Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Model X's build quality and reliability issues improved over time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the market for a Model X. I read and watched (YT) numerous reports / reviews about the car, from owners, from the start of when the Model X was released, up to until recently. Quite a few of them mentioned things about the car's build quality. The latest one is from mid-June 2017 (
) - that's only 3 months ago ATM - and that owner highlighted 10 issues.

Are these issues still existent with more recent Model X cars?

Another concern of mine is, what about reliability - I plan to make a several-thousand miles trip (US), which requires quite precise timing and doesn't allow for extended down-time. I'm worried that I'd have to deal with malfunctions of the car, just like others had reported (latest one:
) - sure, that particular MX has close to 100k miles, but others have also reported break-downs / major issues (or even minor ones, yet not less annoying on long trips, such as rattling).

I def. want to get a MX; perhaps, instead ordering a new one, I should instead get a certified pre-owned, maybe because it's been used and gone through maintenance a few times, that would increase the chance of reliability and def. have no chassis alignment issues and such?

Those of you who have experience with the MX - or know those who do - what's your advice / opinion?

Our MX was delivered to us two weeks ago today. Three days after delivery, we headed out to the SW. we have 3,000 plus miles on the clock with no issues, no breakdowns and not home yet. We have been surprised at the number of Xs versus Ss we have seen on this trip. We were at theSC in Tooele, UT, today and a women in an X with Oregon plates rolled in. She has no qualms about the X. We traded our S in for the X and are very pleased with the X. There is nothing like the X.

Our x has 4000 on it, only minor issues.
It’s the most amazing car I have owned.
It’s hard to believe that the solar panels on my roof provide most of the energy to propel the car. Worth the financial pain to own one of these vehicles.

Build quality is vastly improved! (Previously owned a 2014 MS) and the X is significantly more quiet and built better. The only rattle I have is the sun visors (I feel like some felt tape would fix this but it only happens on rough roads).

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
I have 6K miles on my X which was built in mid-July 2017, VIN 54XXX. I've had no serious issues, just some very minor things which are going to be taken care of this week.

Is it perfect? No, nor is any other car. But it is in my opinion unquestionably the most amazing production vehicle ever built and I love driving it! It is a privilege to be able to own such an incredible car. Last week I was in Canada and had to rent a car for a week, a VW Tiguan "Wolfsburg Edition". First time I have driven an ICE in three years. Of course it costs about 30% of an X100D with options, but driving it was an exercise in frustration.

May 2017 delivery, VIN 46XXX. A few minor issues (scratch on the spoiler and tailgate glass) upon delivery that SC fixed and the creaking noise from the FWD that keeps coming back. A major issue for me was the tailgate was misaligned after 3 months of ownership and SC had it for about 2 weeks to fix it. Also, my auto present door doesn't work when walking from the front of the car. It is suppose to open a few inches and when you pass the door it suppose to open fully but mine just stays open for a few inches. I have SC pulled the logs and they are looking into if it's firmware or sensors having issues.

Yes, build quality and problems have dramatically improved. Tesla publicly stated that new owners in (I think) Feb of 2017 were reporting barely 8% of the problems being reported by new owners just after launch of the model a year prior. That's a very big difference.

I took delivery of my X on 3/31/17. Initially just one gripe at delivery. During the first six months, had several things start to rattle and squeak and make noise. Waited until I had a few things to list, then took it into service and got the car back a week later, better than new. They even did extra stuff like swap out the falcon-wing door opening switches for the newer button design, just to make my car better.

My personal bottom line: whatever goes wrong with your Tesla, they'll fix it and take care of you and all will be good. That is NOT the treatment I got from BMW, Porsche, or any other premium brand I know. Can't ask for anything more.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Build quality is vastly improved! (Previously owned a 2014 MS) and the X is significantly more quiet and built better. The only rattle I have is the sun visors (I feel like some felt tape would fix this but it only happens on rough roads).

Can confirm, just took delivery last week of a Model X 100D and the sun visor started rattling on rough roads. Any remedies?