Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has there been any more P3D Inverter info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've seen the ingineerix videos on the Model 3 inverter, but I haven't been able to find anything on the Performance variant of the inverters. Has anyone done a teardown to see of confirm anything about them? I'm wondering if they are 500A front and 500A rear, or 500A front and 800A rear? In searching I've seen all sorts of unconfirmed speculation from before people got their hands on the things, but nothing with any direct source.

I'm partly curious to what potential bumps in power are available. Two 500A inverters could still give a decent bump to power, but a 500A and 800A inverter could give a serious bump. This is assuming the batteries could handle it, I don't know what these cells can actually safely put out.

Also as a side note, has anyone used a clamp on ammeter going to the motors? It seems like that should work pretty well, it'd be interesting to see that load during a launch to see how much the bottom end is clipped

• Informative
Reactions: KG M3 and kbecks13
There remains 0 evidence of any physical difference between any model 3 drive unit (other than possibly the rear MR one)

The Tesla online parts catalog shows only one rear drive unit (which is motor and inverter) for RWD LR, AWD, and AWD-P.

It shows only one front drive unit (which again is both inverter and motor) period.

All differences appear to be 100% software based on all available evidence.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash