Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has this ever happened to you?? Unable to retract 2nd row seatbelt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
313E1210-D7B7-444B-A5F1-A62D8937397C.jpeg
A2A8CFEA-3419-45D2-98D9-7086173D3A65.jpeg
Click bait title, but I need group think. Tesla says this isn’t covered under warranty. I’m hoping to fight that. The seat belt would not retract properly (happens all the time) and ended up looped around the 2nd row seat and cannot be undone. Mobile service already tried and failed to fix it. The resolution is a seatbelt replacement. $681 and NO loaner car. We have no other car that will fit 3 car seats and will be out of pocket for a rental during the repair if they don’t come around on the warranty charge.

Has this ever happened to your seat belt?
Should it be covered under warranty?

The seat belt would not retract properly (happens all the time) and ended up looped around the 2nd row seat and cannot be undone. Mobile service already tried and failed to fix it.
Can you be more specific? It does not retract at all?

What did Mobile Service try to do?

My guess is that seats, especially the older MX ones, are just a "unit" accordinging to Tesla and they may not even know how to take them apart to fix the retractor.

Title is awful and annoying. I usually ignore threads like that. Seatbelt and retract should have been in it.

Still I'm finding it hard to believe that Tesla is not fixing a broken seat belt because of the safety aspect. Is there more to the story? Is it simply used to hold in a car seat (so it would be stretched out typically farther than a normal passenger would? Shouldn't matter tho as it is a family car and should be designed for that. Kids yanking on seat belt all the time?

That is a warranty issue. The seatbelt retractor is broken.

#onlyatTesla

No, that is correct operation of the automatic locking retractor, required for safety seats. Getting the belt looped around the seat is not Tesla's fault.

From the manual:
To securely hold child safety seats, all passenger seating positions are equipped with an automatic locking retractor (ALR) that, by pulling the seat belt beyond the length needed for a typical adult occupant, locks the belt into place until the seat belt is unbuckled and the webbing is fully retracted. The ALR mechanism operates as a ratchet, winding in slack and preventing the seat belt from extending any further until it has been completely rewound. When installing a child safety seat, engage the belt's automatic locking retractor by pulling the seat belt webbing until it is fully extended. The ALR system engages only when the seat belt is atits maximum extension point.
Note: An automatic locking retractor disengages only when the seat belt is unbuckled and fully retracted.

Probably the only way to reset the retractor pawl is tear the seat apart and unbolt the anchor in the bottom. There should be a procedure in the service manual if anyone has access to that.

There might be a way if it build with a lever that detects full rewind and that is accessible with the trim removed.
At the most it should be half of a a seat belt remove install process without a replacement (assuming no one time fastening methods) . Unless the retractor is broken, in which case it would be a warranty thing.

Some good questions...I’ll do my best with them.

Can you be more specific? It does not retract at all?

What did Mobile Service try to do?

My guess is that seats, especially the older MX ones, are just a "unit" accordinging to Tesla and they may not even know how to take them apart to fix the retractor.
Mobile service took the seat apart but the retractor is stuck. The underlying issue is those monopost seat seatbelts never did a great job of retracting back even when just a normal occupant was there, not even a car seat.

Title is awful and annoying. I usually ignore threads like that. Seatbelt and retract should have been in it.

Still I'm finding it hard to believe that Tesla is not fixing a broken seat belt because of the safety aspect. Is there more to the story? Is it simply used to hold in a car seat (so it would be stretched out typically farther than a normal passenger would? Shouldn't matter tho as it is a family car and should be designed for that. Kids yanking on seat belt all the time?

Title is awful, but you read it and replied so +1 for me vs internet today. Child’s Car seat was in place, so seat belt was pulled all the way out but after car seat was uninstalled the belt would not go back in. This causes the belt to hang down while we looked for a solution. Unfortunately when it un-stuck itself, the belt became wrapped around the underside of the seat.

There might be a way if it build with a lever that detects full rewind and that is accessible with the trim removed.
At the most it should be half of a a seat belt remove install process without a replacement (assuming no one time fastening methods) . Unless the retractor is broken, in which case it would be a warranty thing.

Mobile service tried, so should be warranty now, but they sent me an invoice for $681. It includes replacing the seatbelt itself and labor time ($195/hr)

Mobile service tried, so should be warranty now, but they sent me an invoice for $681. It includes replacing the seatbelt itself and labor time ($195/hr)

Not sure why you are saying it should be warranty now unless they disconnected one end, unwrapped it, and it is still not retracting. Then it would clearly be a part issue. Otherwise there is no way to undo that.
Is the $681 to have them replace it? Or is it from the Mobile visit?.

Not sure why you are saying it should be warranty now unless they disconnected one end, unwrapped it, and it is still not retracting. Then it would clearly be a part issue. Otherwise there is no way to undo that.
Is the $681 to have them replace it? Or is it from the Mobile visit?.

That’s what I am saying, mobile service tried to disconnect it and unwrap it and they could not. NOW we have a new invoice for the upcoming service appointment. I would attach it but I can’t download the doc unless I sign it. The $681 is for the service center to replace the seatbelt module which, like it sounds like you’re agreeing, should be covered by warranty, yes?

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
That’s what I am saying, mobile service tried to disconnect it and unwrap it and they could not. NOW we have a new invoice for the upcoming service appointment. I would attach it but I can’t download the doc unless I sign it. The $681 is for the service center to replace the seatbelt module which, like it sounds like you’re agreeing, should be covered by warranty, yes?

Definitely, if the belt would not retract, then that indicates a failure in the unit and should be under warranty. The only reason for it not to be would be ih there were some way to damage the mechanism via over pulling, but I don't see how that is possible.

You probably just need to validate that they will back off the charges when it's repaired. I have seen others who get quotes for certain repairs, even having to sign the authorization as such, and then it's backed off with "Warranty" once the work is done.

Title is awful, but you read it and replied so +1 for me vs internet today. Child’s Car seat was in place, so seat belt was pulled all the way out but after car seat was uninstalled the belt would not go back in. This causes the belt to hang down while we looked for a solution. Unfortunately when it un-stuck itself, the belt became wrapped around the underside of the seat.
Hopefully karma takes care of you and your troubles then. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Lhshockey24
View attachment 440874 View attachment 440875 Click bait title, but I need group think. Tesla says this isn’t covered under warranty. I’m hoping to fight that. The seat belt would not retract properly (happens all the time) and ended up looped around the 2nd row seat and cannot be undone. Mobile service already tried and failed to fix it. The resolution is a seatbelt replacement. $681 and NO loaner car. We have no other car that will fit 3 car seats and will be out of pocket for a rental during the repair if they don’t come around on the warranty charge.

View attachment 440874 View attachment 440875 Click bait title, but I need group think. Tesla says this isn’t covered under warranty. I’m hoping to fight that. The seat belt would not retract properly (happens all the time) and ended up looped around the 2nd row seat and cannot be undone. Mobile service already tried and failed to fix it. The resolution is a seatbelt replacement. $681 and NO loaner car. We have no other car that will fit 3 car seats and will be out of pocket for a rental during the repair if they don’t come around on the warranty charge.

Hi! Curious what the fix was. Our 5 year old just did this to our seat. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I know this thread is old, but my 2016 MX has this exact same issue.

I'm looking for repair options since the car is out of warranty. I found this place: https://www.myairbags.com/product/seat-belt-repair-1-stage/ where I remove the seat belt unit myself, send it in and they'll fix it and send it back, for $90.

Has anyone used such a service?
Wat was your solution. Ik have the same problem after removing child seat. Thanks