Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone replaced the Bilstein in the Continental units?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
My pre april 2015 P85D has very stiff compression dampening. Has anyone replaced these with other Bilsteins or adjustable units? Since the tower doesn't allow access to the tops the shocks, adjustable units would have to have remove actuators.

You can't replace the shock, they're pressed into the air spring. It's a unit, and the shock is what's at issue. We have 1030608-01-A and post-April they're 1030608-01-C. You can always buy new -C's... they're only $500 each, lol.

No, Continental or Bilstein won't sell us the unit as Tesla puts them together. And I haven't been able to locate either part#.

I've decided to not do this as our suspension is truly something special. Someday it'll be sought-after.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak and AndY1
You can't replace the shock, they're pressed into the air spring. It's a unit, and the shock is what's at issue. We have 1030608-01-A and post-April they're 1030608-01-C. You can always buy new -C's... they're only $500 each, lol.

No, Continental or Bilstein won't sell us the unit as Tesla puts them together. And I haven't been able to locate either part#.

I've decided to not do this as our suspension is truly something special. Someday it'll be sought-after.

What about re-valving the shock in place? I know they're pressed in in, but people upgrade other airsprings that also have Bilstein shocks pressed in as well. Any good suspension shop should easily be able to take one of these apart.