Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone sold their leases Model 3 to a dealer? [as of 10/28/21 not possible any longer]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well changing those terms and not allowing people to do it when they clearly asked if this was part of the process and available to them prior to leasing the vehicle seems unethical.
If they are going to change the process of what they allow and don’t allow it should be on the contract is my opinion. I’ve sent the contract to an attorney for review. Will advise on his thoughts
Yeah, not sure. Just going by the paperwork that is signed the contract states that the car cannot be purchased. Kind of the usual thing where all that matters is what’s written. With that said, I was able to sell mine to CarMax but it was a pain and I could see why CarMax wouldn’t even want to deal with it anymore even if Tesla allows it.

Being vague doesn’t hold up in court.

Someone will sue
People will sue for anything these days, doesn't mean they will win. Many businesses are vague for legal reasons since they can only be held liable for what they specifically state. Again, people should read the legal page on Tesla's website, they have a section on not being held liable for future inferences and claims on their website. This is part of the problem, people agree to terms in writing then want to change their minds after. You can't, you signed a contract knowing you can't buy the car. You didn't sign a contract that states you can sell the leased vehicle to a third party. It may have been an option at the time from Tesla, but was always open to change at the manufacturer's discretion.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Guys get over it; GM, Honda, Toyota and some other car manufacturers also changed their lease terms to not allow sales of leased vehicles to other car dealerships due to the inventory shortage.
They don't always need to spell out every little single thing. Similar to how airlines have their terms of carriage which are vague and allow them to make changes when they want. If you buy an airline ticket, you're paying to get from point A to point B, but how you get there and how long it takes is up to the airline.
When you lease a vehicle, you don't own it therefore the manufacturer can decide how they want to handle the vehicle during the lease and at the end. You are agreeing to lease the vehicle for a certain amount for a certain amount of time. If the lease contract states you have the option to purchase the lease as an individual, then you can at any time. That can't be changed and none of the legacy brands have prevented individuals from purchasing their own leases.

Tesla clearly states that 3 and Y leases cannot be purchased. You would need to find a line in the lease contract that specifically states the lease can be sold to a third party dealership at anytime up to the end of the lease terms. Even if Tesla states it on their website, they can change that at any time, which they have. The information in the lease is what is a legally binding contract, not information published on a website. Hint, read the legal page on Tesla's website for all of their "outs". So whatever Joe Blow told you verbally during the lease talks means nothing. If it's not in writing in the lease contract, it means nothing. It's not worth wasting your time on, if it were, lawyers would already be lined up to sue the legacy automakers.
Agree. It states that there is no option to purchase the car. Doesn’t get any less vague than that. The car can’t be purchased by anybody. You agree to pay the lease payments and turn it back in to Tesla at the end of the lease and if you want to turn it in early you still have to pay all the payments.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Lets say you order a Tesla knowing that the wall charger will cost $500.
Then your car arrives and you go to order the charger but they've now raised the price to $20,000.
Did Tesla cheat you or violate their contract?

No.
If you want something in the terms of the contract, then make sure it's in the terms of the contract. Otherwise they can offer whatever they want, whenever they want.

And if you don't want to be helplessly locked in to their contract, why are you paying all the extra money for a lease? Isn't the whole point of masochism to be as powerless as possible?

Well changing those terms and not allowing people to do it when they clearly asked if this was part of the process and available to them prior to leasing the vehicle seems unethical.

You asked at the time? Did you get anything back in writing or was it just verbal?

As far as what was on Tesla's website, they qualified the ability to sell to third by dealers as "depending on what is allowed under the lease contract." It doesn't appear, based on what you posted, that lease end purchase options are even addressed in M3 (nor presumably MY) contracts.

You almost have to treat the third party dealer selling option (if it returns) as a short-term incentive of sorts that can come and go. Tesla would be wise to put some sort of end date or "subject to change without notice" disclaimer to avoid misunderstandings and complaints.

If being able to sell to third party dealers wasn't part of your M3 lease contract, there was no change to the terms of the contract.

And if you don't want to be helplessly locked in to their contract, why are you paying all the extra money for a lease? Isn't the whole point of masochism to be as powerless as possible?

Leases aren't necessarily extra money. Depending on the terms, residual/LEV, eventual market conditions, etc., leasing or leasing and buying out (when allowed) can sometimes be cheaper as the total money saved by lower payments and so on may be greater than the purchased/financed car's equity.

You asked at the time? Did you get anything back in writing or was it just verbal?

As far as what was on Tesla's website, they qualified the ability to sell to third by dealers as "depending on what is allowed under the lease contract." It doesn't appear, based on what you posted, that lease end purchase options are even addressed in M3 (nor presumably MY) contracts.

You almost have to treat the third party dealer selling option (if it returns) as a short-term incentive of sorts that can come and go. Tesla would be wise to put some sort of end date or "subject to change without notice" disclaimer to avoid misunderstandings and complaints.

If being able to sell to third party dealers wasn't part of your M3 lease contract, there was no change to the terms of the contract.
They are addressed in mine. And they are addressed as “nope”.
74F270D3-5102-42F9-8237-8D756F6B7D5E.jpeg

On Tesla's official site and, if you read the email I posted from Tesla, both clearly, unambiguously state that the car can be sold to any authorized dealer at any time. Personally, I'm not affected, nevertheless... that's what it said. Yes, they've changed their mind. After the fact.

Nowhere in the iPhone purchase contract nor warrantee does it say you MUST only use Apple official service for repair. Then, they changed their mind and tried to force people to only use official Apple service... and they would have been nuked if they hadn't caved. Apple also -- remember the good old days? -- would force lock your iPhone back to AT&T if you tried to jail-break it. They lost that on anti-trust (just as they would have lost on the service freak-out).

"The Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 is a federal statute which prohibits activities that restrict interstate commerce and competition in the marketplace." Which is where your best argument can be made. IMHO.

Yes, on the Tesla website they used to say you could sell a leased 3 or Y to an authorized 3rd party dealership. They have changed their stance, which is allowed since that blurb isn't part of the lease contract terms. Information that a business posts on their website is not legally binding, things can change.
Good luck trying to use the Sherman Act of 1890 as an argument on why you feel you should be able to sell your leased Tesla to anyone you want. There is nothing about this policy related to monopolizing the market. Tesla just wants their cars back after the lease is over, their name is on the title so they can do what they want.
Anyone complaining about this should suck it up and realize that when you sign a contract, it's your responsibility to know what you're getting in to and accept the terms that you signed for. If it isn't in the contract, you can't expect it.

They are addressed in mine. And they are addressed as “nope”.
View attachment 729014

At least this confirms the contract includes something regarding purchase options. I would've been surprised it didn't.

Just belkow that, #11 mentions "lease documents" for additional information on early termination, purchase options, etc. I wonder what they are referring to. The key here, for those M3 lessees affected by Tesla's decision to no longer allow sales to third party dealers, will be to find something IN WRITING that addresses third party sales whether it be in the lease contract or other documents.

"The Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 is a federal statute which prohibits activities that restrict interstate commerce and competition in the marketplace." Which is where your best argument can be made. IMHO.

That would be a stretch. The Sherman Antitrust Act is more about monopolies and related anti-competitive business practices on a larger scale. Tesla not allowing lessee to sell car to a dealer at lease end wouldn't really qualify.

At least this confirms the contract includes something regarding purchase options. I would've been surprised it didn't.

Just belkow that, #11 mentions "lease documents" for additional information on early termination, purchase options, etc. I wonder what they are referring to. The key here, for those M3 lessees affected by Tesla's decision to no longer allow sales to third party dealers, will be to find something IN WRITING that addresses third party sales whether it be in the lease contract or other documents.
Not sure where to find these "lease documents" they refer too. The only item they give you is the lease contract.

I just mentioned that on the Tesla site they clearly, previously, said this, and have for years. Also please see my already posted Tesla email, Tesla made it totally clear you could sell to a dealer.

As far as anti-trust goes, no it has been used for far-reaching issues.

"Antitrust laws are applied to a wide range of questionable business activities, including but not limited to market allocation, bid rigging, price fixing, and monopolies. Below, we take a look at the activities these laws protect against. If these laws didn't exist, consumers would not benefit from different options or competition in the marketplace. Furthermore, consumers would be forced to pay higher prices and would have access to a limited supply of products and services."

I just mentioned that on the Tesla site they clearly, previously, said this, and have for years. Also please see my already posted Tesla email, Tesla made it totally clear you could sell to a dealer.
Well I guess they changed their minds. Unless they have the statement in writing as part of their leases, they aren’t required to honor what their website used to say.
I’d love to hear an update from @DiamondM on what his lawyer says about this.

Just wanted to follow up here and see if anyone has actually done a lease turn in to Tesla or sold to Carvana, CarMax or Vroom and how that played out? I'm buying a new Model S and trying to figure out the best way to deal with my existing super low mileage Model 3 lease. It has less than 4k miles on it 18 months into the lease (thanks COVID). There isn't a buyout option though since it is a Tesla lease.
Sell to carman, carvana, Vroom, etc; just as you suggested. Process is the same as purchase compared to lease.