Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Curve for SR (downgraded from SR+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just downgraded my SR+ to SR and decided to drop by a supercharger to see what the curve looks like (hoping to discover definitively whether the battery is top locked or not). It was about a 25 minute drive to the supercharger, with battery preconditioning on the entire way (90F outside). I was the only car on the cabinet the entire time.

I went from 68% SOC to 100% SOC in 20 minutes, and was WELL above the SR+ supercharger curve the entire time. I also had full regen available at 100%.

How definitive an answer is this? Interested in whether or not I can safely charge to 100% without concern.

Attachments

• superchargingcurve.jpg
    superchargingcurve.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 273
How definitive an answer is this? Interested in whether or not I can safely charge to 100% without concern.
Absolutely definitive. You can definitely tell from it running at 25kW charging rate when it's all the way up at 99% that there is still more excess capacity in the battery that it has not filled yet. I wouldn't have doubted it would be any other way, since they have always done that with their software limited batteries like the "60" out of 75. Personally, I would still probably use 90% in that case, for the same reason that I would generally use around 75-80% on a normal, not software locked battery. Closer to midpoint is still a bit better, but use as high as you need to.

Good to know! Seems like I got a killer deal getting a $2000 refund on the downgrade then.

I only charge to 100% for road trips, and it's good to know I can supercharge my SR to 100% as quickly as I could get the SR+ to 90%. Same range, and the same / less charging time -- win-win.

Reactions: TomB985 and Rocky_H
Good to know! Seems like I got a killer deal getting a $2000 refund on the downgrade then.

I only charge to 100% for road trips, and it's good to know I can supercharge my SR to 100% as quickly as I could get the SR+ to 90%. Same range, and the same / less charging time -- win-win.

The SR is the best value out of the entire lineup IMO. I made the decision to purchase the SR because I do not need autopilot, it did not get a downgraded interior like it was suppose to get, 220 miles is still plenty, and at any time I have the option to upgrade to an SR+.

Yes, that was an interesting side effect benefit people discovered with the locked batteries. You are effectively getting the tapering curve of the larger battery, because that's what it is using to determine the appropriate amount of current versus the heat/fullness. So you still get a higher charging speed up at 90 and 100% than if the battery was physically smaller.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: vickh and lateulade
It MAY feel a TINY bit slower, but I can’t tell if that feeling is real or just my mind playing tricks on me because I know it’s slightly slower. Either way, it’s still plenty fast. I hesitate with things like merging when driving my wife’s Prius because it’s so slow off the line, but never with this car — it’s still much faster than I could ever need for daily driving. The only reason I don’t keep it in Chill Mode (and save my tires) is because I’m afraid I may need the speed to merge one day and it won’t be there.

Overall, I’m VERY happy with that downgrade. I basically got a second chance to make my purchase decision (I’d have chosen the SR from the get-go if it hadn’t been advertised as having cloth seats / no full center console, etc)

Reactions: Rocky_H
The SR is the best value out of the entire lineup IMO. I made the decision to purchase the SR because I do not need autopilot, it did not get a downgraded interior like it was suppose to get, 220 miles is still plenty, and at any time I have the option to upgrade to an SR+.

We SR owners still don't have upgrade to an SR+. (I'm in the a la carte camp, and AP is the only option at this point)

That said I agree that SR is the best value out of the entire lineup IMO esp. since this thread confirms that it is a top lock. Still not clear why not go to 100% whenever convenient and have the lock protect the rest?

Reactions: zackmd1
We SR owners still don't have upgrade to an SR+. (I'm in the a la carte camp, and AP is the only option at this point)

That said I agree that SR is the best value out of the entire lineup IMO esp. since this thread confirms that it is a top lock. Still not clear why not go to 100% whenever convenient and have the lock protect the rest?

Just like we still do not have that premium connectivity package... These options are likely coming eventually, Tesla just hasn't focused on creating the price structure and terms for them yet.

I was told by Fremont (and made sure to get it in writing) that I can upgrade back to SR+ for whatever the current SR+ price is - $35k. So if I wanted to go back now, I could pay $3990 to do so. Pretty good deal, as AP alone is $3k.

I was told by Fremont (and made sure to get it in writing) that I can upgrade back to SR+ for whatever the current SR+ price is - $35k. So if I wanted to go back now, I could pay $3990 to do so. Pretty good deal, as AP alone is $3k.

Hmm can you post that ? $3k AP is the only thing I see on tesla.com

Who would you contact ? service or sales ? I agree that $3990 would be a great price.

It was directly from Fremont sales, but the price is based on when you bought, and may be different considering I already paid for the SR+ and then downgraded. I’ve read several posts that SR owners were being quoted $4500 to upgrade.

It was directly from Fremont sales, but the price is based on when you bought, and may be different considering I already paid for the SR+ and then downgraded. I’ve read several posts that SR owners were being quoted $4500 to upgrade.

That $4500 is the price I have been seeing on the forums as well. When I ordered my SR I was told by my SA that I could upgrade to the SR+ for the difference in price between the two models which matches what you were told.

That $4500 is the price I have been seeing on the forums as well. When I ordered my SR I was told by my SA that I could upgrade to the SR+ for the difference in price between the two models which matches what you were told.

between current pricing (which is ~$4K and I think it'll drop next Q) vs what it was when we bought?

between current pricing (which is ~$4K and I think it'll drop next Q) vs what it was when we bought?

Right. So at the time my SR was $35k even and the SR+ was $38990 which gives a difference of $3990. I have seen though that they also want the difference in sales tax included so that might account for the $4500 price others have been given.

If you’re in that boat, worth holding out for a possible price drop once the tax credit expires — if they lower the price again you could conceivably upgrade for the cost of autopilot and effectively get the SR+ upgrades for free (not to mention the fact that you got at least some tax credit). Interesting arbitrage opportunity.

Reactions: vickh