Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have an Audi R8, does a Tesla or some other EV make sense for my commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 200 mile commute won't be possible during winter without a LR battery.
Get the nonP for better range and still awesome performance.
Remember this is your commuter car

He said a 100 mile roundtrip.

Regardless, considering his current car, I don't think he'd be looking for the lowest cost solution (SR+) but the best solution.
So LR/AWD Model 3 with FSD should be that starting point, and will comfortably handle the range regardless of weather.
Note: Zipcode 95126 is San Jose, CA, so no worries about frigid temps, so the SR+ could comfortably handle that roundtrip.

With that routine trip, the current EAP-based status of FSD will definitely help make the trip easier and safer, which is why I'd recommend it regardless of which car.

And yes he'll need home charging with at least 240v/30A (14-30, 14-50 or 6-50 socket) :)

Last edited:
3P sounds like a winner for you.

Since it sounds like you like acceleration you might also check out an S Performance which won't be as nimble but acceleration is a whole different level than 3P. Also larger, much more cargo capacity (and significantly more expensive of course).

Either way, Autopilot will be a lifesaver for such a long commute.

3P sounds like a winner for you.

Since it sounds like you like acceleration you might also check out an S Performance which won't be as nimble but acceleration is a whole different level than 3P. Also larger, much more cargo capacity (and significantly more expensive of course).

Either way, Autopilot will be a lifesaver for such a long commute.

I like "smaller" cars because of how nimble they are. I owned an 2014 Stage 1 RS7 and although the car had way more power than my current R8, it was very very heavy for any kind of canyon carving. Not saying I expect the Tesla to be like that.

I'm not sure this will play out for the current generation of used Model S vs Model 3. Many older Model S battery packs are having issues with range due to the previous pack designs and chemistry.
Definitely P100D. Just read some threads on 90 batteries and their range, charging speeds, degradation vs those on the P100D.

I agree, stay away from the 90 battery pack... the improved chemistry on the 100 is the way to go. :cool:

I did a quick test ride with a Model 3 LR yesterday (they were supposed to give me the performance model smh) and I had to sign a waiver which was geared more towards a loaner car. Do you think if I am actually serious enough to buy one, they would allow me to have it for the day?

Talk to sales and ask if you can have a performance for a weekend trial. Typically you can pick it up on a Friday and return it Monday morning. That’s what I did here in Switzerland. Depending on region they may not go for it, but if you show up in your R8 and look serious about buying it can be done. They did it for me.

After my switch, and knowing you are coming from an R8 like me I’d suggest going with the P3D+. You’ll also likely find yourself in the same situation as many of us coming from these luxury cars in that while the Tesla is a fantastic technological marvel the fit and finish does leave a bit to me desired. panel gaps, road noise, etc. All these can be addressed with mods but you should be prepared for that. I went in the deep end and never looked back with Up Performance coilover suspension, full carbon kit, PPF, tinted headlights with smoke, carbon interior and sound dampening to name a few. once you start it can get addicting. But every time you get in the car and hit the accelerator it will give you that nice Tesla grin. And it never gets old blowing away Ferrari’s, Porsches, Audi’s, etc off the line.

I like "smaller" cars because of how nimble they are. I owned an 2014 Stage 1 RS7 and although the car had way more power than my current R8, it was very very heavy for any kind of canyon carving. Not saying I expect the Tesla to be like that.
This is EXACTLY why I went with the P3D+. I’ve driven many model S’s and Xs and also had a Tesla Roadster since 2012. Having the smaller car with Track mode enabled in the twisties IS the way to go man!

Why do you recommend a S over 3?

Because it is noisy as heck and it’s firm ride can get old on long drives. I switched from Model 3 to X and it’s night and day difference in comfort. Around town or short drives the Model 3 is fine. OP is coming from an R8.

He should carefully test drive both S and 3.

First day I drove an S as a loaner for a Model 3 repair I wanted one.

Another question you may want to consider is garage space. My NSX is similar to your R8 in length at approximately 174", my Model 3 performance is about 185" and the Model S is about 196". Some of the newer condo and townhouse units I have seen in Northern CA seem to have smaller garages these days. Just a thought .......

Another question you may want to consider is garage space. My NSX is similar to your R8 in length at approximately 174", my Model 3 performance is about 185" and the Model S is about 196". Some of the newer condo and townhouse units I have seen in Northern CA seem to have smaller garages these days. Just a thought .......

I had a 2014 RS7 in the garage before I switched to the R8. The RS7 is 197.3" in length so whether I have the Model 3 or S, I should be fine. But that is something I had to do in measuring my garage before I committed on the RS7 haha.

I test drove another Model 3 LR as the two Tesla dealerships say they don't have any Performance models available. This one for some reason seemed to have better pick up than the one I test drove yesterday. Assuming it has to do with the charge? For example, this one had I think 230 miles vs the one yesterday was at 67 miles. I was hoping to get to test drive a Model S long range since it theoretically is faster than the 3 LR.

I like the S interior more, but like the 3 nimbleness (assuming the S isn't going to be as nimble...I haven't test driven it yet)