Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone tapped a BlackVue to the domelight to get constant 12V for always on power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For people ordering the blendmount (120-160ish), if you order a few extra links, you can get the camera to sit very close to the windshield and reduce glare. The out-of-the-box blendmount setup actually reduces visibility and increases glare, and the stock mount sits more flush.

View attachment 466296
View attachment 466297

Non-white dashboards, black Alcantara headliners, and polarized lenses help as well... depending on how overboard you want to go...

In order of impact on glare, in my experience it was dashboard replacement/wrap, lens filter, then blendmount last. I'm still waiting on headliner, but I anticipate that being more significant than blendmount. There's still some reflection of the A-pillars in the footage. By the way, you remove the lens filter at night because it reduces nighttime camera visibility. I just spin the filter so that it's facing the cabin, still on the camera, and not over the lens.

In my opinion this isn't for most people. I've got a very extreme setup with 4-CH DR900S (two 2-CH), all the above, and a hotspot in my car at all times for cloud dash cam access. I've given footage to police 3 times for incidents I've captured, luckily where I was just an observer and not impacted.

Has anyone tinted their front windshield and use a Blackvue? I'm wondering if that will help with some of the glare issues or just make it worse. I'm trying to decide on a dashcam and Blackvue is what I'm leaning towards. Thanks!

For people ordering the blendmount (120-160ish), if you order a few extra links, you can get the camera to sit very close to the windshield and reduce glare. The out-of-the-box blendmount setup actually reduces visibility and increases glare, and the stock mount sits more flush.

View attachment 466296
View attachment 466297

Non-white dashboards, black Alcantara headliners, and polarized lenses help as well... depending on how overboard you want to go...

In order of impact on glare, in my experience it was dashboard replacement/wrap, lens filter, then blendmount last. I'm still waiting on headliner, but I anticipate that being more significant than blendmount. There's still some reflection of the A-pillars in the footage. By the way, you remove the lens filter at night because it reduces nighttime camera visibility. I just spin the filter so that it's facing the cabin, still on the camera, and not over the lens.

In my opinion this isn't for most people. I've got a very extreme setup with 4-CH DR900S (two 2-CH), all the above, and a hotspot in my car at all times for cloud dash cam access. I've given footage to police 3 times for incidents I've captured, luckily where I was just an observer and not impacted.
Good to know that you can extend the mount since I didn't know they sold extra parts for these. Took a bit to find them, but looks like you purchased three (3) of these items at $19.99 each BlendMount 2000R Series, Spare Parts, 1-3/8" Body Link, Kit

I haven't really had issues with glare on my footage, though it was a concern due to the distance of the camera from the windshield. I also mostly drive in low light conditions. So I will skip the extra links to put the camera close to the windshield, but it's good information for others to know about.

Reactions: 4hs93lsi2
I had a hard time with my 08/18 build. Not sure about any revisions like with zip tie or screws. I used old credit cards and pry tools and did one side at a time. It wasn’t easy, and I wasn’t overly forceful to avoid damaging the plastic. I had to wedge two opposite sides at once and push hard. I worked around the edges, not just one side of the edge like in this video:

I also used the long edge of my credit cards.

I didn't have any issues getting the dome light out. I was trying to remove the headliner. Ended up unplugging the harness from the dome light assembly (which was also very difficult to do since there was virtually no slack) and tapped in before plugging back in (and probably not completely locked into the receptacle, either).

Good to know that you can extend the mount since I didn't know they sold extra parts for these. Took a bit to find them, but looks like you purchased three (3) of these items at $19.99 each BlendMount 2000R Series, Spare Parts, 1-3/8" Body Link, Kit

I haven't really had issues with glare on my footage, though it was a concern due to the distance of the camera from the windshield. I also mostly drive in low light conditions. So I will skip the extra links to put the camera close to the windshield, but it's good information for others to know about.

Exactly. Thanks for finding the URL.