Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone opted out of TM's collection of your vehicle's telematics data?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that Tesla sometimes calls the cars in for service before a failure actually happens, I don't really understand why anyone would want to opt out. There are already so many non-car tracking systems out there that opting out is kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face. At least in Tesla's case, we can be sure that they aren't spending any resources tracking what they don't have to.

Tesla should still give its customers the freedom of choice - everyone should be able to decide for themselves if they share everything, just the vehicle health data so failures can be detected, or nothing at all.

From how things are now, you are forced to share everything if you want to take advantage of the service knowing when something goes wrong with your car. So in a way you pay for the gain in service qualtity with your privacy. Also, I don´t see why they don´t just make everything but the car health data anonymous. That way, they could still do statistics (on charger usage, distriution of distances driven etc.) to help them improve the product according to actual usage while privacy sensitive peope (like myself) would be more at ease.