Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone willingly returned to the ICE-age?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who is waiting eagerly to join the EV revolution asap, I was curious to know if there are any people who have 'abandoned' EVs and gone back to an ICE car. I realize that they are now unlikely to be on this site but maybe you are keeping a 'watching brief' or you know of someone who has changed.

As far as I can see, EVs are generally just 'better' cars than ICE-age cars (for all their limitations) - especially so in the case of Tesla.

So what are the reasons people have EVs and then 'go back'?

I have noticed that EVs of many ilk have very high owner satisfaction. If EV owners never go back than we have an incremental 'ratchet' built in to the revolution...!

I have been watching this site for a long time, and basically no one has gone back to ICE.

There have been a few exceptions, like people transferred overseas and given a company car to drive while they are there, but not a single volunteer that I can remember.

GSP

As someone who is waiting eagerly to join the EV revolution asap, I was curious to know if there are any people who have 'abandoned' EVs and gone back to an ICE car. I realize that they are now unlikely to be on this site but maybe you are keeping a 'watching brief' or you know of someone who has changed.

As far as I can see, EVs are generally just 'better' cars than ICE-age cars (for all their limitations) - especially so in the case of Tesla.

So what are the reasons people have EVs and then 'go back'?

I have noticed that EVs of many ilk have very high owner satisfaction. If EV owners never go back than we have an incremental 'ratchet' built in to the revolution...!
I recently saw a video on YouTube which picked the new Mercedes S Class as slightly better than the Tesla Model S. I was astounded, especially when Consumers picked the Tesla as the #1 car. However, based on this video, I would suspect that there would be some uneducated buyers choosing to the Merc over the Tesla. Not me however ... getting my Pearl White P85 in August :)P

In addition to "uneducated buyers", it could be noted that the reasons the author of that piece chose the MB were largely superficial...

I recently saw a video on YouTube which picked the new Mercedes S Class as slightly better than the Tesla Model S. I was astounded, especially when Consumers picked the Tesla as the #1 car. However, based on this video, I would suspect that there would be some uneducated buyers choosing to the Merc over the Tesla. Not me however ... getting my Pearl White P85 in August :)P

I seriously considered going back from my Volt to an ICE. There was a period of time that I was getting somewhat annoyed with it. But my real beef is that I'm a muscle car guy, and almost all EVs are silly looking little wimpy commuter cars, the exact opposite of what I want. I want a good looking powerful EV muscle car. There is no reason to exclude my market segment from the EV landscape. Lucky for me, Elon is a fan of high performance cars as well, so a Tesla sufficiently meets my criteria and I have something to be excited about. I'm looking forward to buying a Tesla in a couple of years when I have my finances where I want them and the Superchargers are in place.

I think that once you experience the Tesla it would be hard to go back. In my case I love this car so much I want to get off the ICE altogether, so in the next 2 years want an all electric garage. I will work toward this goal because I hate buying gas and still amazed at the Tesla every time I drive it.

In addition to "uneducated buyers", it could be noted that the reasons the author of that piece chose the MB were largely superficial...
He really had a fetish for taking the Mercedes to the car wash.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe if someone moves and then has a 125+ mile commute with no recharging at work. There don't seem to be many people who don't like it once they've owned it so far.

With a 125 mi commute and no charging at work the Model S will save so much operating cost. It will take an 85 to do this commute and anything over this commuting distance will be impractical.

Those who live in apartments or condos and can't charge at their residence are the ones who will find owning a Tesla to be difficult.

He really had a fetish for taking the Mercedes to the car wash.

- - - Updated - - -

With a 125 mi commute and no charging at work the Model S will save so much operating cost. It will take an 85 to do this commute and anything over this commuting distance will be impractical.

Those who live in apartments or condos and can't charge at their residence are the ones who will find owning a Tesla to be difficult.

Sorry. I meant to type 125+ mile each way (250 mile daily commute). You're right 125 miles would be easy.

Moving to an apartment with no charging from a house could easily be a reason why someone decides to go back to an ICE. I agree.

Except I seem to recall a number of people moving home to be able to charge! Moving FROM a home to a condo sounds pretty dire situation..................

Of course living in an apartment where charging is not practical would preclude an EV but if you have one already would you willingly move to a place where there was no charging?!

I suppose I was asking whether there are many people who have Leafs/Focus-zes/Volts (sort of...) who are so disappointed with their cars generally or EVs in particular that they couldn't wait to go back to an ICE.

It is sad that EVs generally have not been playing to their strengths (unlike Tesla) so they have not 'enhanced' the cause.

Amazes me beyond words that the premier car manufacturers have not realized the main appeal and benefits of EVs (as well as the inherent high cost at the moment) indicates that one goes for the big buck models (especially Rolls/Bentley/AM and so on..). Tesla have shown that works as a policy and even if they can never drag the cost down for the Gen3 to mid-range, I believe they have a future in just doing fantastic top-end vehicles - S; X; big pick-up; cabrios; super-lux limo; supercar et al.

they only stories I hear are from people who own many cars, bought the MS, then realized they simply can't go back to driving their other ICE cars so they sell them afterwards aka Mercedes, Acura NSX, Porsche, Jag's, BMWs, even Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.

I have an ICE track car. But that's a single-purpose vehicle, and unfortunately Tesla doesn't make a suitable car for that purpose. All daily driving is EV.

same. granted i dont have a tesla yet, just some oversized golf karts. the only way i could manage an EV racecar is with a lot of money and a tow vehicle.
i used to love reving the crap out of my motor, but now... it just seems all too harsh and hot and smelly. lol.

I agree with the previous post that said they are still amazed every time they drive it. I feel the same way. I keep waiting for it wear off, but it doesn't . The car is just so different from the old ways.

It gives me further reason to remove gas in all parts of my life. I switched to an electric chainsaw and an electric lawnmower. The only gas thing at this point is really the 'cottage car' we have which rarely gets used, but it is an ICE. When it dies, it will be replaced by an electric.

Al - I agree with you - every time I see a Prius....and man, oh man, do I see a lot of those these days....I think to myself 'that person will own a Gen 3'. Prius owners clearly a) don't mind paying extra for an enviro/efficient product, b) they have 'dipped their toes' into an electrified ride and c) are forward thinking. I think Gen 3 is going to have sooooo many 'conquest' buyers from the Prius world. I believe that Tesla numbers/estimates for the gigafactory are heavily weighted on the assumption that hybrid owners will be come Gen 3 owners, and I believe they will be proven right.