Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone really used a 12V pump to fill tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are supposedly the best, there is compressor alone and they have tire sealant side to them as well. Some have said the "slime" will have difficulty doing its job though with the foam liner in the tires if you have Goodyear Quiet Comfort 19s stock.

My sickness is another kind. I was asking myself just now, where are all four of my compressors?

All of them are in this one car somehow they all got their way into one car. Just in case I guess????
IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG
One shown V2 Tesla with slime if needed, One in that red case V1 Tesla with slime if needed in with jack and torque wrench etc., one in the rear footwell under trunk, and one in an organizer I take in and out of the car on trips to fit baggage if need be. At least two too many.

I always start the air pump, then connect it to the tire. I learned this after blowing the fuze in my 2015 model S and other cars. If the air pump is started while connected to the tire the starting current is greater than 15 amps and blows the fuze every time. I've had four flats on my two Teslas in the last three years and use the Tesla pump all the time. No problem if I start the pump first, then connect it.
That must depend on the compressor. I burned one out doing that, years ago. I think it was a Black & Decker. Check the instructions--my Sears pump says to connect it to the tire first, and it has lasted me many years by following that rule. It has not blown any fuses either in my Tesla Model S or in previous cars.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTLEAD-Tire...re+inflator+12v+autlead&qid=1571673513&sr=8-3
I have used this product to refill all 4 tires on my P3D+ at some cold morning when I got low tire pressure alert from the screen.
The pump was plugged in for at least 10 min and I have used it for about 5 min to fill up all 4 tires. The product has a 10A maximum current so there's no problem with Model 3. It came with a pouch and it is very portable. I kept it in the trunk next to the charging port where you can find a small cubbyhole.

If you already have Milwaukee M12 tools and batteries this is a good option and what I use. I keep two 3AH batteries in the trunk well and this takes up no space. I’ve topped up 12 tires with about 3-4 psi each taking about 10 minutes of runtime on a 3AH battery and it was still half charged. I got the tool alone on sale for $89 plus tax in the summer. Best part is no cords to fuss around with, but price point is a little high if you don’t have batteries or a charger already.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mi...rdless-compact-inflator-tool-only-/1001128921

Another good Milwaukee tool is this cordless M18 heatgun for frozen door handles or chargeports. I keep it in the trunk well with a pair of 5AH batteries that will give about 20 mins of runtime on each battery. For us Canadians here, KMS tools has it on sale for $129, so Home Depot will beat that price by 10% before the KMS Tools sale ends this month.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwaukee-tool-m18-compact-heat-gun-tool-only-/1001075746

Last edited:
Question for those that have gotten these to work, since there is no turning the car "on", what is the process? When I tried, car was parked in garage and I opened the door to wake the car up and the 12V port was powered on. Did not do anything else? Am I supposed to be doing something additional?

I do exactly what you do and I've never encountered any issue using my 12V pump (Viair 70P).

I figured out what the issue was, it was me! Both these units have a setting to set the desired maximum pressure. It appears that this was set around 35 psi. So when I turned the unit on, since my tire pressure was more than this preset value, the unit would turn off. When I tried this in my ICE, the tire pressure was 34 psi and it began pumping.
After setting the desired pressure to 45 psi for my Tesla and turning on, connected to the 12v outlet, both worked perfectly. I didn't to for too long, just enough to test, and not to over inflate.

• Funny
Reactions: jamnmon66