Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Tesla's new video recording rules changed your mind about signing up for FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I got bumped out of FSD last Friday, when the camera noticed I wasn’t paying attention. When I came to a full stop and put my car in Park and started driving again FSD was back.

FWIW I got bumped out of FSD last Friday, when the camera noticed I wasn’t paying attention. When I came to a full stop and put my car in Park and started driving again FSD was back.
That's just regular autopilot jail. It's a feature of the production system too, though now it involves more reliance on the cabin camera and not merely the wheel nags.

Current understanding is that after three of those events, you'll be ejected from the beta program entirely (though data isn't clear, and some people seem to get warnings about the process where others don't). It's not currently known when people excluded like this will be allowed back in. Maybe it just puts you back at the end of the Safety Score line, maybe it's more like a moderator ban requiring human attention.

I've read that Tesla is now requiring you to consent to their storing the in car video along with your VIN number. Tesla is doing it to limit their legal jeopardy but it will increase the legal jeopardy of the driver. In the case of an accident there will be video of the Tesla driver and not the other vehicles driver so even if both driver's did something stupid there will only be evidence against the Tesla driver.

I haven't received FSD Beta yet, I'm at 98, but I'm thinking that it isn't worth the added legal risk vs no practical benefit from FSD. I'm interested in FSD from a scientific standpoint, I only bought it so that I could watch their progress. But until they reach at least Level 4 there is no value to FSD, it's more work monitoring a Level 2 system than just driving the car yourself.

No need to overthink this. You'll love it.

No need to overthink this. You'll love it.
You were joking when you said I would love it right? I have FSD Beta now, it's terrifying, I can't use it for more than a minute before disengaging. It creeps through intersections at two miles an hour while the other drivers honk at you, but that's not the scary thing. When there is a red light coming up with cars stopped waiting for it FSD does nothing to slow the car, maybe it will put the brakes on at the last second but I'm not willing to take that chance. I suspect that the camera's can't see far enough to detect an upcoming light, they certainly don't show the lights until you are almost at the intersection and the car doesn't respond to them as any sane driver would.

@bjrosan I have no idea why, but our experiences are totally different. Maybe as simple AS KEEPING YOUR CAMERAS REALLY CLEAN. Who knows. I use FSD 10.8.1 all the time and I swear on my leftovers that it does none of what you describe. Granted, it's taken its time at some intersections in the past, but not like you describe, and with 10.8.1 in assertive mode it's just way way more humanlike.

Now, it does take getting into a different way of operating. And do keep those cameras sparkly. I don't hesitate to switch modes, like changing gears, instead of staying in one mode and dreading something scary. Like situations where I can do better, say driving desperately crazy fast, late to an appointment, something I avoid as much as possible. Or unusual errors like the one takeover tonight when it took me to the back loading dock of a store instead of the front parking area. If it's not good for you, don't use it. But you know, if they told me this is all you get for now, I wouldn't bitch. It's been that good. Cross my heart, and no I'm not legally blind.

Reactions: WhiteWi