Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla solved the satellite radio with NO glass roof issue yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I want Sirius Satellite Radio. But I absolutely WILL NOT get a glass roof or sunroof of any kind. Solid metal roof only for me.

Has Tesla got this lined up as an available setup? EVERY OTHER car manufacturer on earth can put a satellite radio antenna on a metal roof, there's no reason why Tesla cannot. Screw the 0.21 C/D drag ratio, I don't care.

And I'd also like Satellite radio on the base radio, I don't want to have to spend thousands for a fancy stereo just so I can listen to Howard Stern and comedy channels.

Has Tesla tweeted on this yet?

Reactions: Scannerman
I ordered the Sun Roof to have XM for the recent MS 90D purchase. Have enjoyed XM since the single satellite days back in 2002 starting with the retro SONY model. Back then we used our own antenna on the roof or under the windshield. Many portables were purchased over the years. Some had great FM transmitters built-in. Ideally, Tesla should design their vehicles so AM and XM is available in every configuration. Having a direct audio input would be a nice feature at the very least.
iu

SONY came to the rescue again when I carried a small portable AM radio in the Model X. Used a separate FM transmitter to send the audio into the Tesla speakers.

If you have an unlimited data plan on your cellular phone, the SiriusXM app works in areas with cellular service.

Last edited:
I frequently travel to place that have no cell service (to the White Mountains in AZ for example) and would like to be able to listen to some live channels, that's why Sirius-XM is important.

Exactly this... there is always a sat connection where there is not always a cell connection. Until Elon gets his worldwide satellite internet providing grid up I think satellite radio is still very relevant.

Reactions: rxlawdude
So to the subject, "Has Tesla solved the satellite radio...", I would add "again". I'm perplexed why one would need to have a glass roof for it, as my Roadster has satellite radio regardless of what roof is attached. I believe the antenna is either in the dash or elsewhere in the upper front of the car, and it seems to work just fine. So, I see no reason to presume the Model 3 would have a dependency on the roof for satellite radio to work.

So to the subject, "Has Tesla solved the satellite radio...", I would add "again". I'm perplexed why one would need to have a glass roof for it, as my Roadster has satellite radio regardless of what roof is attached. I believe the antenna is either in the dash or elsewhere in the upper front of the car, and it seems to work just fine. So, I see no reason to presume the Model 3 would have a dependency on the roof for satellite radio to work.

Probably because in recent years, Tesla has only allowed XM with a sunroof on the Model s. But who knows where the antenna will be on a 3.

There is no issue to solve. Tesla is looking to the future not hanging on to outdated technologies like Sirius.

Said by someone who I assume never drives where there is no cell coverage? Then what? I know Elon Musk wants to bring cell coverage by satellite but until he does that Sirius is not outdated technology. In fact, it's the only technology available today to get live radio in your vehicle where there's no cell coverage. Not everyone wants to spend their days in places where there's cell phone coverage. The places I look forward to being at most have no coverage.

Plus, Sirius/XM has 30 million subscribers and growing. Content is king regardless of the means of transmission. Warren Buffet just made a huge buy of the stock, but what does he know... right?

I have a portable Sirius/XM receiver with a lifetime subscription and with the pano roof and aluminium body, I couldn't get the magnetic antenna to stick to anything. So I put a bolt in the pano roof rack slot and it holds fine to the head of the bolt. I mainly use it when driving to and from my cabin where there's no cell coverage, and on road trips, so it's only temporary but it works great for those times.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: M0DEL³ and Az_Rael
Said by someone who I assume never drives where there is no cell coverage? Then what? I know Elon Musk wants to bring cell coverage by satellite but until he does that Sirius is not outdated technology. In fact, it's the only technology available today to get live radio in your vehicle where there's no cell coverage. Not everyone wants to spend their days in places where there's cell phone coverage. The places I look forward to being at most have no coverage.

Plus, Sirius/XM has 30 million subscribers and growing. Content is king regardless of the means of transmission. Warren Buffet just made a huge buy of the stock, but what does he know... right?

I have a portable Sirius/XM receiver with a lifetime subscription and with the pano roof and aluminium body, I couldn't get the magnetic antenna to stick to anything. So I put a bolt in the pano roof rack slot and it holds fine to the head of the bolt. I mainly use it when driving to and from my cabin where there's no cell coverage, and on road trips, so it's only temporary but it works great for those times.
Said by someone who is too smart to be sucked in by these flim flam artists who sell Sirius XM products. I see Sirius stock is all the way up to $5 after a low of a couple cents, still miles away from its high years ago. Warren Buffett may well make money on the stock but it doesn't change the fact that it is a slimy business that has been able to get away with its business practices where it has no competition. Sirius makes cable TV operators look like saints by comparison.

• Disagree
Said by someone who is too smart to be sucked in by these flim flam artists who sell Sirius XM products.

So tell me, how do you listen to a live hockey game, or CNN, etc. when driving in an area with no cell or radio coverage? Right, you don't - because it's not possible any other way than with Sirius. That's fine if you don't like live content, or if you do but you live, work and play in the city, and never go anywhere there's no cell phone coverage but I can't live my life that way. I need both live content and my cabin on a lake where there's no cell coverage.

Plus, I paid $500 for a lifetime sub in 2008 when I bought my Tahoe Hybrid that's still humming along. When I looked into the lifetime sub option in 2008, people said I was nuts on the Tahoe forum to buy it because the company was near bankruptcy and I would lose my money. So I looked into it and the stock was so cheap I bought both the sub and the SIRI stock. It's been one of my best stocks.

Then in 2014 when I bought my Tesla, I paid another $400 to buy a portable receiver with a lifetime sub off eBay (with the Pre-FTC strong FM transmitter) since Sirius no longer offers both of these. Another great investment.

You can claim you're "too smart to too smart to be sucked in by these flim flam artists". I'll be driving along listening to live content while out of cell phone range, and while relaxing at my cabin since I also have the home base unit for my portable sub.

I want Sirius Satellite Radio. But I absolutely WILL NOT get a glass roof or sunroof of any kind. Solid metal roof only for me.

Has Tesla got this lined up as an available setup? EVERY OTHER car manufacturer on earth can put a satellite radio antenna on a metal roof, there's no reason why Tesla cannot. Screw the 0.21 C/D drag ratio, I don't care.

And I'd also like Satellite radio on the base radio, I don't want to have to spend thousands for a fancy stereo just so I can listen to Howard Stern and comedy channels.

Has Tesla tweeted on this yet?

I could not agree more with the preceding post. By the way I installed my first XM receiver about 6 weeks after it became available, on a car which required an aftermarket antenna. I did not think I would have to revisit that nightmare!

My list of concerns is growing-absence of mirror based intrusion warning, absence of adjustable AC ducts, absence of centrally located speedometer and other basic info, being forced to buy a pano or sunroof (if I want XM). This is not encouraging at all.

Scannerman