Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have MYLR, thinking about buying MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 19 X LR raven and sold my 21 MYP. Like yesterday

If you can get a 22+ X I would say it's a no brainer. For me, the driving factor for my purchase was value. The X was 45k with only 48k miles and came with FSD and basically all upgrades available. Even extended service agreement.

As far as the tech goes, pre-22 X interior tech is sub par compared to Y. It doesn't have phone key, blinker cams, sentry remote camera viewing. The screen is less responsive and colors are more dull even on the upgraded mcu.

But it has huge wins over the Y too. The ride quality is much better, the adaptive suspension on mine is nice, the frunk is much bigger, so is the sub trunk. I have the 7 seat interior and if you fold the third row the storage to me is on par with the Y. If you fold both back rows it's way more. The doors so far are super cool, I immediately disabled the auto presenting driver door though lol. Surprisingly it's actually more efficient too. But this may be because I went from performance to long range. If you have kids the X is the way imo but there are some compromises if you get an older one. Oh, one huge benefit is there is no interior cam pointed at my face. The new AP update in the Y sucks.

I'm still evaluating cause I just got it but I'm happy with my switch. 45k for a 100k (originally) vehicle feels like a steal lol

If you do more highway driving and longer road trips, go with the MX - it is more comfortable in all aspects and its added range can make a difference compared to the MYLR for certain trips.

City driving and tight parking spots, go with the MY as it is much easier to maneuver in confined areas (it is difficult to see the front corners of the MX).
Excellent feedback! Thank you

I have both and both are 2023 models. In my experience, here are the pros and cons of each:

Model Y Pros:
  • Model Y is quieter
  • Sharper handling and maneuverability
  • More conventional design
  • Lovely glass roof
  • Smaller, more comfortable steering wheel
  • Stalks (if you prefer them)
  • $20,000 less expensive if cost is a concern
  • Smaller, but not by much in practical terms. Enough to make a difference in the city
  • This is subjective, but I think it offers more value and is very practical. Great daily commuter.
  • No falcon wing doors
  • More frequent software updates in my subjective opinion. My X gets them later and it just feels like Tesla clearly prioritizes its bigger fleet
Model Y Cons:
  • No yoke option, if that’s your thing
  • Smaller cabin
  • Everything on single display (unless you prefer this simpler approach. I do. Then it’s a bit of a pro)
  • Less “luxurious” but than again the X isn’t exactly a luxury car
  • No ventilated seats
  • That lovely glass roof can also make it about hot in the summer
  • No adoptive suspension
  • No falcon wing doors 😂
  • No rear display
  • Less storage

Model X Pros:
  • Bigger
  • Dual displays in front (larger main display as well)
  • Rear display
  • Arguably nicer interior
  • Unique design with falcon wing doors
  • Adoptive suspension
  • Slightly more range
  • Technically faster charge rate but it doesn’t translate into real world difference
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Slightly better performance, at least on paper
  • Yoke steering if you like it. I love mine.
  • Build a bit better in terms of design, not build quality. Example being plastic trim on the inside or the trunk, instead of just metal. Better interior materials, like real wood trim, suede liners, etc.
  • A slightly more “premium” experience like auto presenting doors (which can also be a con!)
  • You can be a gentlemen by opening the door without having to walk around the car 👍
  • Slightly better/longer warranty terms for the battery pack and drive train
  • You can play Steam games!
Model X Cons:
  • $20,000 more
  • Falcon wing doors (they are truly a love/hate relationship)
  • Less efficient and heavier, thus requiring a larger battery pack. This is why in practice the faster charging rate really isn’t noticeable. You get similar range and have a bigger battery to juice up
  • Less “modern” design. Don’t get me wrong. It’s still great but compared to Model Y some things feel slightly “last gen.”
  • Wind noise and road noise. It’s just louder. All those lovely seals around the falcon doors translate to more wind noise, in my experience
If I think of anything else, I’ll update the list.

Which one would I buy again? That’s a hard question. I really like both. I think the Model Y with the new Ultra Red paint and white interior, upgraded wheels, and tow package is really sharp and hard to beat. I’d go for the long range and acceleration boost you can get with referral or loyalty credit if you already have a Tesla. At least it was an option for 9,500 points when I got mine.

In the end, both are great cars!

• Informative
Reactions: El joe and RNHurt
I have both and both are 2023 models. In my experience, here are the pros and cons of each:

Model Y Pros:
  • Model Y is quieter
  • Sharper handling and maneuverability
  • More conventional design
  • Lovely glass roof
  • Smaller, more comfortable steering wheel
  • Stalks (if you prefer them)
  • $20,000 less expensive if cost is a concern
  • Smaller, but not by much in practical terms. Enough to make a difference in the city
  • This is subjective, but I think it offers more value and is very practical. Great daily commuter.
  • No falcon wing doors
  • More frequent software updates in my subjective opinion. My X gets them later and it just feels like Tesla clearly prioritizes its bigger fleet
Model Y Cons:
  • No yoke option, if that’s your thing
  • Smaller cabin
  • Everything on single display (unless you prefer this simpler approach. I do. Then it’s a bit of a pro)
  • Less “luxurious” but than again the X isn’t exactly a luxury car
  • No ventilated seats
  • That lovely glass roof can also make it about hot in the summer
  • No adoptive suspension
  • No falcon wing doors 😂
  • No rear display
  • Less storage

Model X Pros:
  • Bigger
  • Dual displays in front (larger main display as well)
  • Rear display
  • Arguably nicer interior
  • Unique design with falcon wing doors
  • Adoptive suspension
  • Slightly more range
  • Technically faster charge rate but it doesn’t translate into real world difference
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Slightly better performance, at least on paper
  • Yoke steering if you like it. I love mine.
  • Build a bit better in terms of design, not build quality. Example being plastic trim on the inside or the trunk, instead of just metal. Better interior materials, like real wood trim, suede liners, etc.
  • A slightly more “premium” experience like auto presenting doors (which can also be a con!)
  • You can be a gentlemen by opening the door without having to walk around the car 👍
  • Slightly better/longer warranty terms for the battery pack and drive train
  • You can play Steam games!
Model X Cons:
  • $20,000 more
  • Falcon wing doors (they are truly a love/hate relationship)
  • Less efficient and heavier, thus requiring a larger battery pack. This is why in practice the faster charging rate really isn’t noticeable. You get similar range and have a bigger battery to juice up
  • Less “modern” design. Don’t get me wrong. It’s still great but compared to Model Y some things feel slightly “last gen.”
  • Wind noise and road noise. It’s just louder. All those lovely seals around the falcon doors translate to more wind noise, in my experience
If I think of anything else, I’ll update the list.

Which one would I buy again? That’s a hard question. I really like both. I think the Model Y with the new Ultra Red paint and white interior, upgraded wheels, and tow package is really sharp and hard to beat. I’d go for the long range and acceleration boost you can get with referral or loyalty credit if you already have a Tesla. At least it was an option for 9,500 points when I got mine.

In the end, both are great cars!
Thank you for informative thoughts!

Reactions: RNHurt