Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had the Mobile tech install my spoiler this morning. I wasn’t around so I didn’t get to see how they did it, nor did I get to reject it as it’s visibly coming up at both ends.

Love the look, can’t be beat on a solid black car, and this may sound kind of silly to some, but the spoiler was the reason I chose solid black. I certainly didn’t do it to save the money, as I was already $70k deep in this thing. I wasn’t a huge fan of any of the colors offered, but solid black with the matte carbon fiber spoiler to this day still looks amazing to me.

But the spoiler obviously does not fit correctly. The spacing is uneven, there is a larger gap on the drivers side vs passengers. I hope Tesla will reinstall another one, I hope they’re ok with people being extremely picky with this, especially considering the fact it was a year long wait.

Please look at my pics and tell me if you think I’m being too picky about this, or if I should be entitled to have another one installed that fits better.

Attachments

• 56EB850B-AE9A-4622-AFC9-049E4787AA7B.jpeg
    56EB850B-AE9A-4622-AFC9-049E4787AA7B.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 26DBE2D0-0EDB-4CD4-A3C5-DCCC403B045D.jpeg
    26DBE2D0-0EDB-4CD4-A3C5-DCCC403B045D.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 4962DBF3-BA6F-4486-90C4-4DF34132A07D.jpeg
    4962DBF3-BA6F-4486-90C4-4DF34132A07D.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 9E96A581-0616-4E40-B645-ACF432C19DED.jpeg
    9E96A581-0616-4E40-B645-ACF432C19DED.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 125
I just had the Mobile tech install my spoiler this morning. I wasn’t around so I didn’t get to see how they did it, nor did I get to reject it as it’s visibly coming up at both ends.

Love the look, can’t be beat on a solid black car, and this may sound kind of silly to some, but the spoiler was the reason I chose solid black. I certainly didn’t do it to save the money, as I was already $70k deep in this thing. I wasn’t a huge fan of any of the colors offered, but solid black with the matte carbon fiber spoiler to this day still looks amazing to me.

But the spoiler obviously does not fit correctly. The spacing is uneven, there is a larger gap on the drivers side vs passengers. I hope Tesla will reinstall another one, I hope they’re ok with people being extremely picky with this, especially considering the fact it was a year long wait.

Please look at my pics and tell me if you think I’m being too picky about this, or if I should be entitled to have another one installed that fits better.
Yea that spoiler is likely to have issues. Just give it a week or two and it'll start lifting. Then make them replace it.

I'm on my second spoiler and waiting on mobile service to come out next week to replace it again.

Thanks for the response @hydro

I already talked to my tech, they’re scheduling an appointment to put another one on Monday.

Is it even worth them trying, or should I wait until they get another product in? This is way off on both ends. I’m worried someone will get their shirt, purse, or even worse, hair ripped out by the sharp edge and possibly yank off the spoiler. I was not impressed. Had I been here, I would have told them to take it off.

I'll say it again, I think the IKON spoiler is the best one. It looks awesome, it's much cheaper, I got it in a week, it took all of 10 minutes to install, but most importantly... after two months it's showing zero signs of lifting up at the corners.

https://amzn.to/33p2MVw

Also, since it sits on top of the trunk, it is less likely to come off from pulling down on the trunk. I love mine. (sorry for the dirty trunk pic below. Also check out in the Amazon reviews link above one guy even painted his to match the car color)

IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG
CarAngle.jpg

I'll say it again, I think the IKON spoiler is the best one. It looks awesome, it's much cheaper, I got it in a week, it took all of 10 minutes to install, but most importantly... after two months it's showing zero signs of lifting up at the corners.

https://amzn.to/33p2MVw

Also, since it sits on top of the trunk, it is less likely to come off from pulling down on the trunk. I love mine. (sorry for the dirty trunk pic below. Also check out in the Amazon reviews link above one guy even painted his to match the car color)

View attachment 440077 View attachment 440078 View attachment 440079 View attachment 440080

It’s subjective. I think the OEM is miles better looking.

Hard to see black on black, but I'm just not understanding how the Mobile Ranger could install a spoiler like that and think it's good?!? Presumably, he dry fit it, and it was good, and then when he installs, why doesn't it stick at least for a short while? I installed my own OEM spoiler, and it hasn't budged an iota. What are these MRs doing differently? Did he heat it, did he press it down tight, or did he just hold it in place and slowly pull out the red tape and call it all good? Just weird to hear all these horror stories.

They still have massive issues with these.
My 3rd spoiler continues to peel on both ends. It's absolutely silly they haven't stopped production of these to fix the core issue.

Mobile tech came out again and surprise surprise both he brought didn't fit right. We dry fit them on my wife's trunk since mine still had it on.

It's gotten so bad he's recommending I try and get it in a service center because they will have 15 of them and maybe 1 out of the 15 will fit.

Question is how we get this escalated up the chain. Do we keep on demanding fixes until the cost gets so high for them. All the ones that don't fit right they end up chucking. That can't be cheap I imagine.

I've had 13 rear spoilers dry fitted to my trunk lid and none of them fit correctly. With each Mobile service visit, they are getting better, but visible gaps still persist.......I'm waiting for the next shipment of spoilers to arrive for visit # 4.

So the mobile tech I spoke to said he's not seeing any real improvement. Bottom line because of the ridgidness of the material it can't have the variance were seeing in the part.

I agree, it’s totally subjective but in my opinion the OEM looks better than everything else I’ve seen. Also, we’ve already paid for these, if you don’t have a P3D w performance package then I would not buy an OEM either. Considering this is a line item on my monroney sticker, it is shocking they haven’t figured this out in well over the year they’ve been selling P3Ds.

So I am going to tell my tech I prefer to wait until Tesla has demonstrated they can make these fit with precision, as I don’t want to keep wasting my time with something i know won’t work. I am in agreement with whoever said it’s hard to believe a tech would leave with both sides peeling. Also, when the trunk is up, there is a noticeably larger gap on the passengers side than the drivers, meaning this spoiler wasn’t even close to a good fit. I will attach a picture with what I’m talking about.

Also, since I’m here and we’re talking spoilers, is the spoiler supposed to be flush with the edge of the trunk? On the one that they installed yesterday, it is raised at least 1/16”. I would think there would be a problem with leaves and debris getting stuck in this area after it rains, especially over time. I was under the impression from photos I’ve seen of an acceptable install (don’t know if it lasted long term) that the spoiler is totally flush with the trunk lid, so any water and debris would flow off the trunk and over this, there wouldn’t be a gap for debris to get stuck. Does anyone know the answer to this? If it’s supposed to be flush, it would be easy to inspect any install, as if it’s not flush, it doesn’t fit.

Thanks for all the replies, and I hope they can figure this out. They probably should have made sure they can produce an acceptable spoiler before offering it as part of the performance package, but I am admittedly not the CEO. When it’s installed correctly I think the look can’t be beat!

This is how mine looked as well and after a week had to remove it and still dont have any ETA on a replacement.

I've heard good things about their driving school - did you have a positive experience there ?

I've owned corvettes most of my life,
and started tracking them in the 90's,
started out attending bragg-smith in LAS
that morphed into the fellows school.

the 3 day level 1 will have you driving
faster & safer than you ever imagined,
and unlike a mod, it's a skill you'll take
to any car! of course I'm biased to anything
that has a clutch & torque, dunno how I'd
feel about the C8 DCT paddles only?

and it's a whole lotta fun, your whipped
at the end of each day! I've dragged many
of my motor head friends through the
course! it's funny watching those who
think they can party LAS style and give
the track the attention necessary!

I'd pass up BWG in a heartbeat to get
3 days on track with instruction in someone
else's corvette! btw w/air conditioning ON!

GM consigns the cars to fellows, they drive
'em almost to 20K, all stock parts, all novices,
then they recondition them and reduce sales
prices w/fresh warranty! buddies got a '12 ZR-1
still pulling strong @ 45K, that spent it's 1st 20K
on track!

@Skione65 That's awful!

Mine was good for a few months. Then it started coming off. I scheduled two appointments to have it replaced, one at the SC and one mobile. I canceled both because they still haven't got parts that fit right, so I don't want to bother getting a bad one again.

I've had many cars with factory, stuck-on type spoilers and not one is like this.