Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have all the bugs been worked out of the MCU 1 > 2 Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Aggmeister2010

Dec 26, 2018
SE USA
Hey everyone,

I have a “healthy” MCU1 with the replaced eMMC and a new screen replaced under warranty. I do not experience crashes, and I don’t use the FM/AM/XM radio

My only complaints are the slow nav/audio load times, and slow boot times when the car has been sitting a couple days.

I’m considering buying the upgrade, but I keep wading through threads about crackling audio, sim reverse cameras, etc…

My old MCU1 may be slow, but once it’s going it is reliable and stable. I’m hesitant to trade a slow but stable system for one that is fast but has bugs.

What are y’all’s thoughts? Are we past the growing pains?

There probably aren't many personal computers around as long as you have had the MCU in your car. No code from Tesla is anywhere close to bug free. I probably wouldn't upgrade unless I was frustrated with the limitations of the hardware in both capability and speed.

My MCU2 upgrade has been pretty good. It's not flawless, but I haven't had a string of issues. I vaguely remember a dim camera in the beginning, but that was addressed long ago. Only permanent flaws are that Joe mode doesn't really do anything anymore, and the car doesn't attenuate music while announcing navigation prompts. I asked mobile service about this when they replaced my 12v battery and their service P85D w/MCU2 retrofit had the same issue.

Reactions: henderrj
Hey everyone,

I have a “healthy” MCU1 with the replaced eMMC and a new screen replaced under warranty. I do not experience crashes, and I don’t use the FM/AM/XM radio

My only complaints are the slow nav/audio load times, and slow boot times when the car has been sitting a couple days.

I’m considering buying the upgrade, but I keep wading through threads about crackling audio, sim reverse cameras, etc…

My old MCU1 may be slow, but once it’s going it is reliable and stable. I’m hesitant to trade a slow but stable system for one that is fast but has bugs.

What are y’all’s thoughts? Are we past the growing pains?

Our MCU upgrade has been pretty much perfect. The advantages are so great that it's hard to even contemplate the idea of sticking with MCU 1. I would spend the money as soon as possible. It is probably the best purchase/upgrade that we've made with any car. It really did make it feel like a brand new car. Plus, my wife loves to sit in the car and play games while I go into the hardware store. So, I get to go into the hardware store more!

Reactions: dramsey
I also had a flawless upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 (in my Dec-2016 S). I didn't bother with the radio as I never used it before the upgrade. Streaming and USB music works fine, and the dashcam worked dramatically better. MCU1 with AP3.0 (FSD) enabled dashcam, but it was really poor and I think Tesla has since disabled MCU1 dashcam feature. I agree with others that MCU2 made the car feel new again! Screen quality was better on both the instrument cluster (it's replaced with the retrofit) and the main screen with better contrast.

I did the upgrade 10 months ago on my '14 and have had zero real issues and many improvements. The only very minor negative is the dim backup camera at night. It doesn't bother me but it bothers my wife who drives an unmodified '15. The positives far outweigh this one little thing and i would do it again in a heartbeat.

I did the MCU upgrade over a year ago in my 2017 MS. Glad I did.

Initially there were a couple installation errors because I think I was one of the first to have it done at my service center. But they were quickly fixed. (USB ports didn’t work nor did autopilot.)

And the first few months, the MCU would crash two times and auto reboot. But it’s been solid since. Initially the backup camera was dark but that has since been corrected with software updates as well.

Definitely makes the car feel new again.

Well I have not done this upgrade and will keep off as long as the car behaves fine. Tesla did the eMMC recall last year May, with only issue that new map upgrade did not download and stayed stalled. Two other occasions have been once, that the main screen showed cryptic text and once was radio transmitting quit suddenly. Both this did resolved with thumb wheel restart.
My car is 03/16 AP1 and as of that I‘m still enjoying the Autosteer functions that are not influenced by the phantom braking problems. This is one of the main reason that holds me back on the upgrade. Also the car came with LTE board so the connection has not been with any issues as well. And the screens have not had the yellowing weakness so all seems fine.
I do not see any issues with navigation and even the browser keeps functioning fine. I do not care of any games nor I do not use the car for internet browsing. I use three or four pages frequently for my driving information and they are the only favourites and do perform fine.
I like the MCU1 sound although it’s not premium. And still holding back on v11 installation (as long as possible).

My car is 03/16 AP1 and as of that I‘m still enjoying the Autosteer functions that are not influenced by the phantom braking problems. This is one of the main reason that holds me back on the upgrade.
AP1 functionality is not altered at all by MCU2 upgrade. Tesla has not made any changes to AP1 programming in many years, way before introduction of MCU2 upgrade.