Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Tesla and other EV Related Resources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought this was interesting. With the high price of electricity in Hawaii, powering an electric car is not necessarily cheaper than ICE, based on egallon.

I don't like their calculations for Hawaii. I think gas is more like $4.20 here. Also, this should be the eGallon $/gal for Tesla's in Hawaii: (30 mil/gal) * (.300 kWh/mi) * (HECO $0.334/kWh) = $3.01/eGal -- well under $4.20, but not so hot due to our 33.4 cents per kWh on Oahu.

Note: I went high with 30 mi/gal for a comparable ride in my calculations. If you went with something like 25 mi/gal instead, it would be: $2.50/eGal. If you then change that to 270 W/mi instead of 300 W/mi, and it would then be: $2.25/eGal for us here.

VIN Configuration Formula

Here's something interesting. What each character of your VIN represents.

5YJ Digits 1-3, WMI: 5YJ = Tesla
S Digit 4, Line/Series: S = Model S
A Digit 5, Body Type: A = 5 Door Hatchback LHD RWD
1 Digit 6, Restraint System: 1 = Manual Type 2 USA Seat Belts, Dual Front Airbags, Front/Rear Side Airbags, Knee Airbags

A Digit 7, Charger Type:
A = 10kw Charger
B = 20kw Charger
C = 10kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
D = 20kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge

G Digit 8, Motor/Drive Unit & Battery Type:
C = Base A/C Motor, Tier 2 Battery (31-40kWh)
G = Base A/C Motor, Tier 4 Battery (51-60 kWh)
N = Base A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)
P = Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)

X Digit 9, Check Digit: Variable

D Digit 10, Model Year:
C = 2012,
D = 2013

F Digit 11, Manufacture:
F = Fremont, CA (FRE)
P = Palo Alto, CA (PAO)

P Digit 12, Production Series:
A = Alpha Prototype
B = Beta Prototype
R = Release Candidate Vehicle
P = Production Vehicle
S = Signature Series Vehicle
F = Founder Series Vehicle

Digits 13-17, Production Sequence

Here's something interesting. What each character of your VIN represents.

5YJ Digits 1-3, WMI: 5YJ = Tesla
S Digit 4, Line/Series: S = Model S
A Digit 5, Body Type: A = 5 Door Hatchback LHD RWD
1 Digit 6, Restraint System: 1 = Manual Type 2 USA Seat Belts, Dual Front Airbags, Front/Rear Side Airbags, Knee Airbags

A Digit 7, Charger Type:
A = 10kw Charger
B = 20kw Charger
C = 10kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
D = 20kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge

G Digit 8, Motor/Drive Unit & Battery Type:
C = Base A/C Motor, Tier 2 Battery (31-40kWh)
G = Base A/C Motor, Tier 4 Battery (51-60 kWh)
N = Base A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)
P = Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)

X Digit 9, Check Digit: Variable

D Digit 10, Model Year:
C = 2012,
D = 2013

F Digit 11, Manufacture:
F = Fremont, CA (FRE)
P = Palo Alto, CA (PAO)

P Digit 12, Production Series:
A = Alpha Prototype
B = Beta Prototype
R = Release Candidate Vehicle
P = Production Vehicle
S = Signature Series Vehicle
F = Founder Series Vehicle

Digits 13-17, Production Sequence

Wow. After matching my MS VIN, I looked up the source. Thanks for this.

By the way, do you know where to find a list of voice commands for the MS?

Last edited:
@Jeff, Yes, I think so. I was reading on TM a week or so ago that the car actually has two SIMs in it. One for Tesla's use for accessing the car for downloads and their own controls. And another for our 3G service. But yes, I believe all have Internet/browser access and for free until Tesla declares we will have to start paying. Rumor has it that when they turn on 4G we will be stuck with the celluar-data bill. They simply have not announced the plans yet.

@drtko147, I've not seen a list per se. I have heard of only like three voice commands are accepted. One has to do with navigation, and is "Navigate.(to...some place " Two having to do with music, but off the top of my head I can only remember one "Play...something"

@Jeff, Yes, I think so. I was reading on TM a week or so ago that the car actually has two SIMs in it. One for Tesla's use for accessing the car for downloads and their own controls. And another for our 3G service. But yes, I believe all have Internet/browser access and for free until Tesla declares we will have to start paying. Rumor has it that when they turn on 4G we will be stuck with the celluar-data bill. They simply have not announced the plans yet.

@drtko14, I've not seen a list per se. I have heard of only like three voice commands are accepted. One has to do with navigation, and is "Navigate.(to...some place " Two having to do with music, but off the top of my head I can only remember one "Play...something"

Elon mentioned during the Teslive keynote that one of the updates that's coming "soon" is wifi tethering your phone to the car, so that you can take advantage of your 4G signal on your phone to power the car's internet connection. Based on this, I would think that the existing hardware cannot support 4G. He also mentioned a few other updates are coming, including valet mode. Definitely watch the video if you haven't already - it's worth hearing him speak.

What about www.teslamotors.com on the browser?
Write down the error message you see, Ownership is going to need that.
What about Slacker? And Tunein Radio, do they work? Because they are using Internet also.
I know you can't drive over to the SC, so I would call Ownership and talk to them.

- - - Updated - - -

dr, What Elon was talking about is actually two separate features. They are going to enable wifi. And the Wifi will allow you to connect the car to a home router or make at a Starbuck or McDonalds from the parking lot.
They are also enabling tethering. Tethering is connect something, to a cellular data source, such as a cell phone's data plan.
Those are two different things. Wifi is a protocol that will allow a connect to a router. Tethering is connecting to a cell phone.
Does that help?

I thought this was interesting. With the high price of electricity in Hawaii, powering an electric car is not necessarily cheaper than ICE, based on egallon.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought that this article was interesting for those who have PV on their homes.

This is a belated response, but the site and article were interesting. I save a lot of money with the Tesla. I spent at least $400/mo. on gas with my other car, and that was driving around 500 miles/month. In the one month I've had the Tesla, I drove around 1100 miles and it only cost $100 in electricity. Better yet, because I have PV, which produces anywhere between $100-150/mo. in excess electricity (I've been banking since March), I won't pay anything this year to charge the car. Yet another thing to love about the car.

This is a belated response, but the site and article were interesting. I save a lot of money with the Tesla. I spent at least $400/mo. on gas with my other car, and that was driving around 500 miles/month. In the one month I've had the Tesla, I drove around 1100 miles and it only cost $100 in electricity. Better yet, because I have PV, which produces anywhere between $100-150/mo. in excess electricity (I've been banking since March), I won't pay anything this year to charge the car. Yet another thing to love about the car.

Similarly here ... :love:

Akikiki, Thank you again for your help. We got it going. It seems the problem was we were not tapping the screen hard enough. We had the Mercedes for five years and never figured out how half the stuff works. I guess we are just lazy and poisoned with protection.

What about www.teslamotors.com on the browser?
Write down the error message you see, Ownership is going to need that.
What about Slacker? And Tunein Radio, do they work? Because they are using Internet also.
I know you can't drive over to the SC, so I would call Ownership and talk to them.

- - - Updated - - -

dr, What Elon was talking about is actually two separate features. They are going to enable wifi. And the Wifi will allow you to connect the car to a home router or make at a Starbuck or McDonalds from the parking lot.
They are also enabling tethering. Tethering is connect something, to a cellular data source, such as a cell phone's data plan.
Those are two different things. Wifi is a protocol that will allow a connect to a router. Tethering is connecting to a cell phone.
Does that help?

Thanks. I'll try another USB drive and make sure it is formatted correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI. I got an email from Chris Tanaka after I sent them the suggestion to look into why big parking lots don't follow the law regarding charging stations. He wanted to interview me. However, I had to let him know that I am out of town.

Thanks. I'll try another USB drive and make sure it is formatted correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI. I got an email from Chris Tanaka after I sent them the suggestion to look into why big parking lots don't follow the law regarding charging stations. He wanted to interview me. However, I had to let him know that I am out of town.

Awesome - perhaps you can squeeze in a comment that not all EVs suffer from range anxiety! I too would like to see the law enforced a little better. My office building is allegedly working on getting a charging station installed - "It's out to bid" but it's been that way for six months.

Perhaps Rep. Fred Hemmings would be a good source to point Chris to, since I think it was mentioned here somewhere that he has an EV and would probably have some thoughts on the matter. The easier you make it for a reporter to write a story, the more likely it will get air/print time.