Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatch rattle squashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dennisis

Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Tucson
Thankfully my MY has been almost rattle-free, though on rough patches I'd hear a "tinny" vibration coming from the hatch area. After several short investigative trips and failed searches I partially removed the top interior panel on the hatch by pulling where it meets the lower panel - it stayed attached at the top center. I discovered a hard black plastic bracket 12" or so long, one on each side, which when tapped in various locations seemed to produce the same sound I was hearing. I then ordered this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J64OOO

I applied in several locations between the bracket and the frame until I tapped and all sounded solid, then pressed the panel back into place and wiped everything down. Test drives lead me to believe this fixed the annoying rattle! (heavy knocks on wood here...)

Anyway, hope this may help someone else. If nothing else this "Quiet Tape" is good to keep in mind if you have a similar situation.
Cheers! :)

Thankfully my MY has been almost rattle-free, though on rough patches I'd hear a "tinny" vibration coming from the hatch area. After several short investigative trips and failed searches I partially removed the top interior panel on the hatch by pulling where it meets the lower panel - it stayed attached at the top center. I discovered a hard black plastic bracket 12" or so long, one on each side, which when tapped in various locations seemed to produce the same sound I was hearing. I then ordered this on Amazon:

I applied in several locations between the bracket and the frame until I tapped and all sounded solid, then pressed the panel back into place and wiped everything down. Test drives lead me to believe this fixed the annoying rattle! (heavy knocks on wood here...)

Anyway, hope this may help someone else. If nothing else this "Quiet Tape" is good to keep in mind if you have a similar situation.

I feel i have the same rattle and unable to pinpoint where it is coming from, on rough patches it is consisent. Which top interior panel are you referring to? on the hatch door itself?

+1

I've got the same tinging sound. I tapped around the rear hatch to try to locate it, but haven't tried opening it up yet. I have a service appointment this week so hopefully the tech can locate and fix it.