Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No plug in center console - where is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought some accessories for my 2023 Model Y for black friday. The electronic accessories want me to plug into a port that all the directions say is in the back seat area when you pop off the panel to the center console. Only problem is, when I pop the panel off, there is nothing there. It's empty. No ports. I'm a bit confused as to why this is and is there any designation for where the ports are located on different vehicles?

I got a center display and can't install it as there is no port under the center console in the rear.

If you're talking about the CAN bus, which is where the S3XY buttons connect the controller cable for example, that is already connected in the car. It's a connection that must be unplugged, and the device "piggy-backs" into it to expose an additional connection. There are steps to take before you do this however, the instructions should explain.
Maybe you can tell us what accessory it is, or post a picture of the instructions?

If you're talking about the CAN bus, which is where the S3XY buttons connect the controller cable for example, that is already connected in the car. It's a connection that must be unplugged, and the device "piggy-backs" into it to expose an additional connection. There are steps to take before you do this however, the instructions should explain.
Maybe you can tell us what accessory it is, or post a picture of the instructions?
Yes the SEXY buttons! They want me to plug into the CAN BUS which their install video shows is in the bottom of the center console. But when I pop off the plate at the rear of the center console by the rear seats it's just empty. There is no CAN BUS. So what's the deal?

You should see a white connector, already connected (two cables plugged together). This is what must be unplugged. You'll be inserting the S3XY buttons cable in between those two cables, thus completing the connection again. If you look at the S3XY cable you'll see it has three "heads": two that complete that connection and the third is an OBD port for the controller to plug in.
There's a recommendation to shut down the car before etc... Please follow that.

You should see a white connector, already connected (two cables plugged together). This is what must be unplugged. You'll be inserting the S3XY buttons cable in between those two cables, thus completing the connection again. If you look at the S3XY cable you'll see it has three "heads": two that complete that connection and the third is an OBD port for the controller to plug in.
There's a recommendation to shut down the car before etc... Please follow that.
You're missing what I'm saying. There is NOTHING - no wires, no connectors, etc under my center console. It's completely empty.

Have you looked at the enhauto website? I see this in their installation instructions as an option:
1701121320950.png

It looks like Tesla moved the location of this CAN bus connection. I saw Bjørn Nyland testing a new Model Y from Giga Berlin (with BYD blade battery) and he could not find the CAN bus. He was informed of a new location, I don't remember where, but I don't think he found it there either.

I recommend contacting the manufacturer of the SEXY buttons and ask if they know where Tesla has moved the connection.

Good Luck,

GSP

Yes the SEXY buttons! They want me to plug into the CAN BUS which their install video shows is in the bottom of the center console. But when I pop off the plate at the rear of the center console by the rear seats it's just empty. There is no CAN BUS. So what's the deal?

So, I dont have these devices but when I google search them and go to their website, one of the installation videos seems to address the specific question you are asking:

===================================

Model Y after June 2023​

Rear Installation​

dot.wpo53qijam4.svg

Location of the Rear connector moved from the back of the central console to the left side of the central console, next to the driver's footwell area. Connector and cable is the same as for Rear installation.
dot.wpo53qijam4.svg

Fast and easy installation at the left side of the Central Console, driver's footwell

===========================

I think @GtiMart and I posted this at the same time. I wasnt intending on piling on or anything, but I am going to leave my post here as corroboration that we both found the same install post on the s3xy button site.

Reactions: GtiMart