Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have an Audi R8, does a Tesla or some other EV make sense for my commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from a Tesla dealership. Got to drive 2 cars

1. Model 3 Performance on software 2019.32.11.1
Is this the latest software for peak power? Handling and everything on the car felt good but the power just didn't feel there. Although the 0-60 speeds were good, 70-75+ and flooring it was lack luster in comparison to my R8. I know the EV dies off at higher speeds, but is there any Tesla that will continue to have that strong pull feeling if you floor it going 70ish?

2. Model S LR on software 2019.36.2.2
Wanted to see how the S compared to a 3. I like the comfort and cockpit and screen of the S a ton more. Obviously I can't really compare power since it is a LR but I am interested in what a performance feels like. Perhaps it will address my wants at the higher speeds? Big downfall is obviously the braking and handling...again coming from a 3, I could easily tell the difference. I'm not surprised, but I liked the agileness of the 3 better.

On the software the cars were on, is there anything concerning/missing from them that would impact power?

2019.32.x does not have the power bump, it's the first major version 10 release (Smart Summon, Spotify, Youtube) . 2019.36 has the power bump over about 50mph. I definitely noticed it on my LR AWD non performance Model 3. Think of it as a 30 horsepower bump at higher vehicle speeds.

I haven't seen data for the Model S, but for the model 3 a user on Reddit posted this comparison for the non-performance long range AWD car. It uses the self reported power recorded live from the car's software, not tested on a separate dyno.

Model 3 torque curve 2019.36.2.1.png

I'm surprised Tesla didn't bother to do make sure that car had the increased power software update when it's specifically meant for test drives.

For the most part ICE still beats EV at high vehicle speeds, especially high revving naturally aspirated engines like your R8 has. You have to decide if that's a deal breaker. For context, a Model 3 AWD and Model 3 AWD LR will trap over 110 mph in the 1/4 mile. It's definitely not bad in that area, you're just comparing it to something that has a natural strength in high revving and high speeds. It's one of the reasons why the Porsche Taycan has the 800V system with the 2 speed transmission, but they paid a big price in awful range and efficiency.

Overall though you have to think of a Tesla as closer to a muscle car domestic V8 than a high revving German engine designed in the 2000s.

Last edited:
For the most part ICE still beats EV at high vehicle speeds, especially high revving naturally aspirated engines like your R8 has. You have to decide if that's a deal breaker. .

Notice that when you see high-powered high revving "exotics" on public streets and freeways they typically lumber around outside their power band. To do otherwise is noisy, inefficient and somewhat obnoxious.

If they decide to get competitive with the Tesla, it's usually too late due to lag and shifting, they make a lot of racket, attract unwanted attention, and with all that fanfare they are still in the rearview.

If high-speed triple digit driving is an often used requirement, ICE would get the nod. If your daily use is more typical, nothing is better than electric for instant torque, acceleration and exhilaration.

Reactions: FlatSix911