Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gone 20" to 18" wheels both with Michelin 4S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to sell off my 20" Performance wheels and replace them with a Tirerack package. I'm debating whether I should go 19 or 18.

I have an 18" winter tire package and I really like it. It did lose a little bit of turn in precision but I'm sure the tires have a lot to do with that.

Has anyone gone 20" --> 18" both with 4S Love it? Regret it?

I did exactly this. OEM 20" wheels with Michelin PS4S to 18" lightweight wheels with Michelin PS4S.

The Tesla spec (OEM) Michelin PS4S is truly something special, it rides very well for a 20" wheel/tire even at 45 PSI.

With the 18" wheels/tires...
I love that my car feels lighter on its feet in acceleration and turn-in and overall more responsive. The 18" PS4S in non-Tesla spec isn't as quiet. The only thing I regret is that my car looks derpy with 18" wheels compared to the 20" wheels, but overall it drives better and gets better efficiency.

Might I ask for a reference on this? I'm surprised the difference is so drastic.

Just look at the stopping distance of the P versus the non-P Model 3. The only reason one is that much shorter than the other is the tires.

I'm not surprised at all, the tires are what actually stops the car- so much stickier tires should stop a lot shorter- and they do.

Also at least one user here, I think it was @DanielinSD maybe? Actually posted draggy test data swapping from the MXM4s to the PS4s and found the same results.

The 18" PS4S in non-Tesla spec isn't as quiet.
Interesting. Is it bad to the point of being a probkem? I have winter tires on now (Sotozero 3, or whatever they're called) and don't mind the noise so I suspect I'd be OK.

The only thing I regret is that my car looks derpy with 18" wheels.
I'm wondering about this too and whether I should go 19. But the 18's are both lighter and offer more pothole protection. Function over form?

Interesting. Is it bad to the point of being a probkem? I have winter tires on now (Sotozero 3, or whatever they're called) and don't mind the noise so I suspect I'd be OK.

I'm wondering about this too and whether I should go 19. But the 18's are both lighter and offer more pothole protection. Function over form?
I went 19 because I didn't like the look of my 18's. PS4S may stop you faster but I'm taking a pretty big range hit (17% or more). Wheel/Tire combo weight should be exactly the same before as now (funny how that works out with lighter wheels but heavier PS4S tires). My new wheels 1/2" wider and my tires are 10mm wider too though, so some of the loss may come from that. I also find the PS4S like to pickup and throw gravel into my car noticeably more than MXM4.

I guess my only question is, will you really be taking advantage of the PS4S?

It may make more sense to go with the stock 18" Michelin MXM4 for better tire life, range, and cold-weather driving (which is what I did).
About 600 mile back I swapped my stock MXM4 for a set of PS4S 235/45R18. Oh hell yes it is a step up. Can feel the car ready to pounce at your command! Wet roads especially, but dry too.

I'm running at 41 PSI cold right now, not seeing a notable range difference although I've not logged and charted it enough to be precise on what the difference may be. I'm still using the Aero rims, caps on when traveling longer distances.

P.S. I didn't bother with the Tesla specific version of the 18" PS4S, I don't really notice the noise difference, coming from the MXM4, even though I was a bit worried I might. However that's going to be a personal sensitivity thing.

I guess my only question is, will you really be taking advantage of the PS4S?

It may make more sense to go with the stock 18" Michelin MXM4 for better tire life, range, and cold-weather driving (which is what I did).

Yes, the PS4S gives me more confidence with the way I drive.

But I will likely go with the Tesla spec MXM4 next time for efficiency and adapt to it's capabilities.

Might I ask for a reference on this? I'm surprised the difference is so drastic.

The difference is that drastic on dry pavement above 50F, it isn't as big a difference on wet pavement at 45F. It even favors the all seasons on wet pavement around 35-40F.

You have to treat the PS4S as what it is, a Summer tire. Get it in the cold and it won't perform the same.

But if you use it only in the warmest months the traction increase is significant.

Last edited:
Reactions: SammichLover