Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why people are shocked that these are not fitting well. Tesla hasn't made any meaningful changes to these. The mobile tech said it's far more rare to get one that fits right rather than not. I've personally been through 9 spoilers at this point either through dry fitting or actual install.

Continue to be more vocal directly to Tesla. The only way we are getting this properly fixed is if they find a financial reason to do so.

Seems like you guys can benefit from self install? (I know, its not an excuse)

But, clean it really good with some rubbing alcohol, get some really good automotive 3M tape, and install...

hmmm you guys think I can make a business out of this? Pretty much every car Ive had uses 3M tape for the spoiler, all self installed...

Unless the spoilers are just produced with "off" measurements and do not align correctly.

Reactions: KenC

But, clean it really good with some rubbing alcohol, get some really good automotive 3M tape, and install...

hmmm you guys think I can make a business out of this? Pretty much every car Ive had uses 3M tape for the spoiler, all self installed...

Unless the spoilers are just produced with "off" measurements and do not align correctly.
I would love to see what the techs do, cause I installed my OEM spoiler, purchased on eBay, and it’s still perfect. Besides cleaning the trunk lip well, with alcohol, you have to heat the tape, and squeeze it down on the trunk hard. Once it’s stuck, it shouldn’t lift, that’s adhesive that wasn’t properly adhered.

I would love to see what the techs do, cause I installed my OEM spoiler, purchased on eBay, and it’s still perfect. Besides cleaning the trunk lip well, with alcohol, you have to heat the tape, and squeeze it down on the trunk hard. Once it’s stuck, it shouldn’t lift, that’s adhesive that wasn’t properly adhered.

Exactly. I've never had a problem with it lifting, only if the car is pushing 10+ years, then maybe :D

No, the spoilers are clearly not accurately fitted and carbon fiber is extremely rigid. All of them fit differently when you dry fit them. They are supposedly hand made rather than precisely made.

Sadly my 4th install is even worse than my last one. They left a decent gap at the top where it contacts the trunk lid AND it's starting to lift on the right side already.

Like I mentioned before. Virtually every tech I've talked to that installs these says virtually none of them are fitting correctly. I've said it once and I'll continue to say it. If we want this properly fixed we need to escalate up to corporate. They need to stop producing these and take it back to the drawing board. They are literally pissing away money as each spoiler they replace gets thrown away.

Not to sound like a broken record, but at some point I think we have to accept that the OEM spoiler (in it's current form) will never be a viable option for everyone. Some owners got lucky and that's awesome. How many installs before enough is enough? Do you have the option of asking for a refund? Or are you stuck trying again and again until you get one that actually fits and stay attached?

It really is a matter of taste, I personally like some of the top-of-trunk options better than the back-of-trunk (OEM) type. I think it gives the car a more aggressive look. Plus I'd be constantly afraid that pulling on the OEM spoiler to close the trunk (how many people actually use the handle) would cause the spoiler to come off.

My recommendation again is the IKON Motorsports spoiler. It arrived in a week, took all of ten minutes to install (by myself, and I had never done anything like this before), and hasn't shown any signs of peeling off. Best of all, it looks great. (have a look at the pics).

It's super cheap, too. If you look at the pics in the Amazon reviews you'll see that it can even be painted if you don't like the carbon fiber:
https://amzn.to/33Zj9bu

These are all pics of my Model 3 with the IKON Motorsports spoiler on it:

IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0793.JPG tesla2.jpg tesla1.jpg

I did record of video of me installing it -- I had planned on editing it to be an unboxing/installation/review video. I should hop on that, might help if I posted it here.

No, the spoilers are clearly not accurately fitted and carbon fiber is extremely rigid. All of them fit differently when you dry fit them. They are supposedly hand made rather than precisely made.

Sadly my 4th install is even worse than my last one. They left a decent gap at the top where it contacts the trunk lid AND it's starting to lift on the right side already.

Like I mentioned before. Virtually every tech I've talked to that installs these says virtually none of them are fitting correctly. I've said it once and I'll continue to say it. If we want this properly fixed we need to escalate up to corporate. They need to stop producing these and take it back to the drawing board. They are literally pissing away money as each spoiler they replace gets thrown away.
Hand made? What does that mean? They lay the pre-preg CF into the mold by hand before putting it in the vacuum bag before the autoclave? Surely, that shouldn't make a difference, should it? It's in a vacuum mold!

The problem is the spoiler isn't staying stuck, because the adhesive can't hold. Why? Is it weak adhesive? Is it poorly prepped surface? Do we know if the adhesive is coming off the car, or is coming off the spoiler? Why are there so few complaints of factory-installed spoilers? What are they doing differently in the factory than in the field?

So all the aftermarket spoilers do look worse than the tesla ones (assuming they could fit correctly).

Adhesive is only one part of the issue but there is no way any adhesive will be able to force carbon fiber to mold to the edges.

For fun here is the 3rd or 4th spoiler. I've honestly lost track. I think it's the 3rd that has actually been mounted and the 9th that has been dry fitted

It's actually almost hilarious to me that it is worse than the one they replaced since there is the large gap on top and the side is separating

Gy9oQXt.jpg

At some point you gotta cut your losses and accept that the blade-type spoilers really do kinda suck. Who wants to drives an otherwise flawless car always worrying that your spoiler is peeling off? Do you find yourself doing a spoiler check every time you walk up to your car?

I just took some more pics (below) of my IKON spoiler after reading the previous post. In those two months, the car has baked in the sun, gotten rained on multiple times, been washes many times, had the trunk pulled down, driven at fast highway speeds, etc. and shows ZERO SIGNS of lifting up anywhere. Seriously, I can't recommend it enough. I've never seen it in matte finish, but it can be painted (see painted picks in one of the Amazon review in the link below). I left mine as glossy carbon fiber since I think it looks amazing on my Pearl White M3.

I recorded myself installing it (in less than ten minutes). I should really edit it and post it to show how easy it is to install.

IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1119.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg

At some point you gotta cut your losses and accept that the blade-type spoilers really do kinda suck. Who wants to drives an otherwise flawless car always worrying that your spoiler is peeling off? Do you find yourself doing a spoiler check every time you walk up to your car?

I just took some more pics (below) of my IKON spoiler after reading the previous post. In those two months, the car has baked in the sun, gotten rained on multiple times, been washes many times, had the trunk pulled down, driven at fast highway speeds, etc. and shows ZERO SIGNS of lifting up anywhere. Seriously, I can't recommend it enough. I've never seen it in matte finish, but it can be painted (see painted picks in one of the Amazon review in the link below). I left mine as glossy carbon fiber since I think it looks amazing on my Pearl White M3.

I recorded myself installing it (in less than ten minutes). I should really edit it and post it to show how easy it is to install.

View attachment 446925 View attachment 446924 View attachment 446923 View attachment 446922 View attachment 446921

Did it come with the adhesive?

Reactions: Rothgarr
Did it come with the adhesive?
The listing didn't indicate that it came with adhesive, but mine came with adhesive, yes. Interestingly enough, it didn't appear to say 3M on it. Either way, it's stuck on there real good and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Mine also came with two additional small strips at each end. Maybe this is why it's holding so well?