Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Who Ordered the Tow Hitch Received a Vin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my VIN 17xx, MVPA today no text/email. Ordered mid-Feb blue/black/AWD/19"/no FSD + tow hitch.

I have an identical configuration and VIN range, ordered last July. It will be interesting to see who gets delivery notification sooner. I placed the order sooner, but yours has a longer delivery time (I may pick up in Fremont). I suspect yours will be built first, but we'll see.

Quite a few hitch orders now have VINs, but AFAIK nobody has received their car yet.

Questions not answered yet:
  • Installed at factory or SC?
  • What size receiver tube?
  • Software update to enable a "tow" mode through the interface?
  • Is the door for the bumper opening removable?

Quite a few hitch orders now have VINs, but AFAIK nobody has received their car yet.

Questions not answered yet:
  • Installed at factory or SC?
  • What size receiver tube?
  • Software update to enable a "tow" mode through the interface?
  • Is the door for the bumper opening removable?

I understand the receiver tube is 1.25", which is consistent with the tow specs I heard about. The next tube up (for heavier towing) is 2".

A friend just got his Y this week -- same specs, ordered his 2 weeks after mine (Feb '20). Apparently it was ~1 week from getting the VIN to "touchless" delivery. So I'm hoping for delivery this week!

I'll post info about the tow mode software once I get my hands on it. I have a lightweight aluminum trailer that I'll test.

I understand the receiver tube is 1.25", which is consistent with the tow specs I heard about. The next tube up (for heavier towing) is 2".

A friend just got his Y this week -- same specs, ordered his 2 weeks after mine (Feb '20). Apparently it was ~1 week from getting the VIN to "touchless" delivery. So I'm hoping for delivery this week!

I'll post info about the tow mode software once I get my hands on it. I have a lightweight aluminum trailer that I'll test.

Virtually all anecdotal evidence and info provided from SA/DAs indicate it's a 2" receiver tube, the same as Model X. Model X w/22" wheels is rated for Class II, w/20" it's Class III. 2" tubes provide much better flexibility and more options.

Last edited:
Hey, what does that delivery text look like?

"Your Model Y is on its way to the San Francisco Delivery Center and ready to be scheduled for delivery! Select your appointment now at (link)

We now offer a touchless delivery experience. Check in, complete documents on your own in your Model Y, watch tutorials on the touchscreen, and drive."

Reactions: Thp3 and rxlawdude