Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Performance Model 3 in Mississauga, Ontario on Sept.15th, 2018 and I got my spoiler installed last Wednesday (May.22nd, 2019)

What was odd is that my local service centre said that Tesla mobile service cannot install it - even though I've heard they can from other members. So I booked appointment with Tesla Oakville
IMG_20190522_150706.jpg
IMG_20190522_150820.jpg
IMG_20190522_150847.jpg
IMG_20190522_154134.jpg
and went in for what they said should be a 15-20 min appointment. 2+ hours later and two spoilers later I was good to go. Apparently, the first spoiler they put on wasn't adhering properly (yes I have ceramic coating but they said that wasn't a factor). The second spoiler they put on went on perfectly and I agree it looks good and I'm satisfied. The car is finally complete.

Just a warning to those of you who've gotten their spoiler: You may want to consider protection - I found that the combination of bird poop + sunlight = damage in just a few short hours.

Model 3 Spoiler ruined by Bird Poop
Good to know. I PPFed it primarily so it's glossy and matches all of my other glossy CF accessories. I didn't think the spoiler would need much protection, but good thing I did.

View attachment 413226

Got my new P3D just 10 days ago. It had the spoiler attached and the fit/finish was perfect (to me). Much much better than my earlier M3LR which I got a year ago in May. Only issue is that it is still on firmware 2019.7 where as the M3LR and MS are both on version 2019.16. Chatting with Tesla online has got me nowhere relative to pushing the update. Have given up!

Reactions: Nocturnal
Got my new P3D just 10 days ago. It had the spoiler attached and the fit/finish was perfect (to me). Much much better than my earlier M3LR which I got a year ago in May. Only issue is that it is still on firmware 2019.7 where as the M3LR and MS are both on version 2019.16. Chatting with Tesla online has got me nowhere relative to pushing the update. Have given up!
I called my service center and they were able to manually load the firmware update to my car.

You probably have HW3, and you're on the correct firmware for it.

I took delivery of my P3D in September 2018 and just yesterday, 5/30/2019, got the spoiler and Dual motor badge installed via mobile service. It took about 20 minutes. No paperwork to sign but was told I'd get an email. I'm happy with the install and like the looks of it. Well worth the wait.

My spoiler was install Tuesday as scheduled. Mobile tech only brought one and I'm not too happy with the fit. Right side doesn't contact very well. Tech knew about the issue, but as he only brought one, sort of passed it off as this just how it is. Going to try and get it replaced.

Reactions: is2scooby
My spoiler was install Tuesday as scheduled. Mobile tech only brought one and I'm not too happy with the fit. Right side doesn't contact very well. Tech knew about the issue, but as he only brought one, sort of passed it off as this just how it is. Going to try and get it replaced.

How off was the right side? Tech who installed mine said that has been where the problem is. Mine was perfectly flush everywhere except the pass side....but it was only maybe 1-1.5mm off and was very easy to push and make flush....could put pressure with my pinky and make it flush. When the car is sitting in the sun and the adhesive gets hot....The very end of the pass side corner has maybe 0.5mm movement if I push on it. You really have to look hard to notice it. but if I try to pull it away from the trunk it doesn’t move at all. When it’s not sitting in the sun and isn’t hot, it doesn’t move at all.

Car was delivered early August 2018. Spoiler was installed at Bellevue, WA service center today. The fit looks fine so far.

Attachments

• F44C17A9-3369-4061-A0EF-365BEB402C03.jpeg
    F44C17A9-3369-4061-A0EF-365BEB402C03.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 110
  • 0643FA72-B07B-40BE-B7F7-3A04BCA65E87.jpeg
    0643FA72-B07B-40BE-B7F7-3A04BCA65E87.jpeg
    540.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 959A5D90-DF34-4AEC-8D82-BADBEB411A6C.jpeg
    959A5D90-DF34-4AEC-8D82-BADBEB411A6C.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 111
How off was the right side? Tech who installed mine said that has been where the problem is. Mine was perfectly flush everywhere except the pass side....but it was only maybe 1-1.5mm off and was very easy to push and make flush....could put pressure with my pinky and make it flush. When the car is sitting in the sun and the adhesive gets hot....The very end of the pass side corner has maybe 0.5mm movement if I push on it. You really have to look hard to notice it. but if I try to pull it away from the trunk it doesn’t move at all. When it’s not sitting in the sun and isn’t hot, it doesn’t move at all.

When it was first done, I'd say it was about 1.5mm as well, but since then, after measuring with some calipers, it's 3.3mm (just over 1/8").
The issue seems to be that the adhesive is there, but it's not contacting the body so there's nothing holding it in place. I can push on it and make it flush, but it's not close enough to grab.
IMG_20190527_172745.jpg

As you can see from this first photo, some of the adhesive at the tip made contact, but it wasn't enough to hold the rest of it in place.
Thinking maybe if it were held in place properly, and had time for a bond to form, it would stay. So I used a heat gun (my wife's hair dryer) to warm up the adhesive and used some wood and my garage walls to press it in place.

IMG_20190527_190455.jpg

After about 13 hours, the next morning I removed the wood and it looked better:

IMG_20190528_082436.jpg

But that didn't last and it has since gotten wider to the 3.3mm. I used a piece of floss to remove the little bit of adhesive that had stuck.

IMG_20190602_182107.jpg

The whole thing is well on there and it would be hard to rip off, but I can lift it up on the right side.

When it was first done, I'd say it was about 1.5mm as well, but since then, after measuring with some calipers, it's 3.3mm (just over 1/8").
The issue seems to be that the adhesive is there, but it's not contacting the body so there's nothing holding it in place. I can push on it and make it flush, but it's not close enough to grab.
View attachment 414884
As you can see from this first photo, some of the adhesive at the tip made contact, but it wasn't enough to hold the rest of it in place.
Thinking maybe if it were held in place properly, and had time for a bond to form, it would stay. So I used a heat gun (my wife's hair dryer) to warm up the adhesive and used some wood and my garage walls to press it in place.

View attachment 414892

After about 13 hours, the next morning I removed the wood and it looked better:

View attachment 414895

But that didn't last and it has since gotten wider to the 3.3mm. I used a piece of floss to remove the little bit of adhesive that had stuck.

View attachment 414896

The whole thing is well on there and it would be hard to rip off, but I can lift it up on the right side.

Mine was off about 1.5mm when dry fitted. If yours was only 1.5mm at first why do you think it’s worse, 3mm, now? Think it’s warping after some time in the sun?

Last edited:
Mine was off about 1.5mm when dry fitted. If yours was only 1.5mm at first why do you think it’s worse, 3mm, now? Think it’s warping after some time in the sun?

No idea to be honest. Maybe more of the adhesive let go when the spoiler sprung back after being forced into position overnight?
It's carbon fiber, I can't see it warping due to heat/sun. It hasn't even been that sunny here.

Welp, just got my 3rd install attempt.

The mobile guys brought 2 spoilers. Wish I was there during the dry fit because this one clearly isn't fit on the left side.
Derp...

Attachments

• 20190606_090421.jpg
    20190606_090421.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20190606_090410.jpg
    20190606_090410.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190606_090435.jpg
    20190606_090435.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 77