Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatch light upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few Amazon sellers with MY hatch LED upgrades (one below currently unavailable, but still provides good information):

There are also site that sell the same, for example:

And a few YT videos on it:, such as:

There may be more than one version of these lights, some with cooler color temperature, but I can't be sure.

Question--has anyone here actually made the switch? Is it indeed brighter and provide better visibility at night? If the color temperature is too cold, even brighter, can affect visibility. I'm interested to hear about any experiences.

Thanks!

I find the OEM hatch light on the MY is already much brighter than any rear cargo light I’ve experienced (Jeep Liberty, Subaru Outback and Forester). I thought about upgrading to one of these while shopping for accessories for my first MY before it was delivered, but ultimately found I didn’t need a brighter light the first time I opened the hatch at night.

Reactions: snovvman
Manually move your hatch and watch as the light dims as you close it.

My 2023 Model Y hatch light dims when it closes. It's at full bright when it is more than 50% open and dims considerably when it is less than that.

Anybody know why that is?

I can't let the hatch open more than 50% when parked in my garage, so lighting sucks when loading or unloading the trunk - in the garage. Otherwise it's great.

Anybody know how to override this?