Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone really used a 12V pump to fill tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In preparation for a trip I dug out my old 12V tire pump, bought some new plugs and reamer tools ready to make a repair kit in case it would be needed.
The pump had been sitting for a while so I did a test. I let the front tire down to 20psi, plugged in the pump and started to fill it. All went good for 2-3 minutes then the pump stopped. Searching the for the cause of the stoppage it was the cigarette outlet had no power. Then I found out there are no fuses in this car, you have to wait 1-2 hours for it to reset itself. This is not acceptable for a road repair.

The outlet is rated at 12 amps, checking the pump it draws 10.5 - 11.0 read with a meter. I thought I would just buy a new pump, maybe they are more efficient but all the specs i read were 10 amps and up.

So my question is what are you (that have a pump) using, and have you actually filled a tire or is the first time going to be on an abandoned road with a lighter socket failure?

I've used the 12v outlet for topping off the tires with no problems. Well, almost no problems - I'm not sure if it's the pump or the outlet, but after each tire I had to pull the plug out and reseat it to get the pump working again. I thought it was just an oddity of the new 12v pump I have, hadn't even considered that it might be the non-fuse on the outlet. But whatever it was, it reset immediately.

It's interesting that the instructions of the tesla branded kit say to run the pump for no more than 10 minutes. I'm thinking
I'll just get a battery clip to cigarette lighter adapter. I've been carrying some slime kits that are labelled "tpms friendly". So far I haven't damaged a tpms on my other cars that have needed it (the tire is considered trashed though). I'm thinking I'll add a patch kit.

Reactions: jdcollins5
Agree with m3snowy. When I go to the track, I bring a pump with me that has battery clamps. Normal fuse is often too limiting.

Also want to double check the max PSI the pump can handle. I had a cheap one before that broke when filling a spare because it couldn’t handle it’s higher PSI.

It's interesting that the instructions of the tesla branded kit say to run the pump for no more than 10 minutes. I'm thinking
I'll just get a battery clip to cigarette lighter adapter. I've been carrying some slime kits that are labelled "tpms friendly". So far I haven't damaged a tpms on my other cars that have needed it (the tire is considered trashed though). I'm thinking I'll add a patch kit.

I think that 10-minute limit is there so that the pump doesn't overheat. That's probably good enough to fill up one tire.

For third-party pumps, another important spec is the air flow rate in CFM, like shown under their Performance Data in the Viair web site, especially for our Tesla tires that need 40+ psi. My old no-name pump such a low (unspecified) flow rate that it'd shut down due to overheating before I could top up even one ICE-car tire to 32psi.

I'm planning to get a pump that connects directly to the 12V battery to get around the virtual fuse problem. Like this one that draws up to 15A:
87P Portable Compressor | VIAIR
I have this model and can vouch for its reliability. The pressure gauge is inaccurate while pumping, which is a little annoying but can be worked around — just note the offset between actual tire pressure and the reading right when you switch on the pump, and add that offset to your desired pressure.

I have this model and can vouch for its reliability. The pressure gauge is inaccurate while pumping, which is a little annoying but can be worked around — just note the offset between actual tire pressure and the reading right when you switch on the pump, and add that offset to your desired pressure.

I think you are all missing the point. I want something that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug. I'm not too keen on pulling covers off to get to the 12V battery. The 87P that you refer to is a good pump from what I have read but it pulls too many amps for the lighter plug.

Who has actually used one that plugs into the lighter plug and had good results?

Reactions: debuggr
I think you are all missing the point. I want something that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug. I'm not too keen on pulling covers off to get to the 12V battery. The 87P that you refer to is a good pump from what I have read but it pulls too many amps for the lighter plug.

Who has actually used one that plugs into the lighter plug and had good results?
I have on my Model S. Easily filled the tire to 45 psi in just a couple of minutes. (This is the one sold on the Tesla site.)

• Informative
Reactions: David29

Yes I used two differing types of pump for regular plug into lighter inflation. Never any issue.

I carry both the Tesla Pump with the fixaflat (slime) Still sealed and a regular one I use all the time.
Yes, plugs and reamer
Yes, aluminum racing floor jack
Yes, my own version of jacking spacer
Yes, torque wrench and socket
Yes, to ready to dial the 800 number in case all this fails.

I have used the Slime Safety Spair pump and it has worked fine, although I’ve found it a bit slow to hit pressures over 40 PSI.

• Informative
Reactions: atsnyr

I've used this one from Harbor Freight in all my cars for years:
12V 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

It works fine with the cigarette lighter / 12V accessory plug in the Model 3. I had a tire get down to 35 PSI from a nail puncture and inflated it back up to 45 PSI over about 2-3 minutes without any issues. I kept it running and used it to top off the other tires right afterward, all which had gotten down to around 38-39 PSI and there were no issues. It was probably on for about 10 minutes continuously.

Installed gauges are inaccurate while filling because pressure at the pump is higher than in the tire, otherwise the air wouldn't flow.
It is best to use a pump with a tank so humidity can drop out of suspension not just get pushed into the tire. Please save the pumps like this for urgent use.

I always start the air pump, then connect it to the tire. I learned this after blowing the fuze in my 2015 model S and other cars. If the air pump is started while connected to the tire the starting current is greater than 15 amps and blows the fuze every time. I've had four flats on my two Teslas in the last three years and use the Tesla pump all the time. No problem if I start the pump first, then connect it.