Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck. Hope this one sticks!

I mean it sticks... But I can already tell it's going to lift off the left side even more over time. And the right fit is just ok so maybe it'll lift there too. I still stand by that they need to stop wasting money putting these on and fix the core problem

The weirdest thing is that they installed it without me being there. Mobile service showed up, installed it, then asked if the blue car was mine.... When I walked out to meet them it was already installed....

lifting right away on the right side. Go figure

20190607_091954.jpg
20190607_093721.jpg

Mine was perfect upon leaving the service center around a month ago. Tomorrow it goes back in to be replaced as the right side has pulled away a couple of mm's. The issue started within 3-4 days of the initial install.

Did you happen to see them dry fit the first one before installing? Or the second one?

Welp, just got my 3rd install attempt.

The mobile guys brought 2 spoilers. Wish I was there during the dry fit because this one clearly isn't fit on the left side.
Derp...

That sucks you weren’t there during the dry fit. I think that’s the key....if it doesn’t fit well when dry fit chances of lifting are higher. That along with prep and quality of install. It may look perfect after the install...but if it needed to be compressed a lot the 3m tape just won’t hold and eventually start to lift.

I finally was able to set up a Mobile Ranger visit last week for the rear spoiler install (only 9 months after delivery). Experienced tech who brought out 2 of the current rev spoiler. He used the flexible purple guides on each corner of the trunk lid, did some careful checking and fiddling, cleaned the edge of the trunk lid, peeled off the tape, and did the install. Then used his heat gun to cook it a bit. Perfect installation and no gaps or lifting. He did note that the 1st gen spoilers were pretty bad--twisting and popping off.

I finally was able to set up a Mobile Ranger visit last week for the rear spoiler install (only 9 months after delivery). Experienced tech who brought out 2 of the current rev spoiler. He used the flexible purple guides on each corner of the trunk lid, did some careful checking and fiddling, cleaned the edge of the trunk lid, peeled off the tape, and did the install. Then used his heat gun to cook it a bit. Perfect installation and no gaps or lifting. He did note that the 1st gen spoilers were pretty bad--twisting and popping off.
I would keep a close eye on the corner in the next couple of weeks. You are not out of the woods yet!

Reactions: UngaBunga1989
Mobile service came today...on Memorial Day! Tech was really cool. Asked me to inspect the spoiler first before he even started. He only had one. He said they inspect them all before they’re even sent out and toss the bad ones. We dry fit it and it Was just about perfect. It was all perfectly flush without applying any pressure. Except the pass side corner. BUT it was only a few mm off and only took a very light push to get it perfectly flush. Could basically apply pressure with my pinky to get it flush...nothing I would imagine 3M shouldn’t be able to hold down.

BTW. He said ceramic coating wouldn’t be an issue. But I polished anyway to maximize adhesion. Wanted to do paint correction on the car anyway. I just finished ceramic coating the car, including the spoiler.

View attachment 412630 View attachment 412631 View attachment 412632

Going on 2 weeks tomorrow. So far it seems to be holding. The ends have some “play”. Meaning if you push hard on it it will compress against the trunk a little bit more. The drivers side less than the passenger. I’d say the amount of play is about the same if you were to compress the double sided tape? Although the passenger side is a hair more...even if I try to pull it away from the trunk it doesn’t budge. And the amount of pressure it takes to compress it is FAR less than it took to get it flush when it was being dry fit, which was barely any pressure. Excuse the dirt/ pollen, it’s gonna rain tomorrow and didn’t bother to wash the car.

6656C662-89FE-4ECA-8ADD-EF380CB0FAC8.jpeg
FB7DA2E7-8D72-47D0-A126-F10356CAD756.jpeg

Last edited:

Did you happen to catch the part number of said “current rev”?