Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I got a dodgy battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently charged battery to 100%, car has been driven 49miles (short journeys with scheduled preheat for first journey of the day), used 81% of the battery (19kWh total) averaging 384Wh/mi.
All this equates to approx 23-24kWh used, what has happened to the other 31-32kWh, anyone got any theories? TIA

Recently charged battery to 100%, car has been driven 49miles (short journeys with scheduled preheat for first journey of the day), used 81% of the battery (19kWh total) averaging 384Wh/mi.
All this equates to approx 23-24kWh used, what has happened to the other 31-32kWh, anyone got any theories? TIA
Model? Age? battery Size? milage?
Maths suggests 60kwh LFP battery in an M3 or MY?

So you are saying the car is reporting 19kwh used at an average of 384wh/mi. This is not in the least bit out of spec for short journeys at this time of year.
But the car only reports usage while the car is moving so it is normal to use significant amounts on things like Sentry mode and at this time of year preheat.
So how many days ago did you charge it to 100% and how many times have you preheated it since then? and how long for? How many journeys have you done. Do you have sentry mode enabled?
If you provide this information we will be better placed to comment.

Model? Age? battery Size? milage?
Maths suggests 60kwh LFP battery in an M3 or MY?

So you are saying the car is reporting 19kwh used at an average of 384wh/mi. This is not in the least bit out of spec for short journeys at this time of year.
But the car only reports usage while the car is moving so it is normal to use significant amounts on things like Sentry mode and at this time of year preheat.
So how many days ago did you charge it to 100% and how many times have you preheated it since then? and how long for? How many journeys have you done. Do you have sentry mode enabled?
If you provide this information we will be better placed to comment.
Cheers Jason,
Car is a SR+ 21 Reg 55kWh battery.
I never use Sentry mode.
Journeys are generally 5 miles twice a day and 1.5 miles twice a day every day.
Preheating is on Auto Schedule (i think about 30mins)

Cheers Jason,
Car is a SR+ 21 Reg 55kWh battery.
I never use Sentry mode.
Preheating is on Auto Schedule (i think about 30mins)
There was a time that scheduled departure was only usable while charging i.e. so only if the car was plugged in. I assume that is no longer the case ( i never use it) . But either way 30minutes is way way longer than is needed for your journeys. It may be optimal if the car is plugged in and you are trying to maximise range for a long journey but for heating up the cabin for a short journey that can be done in 5-10 minutes even in cold weather. Pre heat is able to draw in the region of 7kw I believe so in the recent cold you could have been using as much as 3-4kwh with a 30 minute preheat.
If you want to use a scheduled preheat I recommend getting a third party app such as Tessie which is much more flexible.

You said 55kwh battery? is that usable capacity? if so then 81% of 55 = 44.55.
Car said it used 19KWh so looks like we are chasing about 25 missing kwh
you said you covered 49 miles and looks like your daily journeys are 13 miles so I am going to assume we are talking about 3days here so your preheat could
have cost you 9-12 kwh based on my estimate above so that would take us down to about 13kwh "missing"
Did you manually preheat for any period before the other trips? if so that could account for some.

The other thing to consider is even if you don't use sentry then sometimes something happens that prevents the car from sleeping. If the car does not sleep it will use 5kwh+ per day just running the computers. Do you use any 3rd party software that could be keeping the car awake? have you ever used your Tesla credentials to log into anything?

So at this stage I would say something like the above is more likely than a battery fault.
What I would recommend is next time you charge monitor the battery %
check it
before preheat
after pre heat
after driving
at the start of the next preheat/drive

That way you can see if the charge is being lost during driving, during preheat, between drives.
You may be able to get the answer from the energy graph in the car. If the car is losing charge between drives this will show up as shear drops on the graph where the battery drops but no miles are covered like this:

1705923671345.png

You will definitely see this for preheat but how much and whether you also get this when you don't preheat will tell you a lot

Last edited:

There’s the explanation. Several short trips not allowing ‘departure tax’ to be amortised over a longer trip.

Eg 100 x 1 mile trips will take significantly more energy than 1 x 100 mile trip. Even worse at extremes of temperature especially cold.

Last edited:
There’s the explanation. Several short trips not allowing ‘departure tax’ to be amortised over a longer trip.

Eg 100 x 1 mile trips will take significantly more energy than 1 x 100 mile trip.
Agreed, but most of that is accounted for in the 384wh/mi figure.

There is something else going on which I'd assume is via the preheating schedule if the car isn't being kept awake for some reason. Worth manually heating the cabin for only 5 to 10 mins before you depart rather than 30 mins.

Reactions: Jason71
The relatively easier way to double cheeck if you have an issue and the cold weather/short journey explanation is correct, tnad thats to go on a longer journey and see if the trip economy falls as you'd expect, but I recon what you're seeing is not unusual.

The good news is, all you're getting is a slightly higher consumption due to short trips as the battery needs to heat up the cabin, If you were in an ICE you'd also have poor fuel consumption but also be slowly destroying the engine as they work best when the lubricants are all up to temperature.

Agreed, but most of that is accounted for in the 384wh/mi figure.

There is something else going on which I'd assume is via the preheating schedule if the car isn't being kept awake for some reason. Worth manually heating the cabin for only 5 to 10 mins before you depart rather than 30 mins.
That graph I posted above was from the time my wife preheated the car using MAX before getting out to the work carpark and remembering she was in the other car that day :rolleyes: and then forgetting to switch off the preheat!
It was -4 degrees outside and when I discovered it the preheat had been on for 40+ minutes and it was 28 degrees in the car.
In those 40 minutes It had used 6-7kwh by my estimation.
So not saying scheduled departure would have been quite that power hungry, even in the recent comparably cold weather, but you can see that it is certainly possible to to use a LOT of energy that way in a very short space of time.
As a 2021 car I am assuming the Op would have a heat pump? I think they were introduced late 2020. Would be even worse without I would think

I'd suggest getting a third party app such as Teslamate (if you're technically able) or Teslafi (if you've a hankering for the 80s :))
You'd pretty much instantly see where your energy was going.

Just as a datapoint, I heated my car after it had been sitting for two weeks. It was -4C outside and took only 5 minutes to get up to 18C.
30 minutes is enough time to cook a lobster. :)

Just as a datapoint, I heated my car after it had been sitting for two weeks. It was -4C outside and took only 5 minutes to get up to 18C.
30 minutes is enough time to cook a lobster.

Possibly a false reading. The temperature sensor at least on the Model 3 is very close to the hot air inlet so it is highly influenced by incoming air. It is not necessarily the cabin temperature.

You can check this by warming the cabin up to a set temperature then turning it off and seeing how quick the cabin temperature drops back down. In TeslaFi you access the temperature log by pressing the space invader icon which is in the high score menu and looking for the light blue packman ghost. In TeslaMate, it’s in the small light grey text box on a light grey background ;)

Possibly a false reading. The temperature sensor at least on the Model 3 is very close to the hot air inlet so it is highly influenced by incoming air. It is not necessarily the cabin temperature.

Regardless, I've never needed to heat the car for more than a few minutes even on the coldest of days to get a comfortable temperature in the cabin.

You can check this by warming the cabin up to a set temperature then turning it off and seeing how quick the cabin temperature drops back down. In TeslaFi you access the temperature log by pressing the space invader icon which is in the high score menu and looking for the light blue packman ghost. In TeslaMate, it’s in the small light grey text box on a light grey background ;)
:)