Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone upgraded SR to SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not tried but I was told by my SA during the order process for my SR that it would be just the difference in model cost ($3990) plus tax difference. The upgrade will make the car a complete SR+ so all features that come standard on SR+ will be included (AP included).

I have not tried but I was told by my SA during the order process for my SR that it would be just the difference in model cost ($3990) plus tax difference. The upgrade will make the car a complete SR+ so all features that come standard on SR+ will be included (AP included).

It might have to do with when you bought the car and what you paid vs the price difference ($4500 when I did vs 3990 now). I wish Tesla would make it current difference, but I guess that rewards those who're waiting for price drops.

It might have to do with when you bought the car and what you paid vs the price difference ($4500 when I did vs 3990 now). I wish Tesla would make it current difference, but I guess that rewards those who're waiting for price drops.

So you paid $4500? Was that with tax? Will come out to roughly the same for me after tax if the said price is $3990

So you paid $4500? Was that with tax? Will come out to roughly the same for me after tax if the said price is $3990

both pretax amounts. Haven't back from the SA since I asked, but I saw both amounts posted here.

I like the trend and will only pursue it if Tesla drops price further/limited time special at year end etc. I like the SR's ability to 100% charge in the interim and have immersive sound setting for some reason

Well I found out today that my record was showing I received two free deviations (which I received none). That is why the 2 years free supercharging wasn't showing up. Hopefully my SA can solve the problem.

both pretax amounts. Haven't back from the SA since I asked, but I saw both amounts posted here.

I like the trend and will only pursue it if Tesla drops price further/limited time special at year end etc. I like the SR's ability to 100% charge in the interim and have immersive sound setting for some reason

I’m only missing the Range in my SR. I have immersive sound, but choose to leave that off due to how processed it sounds. So you’re not missing much, especially without the activation of the other speakers.

I’m only missing the Range in my SR. I have immersive sound, but choose to leave that off due to how processed it sounds. So you’re not missing much, especially without the activation of the other speakers.

hmm I'll try off as well. Looks like we both have a partially locked SR. Even range is not really locked since you can charge to 100% per other threads vs 90 on SR+.

All i need now is a deal on AP and I'm all set till the SR Y is released..

I have the SR- would like to upgrade to SR+, but not for 4500 price+tax. I'm pretty price sensitive (why I have the SR- anyway).

If AP = $3K
then; fog lights, heated rear seats, 10% range, -0.3 seconds 0-60 acceleration, immersive sound would be $1.5K

Personally, I don't think any of those latter things are worth $1.5K, car drives just fine. I charge to 100% (90% of SR+ range anyway).
Don't miss fog lights = LED lights are plenty bright :)
Heated rear seats = I don't drive from back there, so don't care.
-0.3 seconds = 5.6 0-60 is plenty fast to get on freeways and weave through traffic
Immersive sound = Don't know wtf this really does, I hear music fine.

Going to wait for the SR+ upgrade or AP discount. I'm sure it's all OTA upgrades anyway, so whenever they are hurting for money - i'm right here. :)

Reactions: vickh
I have the SR- would like to upgrade to SR+, but not for 4500 price+tax. I'm pretty price sensitive (why I have the SR- anyway).

If AP = $3K
then; fog lights, heated rear seats, 10% range, -0.3 seconds 0-60 acceleration, immersive sound would be $1.5K

Personally, I don't think any of those latter things are worth $1.5K, car drives just fine. I charge to 100% (90% of SR+ range anyway).
Don't miss fog lights = LED lights are plenty bright :)
Heated rear seats = I don't drive from back there, so don't care.
-0.3 seconds = 5.6 0-60 is plenty fast to get on freeways and weave through traffic
Immersive sound = Don't know wtf this really does, I hear music fine.

Going to wait for the SR+ upgrade or AP discount. I'm sure it's all OTA upgrades anyway, so whenever they are hurting for money - i'm right here. :)

RIght there with you. For some reason they want you to go to service for upgrade. OTA would be great. I'm hoping for sale end Q4/ Q1 20

So you believe the battery is a top protected SR+ also. That's my only concern while waiting that I'm hurting the battery by charging to 100%

Reactions: zackmd1
RIght there with you. For some reason they want you to go to service for upgrade. OTA would be great. I'm hoping for sale end Q4/ Q1 20

So you believe the battery is a top protected SR+ also. That's my only concern while waiting that I'm hurting the battery by charging to 100%

There’s regen at 100% SOC so the battery is still accepting a charge meaning it’s top limited.

RIght there with you. For some reason they want you to go to service for upgrade. OTA would be great.

This has me wondering if Tesla is using some sort of e-fuse for downgrades (where physical fuses can be commanded to blow OTA to prevent user tampering with software). They're currently used in video game consoles to prevent downgrading to previous versions of the OS. Could be that Tesla is trying to prevent hackers from unlocking extra capacity without paying for it, and lock it out with efuses that need to be physically replaced.

Last edited:
  • Informative
This has me wondering if Tesla is using some sort of e-fuse for downgrades (where physical fuses can be commanded to blow OTA to prevent user tampering with software). They're currently used in video game consoles to prevent downgrading to a previous versions of the OS. Could be that Tesla is trying to prevent hackers from unlocking extra capacity without paying for it, and lock it out with efuses that need to be physically replaced.

hmmm... maybe @GigaGrunt can chime in.

Personally the range is only an issue for road trips. otherwise @100% it's the same as 90%SR+