Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have an Audi R8, does a Tesla or some other EV make sense for my commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post here and complete EV dummy so forgive my need for education.

In short, I took a new job which will require me to commute around 100 miles round trip 2-3 times a week. 90 of those miles being highway with some traffic, 10 of them city.

I currently have a 2010 6-speed V10 Audi R8 and obviously I do not want to pile up the miles, especially if they aren't going to be enjoyable miles (mostly in traffic).

With that said, I've been really considering getting into a Tesla. One of our Audi guys got a P3D and gave me a ride in it. First time he floored it, I could not believe the acceleration. The seats were comfortable and just seemed like a comfortable car to sit an hour in to get to work on those commute days. With that said I had a few questions:

1. With what I want the car for, should I get a P3D or another model? (e.g. Just a LR or even a different model like an S?)
2. I typically pay cash for my cars, but I read in a thread people are getting 1.99% financing? Seems like the better decision is to get a loan and invest that money?
3. With what you know about my commute, do you think a Tesla makes sense or do you recommend another car (EV or ICE).
4. Anything else you think I should be aware of, please let me know.

Get the P. Preferably the stealth one, which is only 2k more than the LR.

with your commute pattern there’s no issue. You will charge at home every night, and leave in am with 250+ miles of range.

I have a few friends with Porsches who bought under similar circumstances. The Porsches now sit largely idle. The Tesla will ruin you for any other car.

1. With what I want the car for, should I get a P3D or another model? (e.g. Just a LR or even a different model like an S?)
2. I typically pay cash for my cars, but I read in a thread people are getting 1.99% financing? Seems like the better decision is to get a loan and invest that money?
3. With what you know about my commute, do you think a Tesla makes sense or do you recommend another car (EV or ICE).
1. A Model 3 SR would easily handle your commute. If you want more acceleration and features then get a more expensive version. Want a bigger car? Get an S.
2. Only you can make that decision based on your financial situation and preferences.
3. Your commute is pretty typical for the US. Any car would work. Teslas are obviously the finest EVs ever made, and only Tesla has the Supercharger network which makes long distance travel easy. ICE cars are archaic polluting technology and in 20 years almost no one will be buying them. No reason to buy one now considering the type of driving you do.

You need to take a long test drive (not a test ride) in a Model 3 and a Model S. You have to drive a Tesla for awhile to understand just how great it is. Then you need to own it to understand just how wonderful it is to “gas up” your car in your garage every night and never go to a filthy stinking gas station again!

Yes a used Tesla is less expensive than a new one. But I would not buy a very low VIN Model 3. They aren’t as well made as the current new ones.

Once you get a Tesla you will not want to drive your R8 (too slow, too noisy, too much expensive gas).

Reactions: liuping
Welcome to the forums !!!

Some questions to consider:

1) Have you thought about where you are going to charge the car - home, work, supercharger or other (Chargepoint, EVgo, etc..) ?

2) Would the Tesla be used strictly as a commuter ? Would you take any road trips in the Tesla ?

3) Would the Tesla be in addition to your R8, or are you planning on selling it ?

My response is predicated on the fact that you currently own one V E R R R Y sweet ride.

1. a PD3 or S ludi
2. either way
3. a Tesla will be great for your commute
4. nope

Still own the nearly 7 year old P85 that spent the first 5 years of her life with a 78 mile rt with an occasional 160 rt commute and have since added a LR RWD 3 (i am an old fart and just prefer RWD). Might you consider keeping
your Audi in the stable or donating it to the person responding to your post containing the best voice of reason:)?
(I have kept my 5 other ICE vehicles)

WRT a used Tesla, I would make certain it is Tesla certified and that the previous owner did not over charge the battery pack (90-100% SOC) daily. My P85 has only lost 8 miles of (stated) range in ~ 90,000 miles as I am a 70 -> 40 SOC dude during the week and then Veronica sits at 50% on the weekends because I am an extreme fusspot with OCD.

Good - luck !

First post here and complete EV dummy so forgive my need for education.

In short, I took a new job which will require me to commute around 100 miles round trip 2-3 times a week. 90 of those miles being highway with some traffic, 10 of them city.

I currently have a 2010 6-speed V10 Audi R8 and obviously I do not want to pile up the miles, especially if they aren't going to be enjoyable miles (mostly in traffic).

With that said, I've been really considering getting into a Tesla. One of our Audi guys got a P3D and gave me a ride in it. First time he floored it, I could not believe the acceleration. The seats were comfortable and just seemed like a comfortable car to sit an hour in to get to work on those commute days. With that said I had a few questions:

4. Anything else you think I should be aware of, please let me know.
This is exactly what I did! I had a 2007 V8 R8 as I was commuting for 9 months between Geneva and Milan which was a fantastic drive in the R8, but after that contract ended I decided to go EV and bought my P3D+. I have no regrets at all. I’ve tracked the car and drive it across country in 300km sprints without issue. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made but I do miss the sound of my R8 in the tunnels. Other than that I’ve been very happy!

You need to take a long test drive (not a test ride) in a Model 3 and a Model S. You have to drive a Tesla for awhile to understand just how great it is. Then you need to own it to understand just how wonderful it is to “gas up” your car in your garage every night and never go to a filthy stinking gas station again!

Yes a used Tesla is less expensive than a new one. But I would not buy a very low VIN Model 3. They aren’t as well made as the current new ones.

Once you get a Tesla you will not want to drive your R8 (too slow, too noisy, too much expensive gas).

I did a quick test ride with a Model 3 LR yesterday (they were supposed to give me the performance model smh) and I had to sign a waiver which was geared more towards a loaner car. Do you think if I am actually serious enough to buy one, they would allow me to have it for the day?

What is considered a low VIN?

Welcome to the forums !!!

Some questions to consider:

1) Have you thought about where you are going to charge the car - home, work, supercharger or other (Chargepoint, EVgo, etc..) ?

2) Would the Tesla be used strictly as a commuter ? Would you take any road trips in the Tesla ?

3) Would the Tesla be in addition to your R8, or are you planning on selling it ?

In response, it'll most likely be at home which I'll need to install a charger. Currently, new job property don't have any charging stations unfortunately. Quick follow-up questions, do I have to pay for charging at the charging stations? I still need to learn about charging costs and best practices to maintain the battery/range...which is obviously important for this car...but I would guess that I could do 2 days of commute before needing to charge it overnight?

My response is predicated on the fact that you currently own one V E R R R Y sweet ride.

1. a PD3 or S ludi
2. either way
3. a Tesla will be great for your commute
4. nope

Still own the nearly 7 year old P85 that spent the first 5 years of her life with a 78 mile rt with an occasional 160 rt commute and have since added a LR RWD 3 (i am an old fart and just prefer RWD). Might you consider keeping
your Audi in the stable or donating it to the person responding to your post containing the best voice of reason:)?
(I have kept my 5 other ICE vehicles)

WRT a used Tesla, I would make certain it is Tesla certified and that the previous owner did not over charge the battery pack (90-100% SOC) daily. My P85 has only lost 8 miles of (stated) range in ~ 90,000 miles as I am a 70 -> 40 SOC dude during the week and then Veronica sits at 50% on the weekends because I am an extreme fusspot with OCD.

Good - luck !

I will probably end up selling the R8 unfortunately because we only have a 2 car garage in a town home complex. So one of the cars will have to be on the street. I don't think I can kick my wife out of the garage haha.

This is exactly what I did! I had a 2007 V8 R8 as I was commuting for 9 months between Geneva and Milan which was a fantastic drive in the R8, but after that contract ended I decided to go EV and bought my P3D+. I have no regrets at all. I’ve tracked the car and drive it across country in 300km sprints without issue. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made but I do miss the sound of my R8 in the tunnels. Other than that I’ve been very happy!

Is there any difference between a P3D and P3D+?

Get the P. Preferably the stealth one, which is only 2k more than the LR.

with your commute pattern there’s no issue. You will charge at home every night, and leave in am with 250+ miles of range.

I have a few friends with Porsches who bought under similar circumstances. The Porsches now sit largely idle. The Tesla will ruin you for any other car.

A 200 mile commute won't be possible during winter without a LR battery.
Get the nonP for better range and still awesome performance.
Remember this is your commuter car

For such a long commute I’d highly recommend going for a Model S. Used prices are to high because of price drops and Raven upgrades.

Many stores will let you take a demo home.

I switched from Model 3 Performance to a Model X. No regrets.

The ride quality in the S is a lot smoother than a 3 or X. Our S is also a lot quieter than our 3 at highway speeds. Especially quieter and smoother if you opt for the standard 19” wheels instead of 21”.

My neighbor a few doors down had a 2008 r8 then got a newer one recently. His commute is less than 2 miles.