Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle from trunk near the subwoofer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I love the sound from our Model Y. And i happen to love the bass so it is maxed out (the two levers to the left in the EQ are at max).

Many songs that has a clear hard bass produces a rattle coming from the subwoofer side. It's really hard to locate. I have removed the panels on the subwoofer side, taped the cables and applied tape with felt on between the panels and between the panels and car body.

This is starting to drive me nuts at this point! Is this perhaps to be expected with the bass set to max?

The rattle never occurs while just driving/road vibrations.

If anyone here has had the same problems and could give me any tips on what to try next I would be greatful.

I have had a trunk kicksensor installed so by asking Tesla to look at it I am afraid of them claiming that it might have caused it which I don't believe.

Last edited:
I had some rattling from the trim pieces for the trunk bumpers. I've currently got some sponge jammed in there, if I can ever remember to buy some weatherstripping I'm going to put something more permanent in.
IMG_1053.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
I had some rattling from the trim pieces for the trunk bumpers. I've currently got some sponge jammed in there, if I can ever remember to buy some weatherstripping I'm going to put something more permanent in. View attachment 881426
Hey thanks for the tip, will check it out!

So I just came in from laying in the trunk while my daughter played some music from the drivers seat.

I located it to the lower panel thats covering the subwoofer side. The part that is at the outer area is where it comes from. Once the rattle starts I can make it stop by pushing or hitting that spot.

I removed the side for the eight time and I put some tape on the white screw that connects the panel to the frame of the car. There are two of those and both are rattling and not firm while i shook the panel to hear where it could be from.

I also placed some thick foam on the inside at the edge of the panel where the rubber seal goes in case it vibrates from there, who knows...

20221204_214740.jpg

Reactions: HSATD
Hello Martina,

I am experiencing the same rattle but in my case the subwoofer is not causing the rattle, it only happens when I drive over bumpy or irregular pavement.

I want to fix it but I don't know how to remove the panels. Since you did it 8 times already, can you point me to a video or guide with the steps to do it?? Thank you and I hope you solved your rattling issue.

Hello Martina,

I am experiencing the same rattle but in my case the subwoofer is not causing the rattle, it only happens when I drive over bumpy or irregular pavement.

I want to fix it but I don't know how to remove the panels. Since you did it 8 times already, can you point me to a video or guide with the steps to do it?? Thank you and I hope you solved your rattling issue.
Have exactly same issue. Was planning to call Tesla for that fix. Just can find time to document it on video.
I use Ton Generator app on the phone. When you change frequency you can clearly hear where the noise is coming from and it is clearly from subwoofer behind the trim. Every 100 miles I drive it gets worse and worse. Now I hear it on every road except highways.
Would prefer to fix myself but don’t want to break the trim.

I will just throw out here that my MYP had a rattle as well when i first got the car from the sub area and the bass would hit. I took the panel off and found that one of the bolts holding the sub enclosure to the car was loose. I had to use several washers to fill the gap and I was then able to tighten the bolt enough so it would no longer rattle.

Hi again

I have located it to the panels themselves that hides the subwoofer. If I press on the panel it stops. It is where the panels meet.

To anyone who wants to remove the side panels I can say it is quite simple, first time it is a bit scary but gets easier for every time you do it. Whats worse for me I have a kick sensor installed for my trunk so Tesla will blame that I am sure.

For anyone who wants to remove the panels follow this guide starting at 01:09

You must be firm when you pull the panels. Clips will break be prepared for that.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis
Hi again

I have located it to the panels themselves that hides the subwoofer. If I press on the panel it stops. It is where the panels meet.

To anyone who wants to remove the side panels I can say it is quite simple, first time it is a bit scary but gets easier for every time you do it. Whats worse for me I have a kick sensor installed for my trunk so Tesla will blame that I am sure.

For anyone who wants to remove the panels follow this guide starting at 01:09

You must be firm when you pull the panels. Clips will break be prepared for that.
Would you post a link to where you purchased the replacement clips?

Would you post a link to where you purchased the replacement clips?

Well thats the thing... The small white clips that goes on the top part of the side panel covering the subwoofer aren't availible online in bulk like almost every other clip for Tesla for some reason. Tesla wants almost 30 dollars for a couple of them.

They look like this

20221207_210831.jpg

And they go along this side

20221207_210904.jpg

20221207_210853.jpg

The clip is named EDGE CLIP,6MMX15,SOLID,POM
1496105-00-B

Found it thanks to this thread Interior trim clip question

The other clips are just standard ones availible on Ebay and so on.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis
Well thats the thing... The small white clips that goes on the top part of the side panel covering the subwoofer aren't availible online in bulk like almost every other clip for Tesla for some reason. Tesla wants almost 30 dollars for a couple of them.

They look like this

View attachment 893688

And they go along this side

View attachment 893689

View attachment 893690

The clip is named EDGE CLIP,6MMX15,SOLID,POM
1496105-00-B

Found it thanks to this thread Interior trim clip question

The other clips are just standard ones availible on Ebay and so on.
Wow, best I've found is $5 ea. for those clips, crazy. Was thinking about popping off those rear panels but if those fasteners break so easily I think I'll hold off. Nothing in there to fix anyway at this point but wanted to explore a bit....

Wow, best I've found is $5 ea. for those clips, crazy. Was thinking about popping off those rear panels but if those fasteners break so easily I think I'll hold off. Nothing in there to fix anyway at this point but wanted to explore a bit....
Well I got off the panels without issues the first 4 times. When it broke of it was also about -8 celsius. Plastic breaks much easier at such a cold enviroment.

Also I simply took a clip from the other side. I want to believe that it is more important that every clip holds the panel near the subwoofer than the side without it lol.

Thanks for this. I just picked up my MY a few days ago and noticed I have the same rattle, I listen heavy bass music and I have it cranked to max on the eq. I'm wondering if it would make sense to fix this on my own as I have some sound deadening foam lying around, as opposed to taking it back to Tesla.