Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone painted their 18" rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
Hello All,

I'm not a fan of the hubcap on the 18" rims and while the rim underneath is much better, I'm still not that enamored with it. Part of that is the gray color of that rim. Have any of you had the 18" rim (not the wheel cover) painted/powder coated (or perhaps painted them yourself) a different color?

I'm thinking I might prefer them in a lighter silver (more like the stock 19" rims or silver turbines on the Model S).

Any pics would be appreciated!

Do you know if that's painted or powder-coated? I was thinking about taking my car to Les Schwab to get the 18's changed to silver on a MSM P3D-. Maybe powder coating them along with red brake calipers.

Last edited:
I believe some of the prototypes had them in silver originally

CA4B0130-C4EE-443B-96EB-C803C33BF26D.jpeg

I ordered my car with 19" sport wheels, with delivery being scheduled in 2 weeks. Apparently my car shipped with 18" wheels. I do not like the aero covers, so depending on what happens, I'll paint or plasti-dip them silver. I was told in order to get 19" wheels I'll have to wait for a new car to be built for me. So at this point I'll just remove the aero covers and paint the 18" wheels silver/or plasti dip them. I'll post photos if I go this route.

Wow they screwed up on your 19" wheels...bummer.
I like the 19" Sport wheel, but went with the aeros to be used for my winter wheels. I want the aeros silver, but don't think plastidip will hold up if I put the aero covers on and off for road trips.
So I'll probably paint the rims, but plastidip the covers.
Going to get a set of 19" hyper silver VMR 801s for my summer wheels.

I agree that the 18s would look better in silver or white, but it kind of depends on the car color. I'm getting a red car, and the dark rims on it look meh, imo. What I'm going to start with is plasti-dipping the aero covers white to see how that goes. If I feel like allowing the car to be undriveable for a little while, I'll get the wheels themselves powder coated either silver or white

I ordered my car with 19" sport wheels, with delivery being scheduled in 2 weeks. Apparently my car shipped with 18" wheels. I do not like the aero covers, so depending on what happens, I'll paint or plasti-dip them silver. I was told in order to get 19" wheels I'll have to wait for a new car to be built for me. So at this point I'll just remove the aero covers and paint the 18" wheels silver/or plasti dip them. I'll post photos if I go this route.

Did it end up plasti dipping the wheels under the aero wheels? I'm looking to do this and wondering if it will get ruined if I put the aero wheels back on for a trip

Did it end up plasti dipping the wheels under the aero wheels? I'm looking to do this and wondering if it will get ruined if I put the aero wheels back on for a trip

They sold that car to someone else during the end of quarter rush and made me wait. So I ended up getting a different car with the 19" wheels. Best car I have ever owned. I will never buy a brand new car unless it is electric, Tesla is a game changer.

The cool thing about not getting your 19" rims is that you can likely buy the 19" off someone else for about the same price as the $1500 upgrade cost and now you have a summer and winter set.

Also I was going to powercoat my 18" rims with hyper silver but the local place wants $240 per rim for it. I'm going to get aftermarket 19" rims for $340 ea instead. Same logic - now I can rotate rims as needed.

I am probably going to paint my 18in wheels satin black to match the chrome delete satin black I had done. Now just trying to find a place to do that.

On a side note if I buy third party rims and tires can I have them shipped to Tesla service center and have them install my new tires and remove the old ones. I don’t mind paying the fee to have them installed