Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone on FSD 11.3.6 ever had it drive into a traffic island??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So FSD has been working pretty decently for me when I try using it. However, there is a small(probably 3’x4’) traffic island in the middle of a neighborhood street that it seems to want to drive right into or dangerously close to. I’ve tried on 2 separate occasions and both times I had to disengage because i didn’t want it to destroy my rims. Am I just being paranoid?? Has anyone actually had FSD drive their cars into a traffic island?

Yes, others have had FSDb curb the wheels before. I have not, but that's because I disengage if it's coming even close... as we should. Disengage early and often. It's constructive feedback for Tesla that a maneuver is not humanlike/natural enough, which is what they need/want.

Slow the speed limit down as you get close and see what happens.

It is very common for the car to do things correctly, but the driver's reaction overrides the car before the car has a chance to do it. Just slow the car down to a speed at which you can react better and try it.

I have this problem. The problem is Beta is "debating" whether it is an island or a traffic circle. If you look at the path tentacle it will be bouncing back and fort between going around it or just pass it. Also it 100% of the time turns on the right signal to go straight. I pass by one almost ever day and since Beta 10.2 (original) and it is always the same.

Here is the same island coming from the other direction and it even gets confused and tries to go around it maybe 10% of the time which is the opposite of a traffic circle. WTH ????

I have this problem. The problem is Beta is "debating" whether it is an island or a traffic circle. If you look at the path tentacle it will be bouncing back and fort between going around it or just pass it. Also it 100% of the time turns on the right signal to go straight. I pass by one almost ever day and since Beta 10.2 (original) and it is always the same.

Here is the same island coming from the other direction and it even gets confused and tries to go around it maybe 10% of the time which is the opposite of a traffic circle. WTH ????

Assuming that the car was driving on FSD, that seems to look more like a mapping problem.

Assuming that the car was driving on FSD, that seems to look more like a mapping problem.
It is not since it only does it about 10% of the time, has had the same problem since original Beta and the tentacle is continuously flipping back and forth between which way it is planning on going. Most times it does go straight but it still jerks, slows, has trouble deciding, sometimes stops (I usually press the accelerator) and always turns on the left signal light.

Also if your read my post you will see the behavior is different depending on which direction I'm going.

I would always hold my breath when it would go around small traffic circles / islands. Didn’t end up clipping them but it was rarely the line I’d take personally. For something even smaller like yours I’d probably just keep taking over.
I have some of those close to home.

When they were not mapped, FSD rarely handled them. Now they are all mapped - and FSD goes around without curbing ....

But, it takes forever. First it stops, takes a couple of seconds to figure out the path and then slowly / jerkily navigates the roundabout. I always disengage when there is a car behind me. A large # of my disengagements are because of these.

Reactions: thewishmaster

Attachments

• IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    505.4 KB · Views: 32
Here is the same traffic ISLAND that I pass daly and Beta has "seen" well over 500 times now and NEVER can decide it it is an island or a traffic circle. As usual it turns on the right signal and heads to the rightish before going straight with the right signal on all the time. As you can see this obtuse behavior rightfully confuses other people.