USB-C ports live (and where I currently had routed the cable to the 12V cigarette lighter port. It would make sense since this is where you’d normally plug your phone into anyways.

I unfortunately didn’t take a lot of photos for this install, but hopefully it’s enough to at least give you an idea of where to route your cables and where to hardwire. This method is actually incredibly easy, and require less removal of panels.

Once you have access to the rear of the panel where your two USB-C ports live in your center storage, you’ll see a gray, black, red, and blue wire. You want to tap into the red for power, and black for your ground. This should give you a constant 15V of power to your accessories.

Please note: this port doesn’t turn off when the car is “off”. You can test this out yourself before taking anything apart by plugging your phone into the USB-C port and then locking up your car. Make sure you are aware of this if you plan to do this for a radar detector, dashcam, etc., that doesn’t have an auto-shutdown.

If you need more detail or have any questions, I’m happy to respond and provide any help I can. Thanks.
I just took delivery of my MYLR on Saturday. I've mounted my phone charger to the upper-left corner of my display because I like to use WAZE for speed trap info. I'd like to route the USB C plug down and into the front of the console, then into the front storage, where I can plug it into one of the existing USB-C outlets. What panels would I have to remove to achieve this? TIA

View attachment 902958

Thanks for posting this. Very easy to do it looks like. Also, regarding the power being constantly on, I read somewhere there is a shut-off delay after you exit the car. I think it's 3 mins or 5 mins.

Did you have to strip the wires before testing. I have alligator clips for my multimeter and was wondering if it will read through the insulation.

Guys does anybody have a tip how to hardwire it on Y 2022 Made in Shanghai? I tried to tap it into the passenger footwell wires I tested like 7 wires and none of them had 12-15v so I left it like that. I have different wiring than the youtube tutorials, no pink wire there etc. Any tips? Would really appreciate that.

Did you have to strip the wires before testing. I have alligator clips for my multimeter and was wondering if it will read through the insulation.
My multimeter was getting confused with so many wires nearby interfering. So I did it the old fashioned way - poke the wire to measure with a voltmeter. That's how I found the 15V wires on VCLeft and VCRight. I put in clearer footage in my later videos.

I spend weeks analyzing S/X/3/Y cars with different accessory power points, determining when they are powered, the amount of current that could be used, and other factors. Here's the entire write-up: Accessory Power Guide 12v/5v – TeslaTap. Lots of photos and a few videos I created too.
wow that's a solid write-up! I wish I had something like that before spending hours looking at all my accessory power points. lol "We know some owners have succeeded and one broke the windshield getting into this area" - yeah, that camera housing is tight! I was barely able to get my wires through for my microphone (for gopro)