Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jkam:
Act 168 says you get 2.5 hrs of free parking. Says nothing about how long you can charge if you pay for the extra time. dsmith should challenge that. Here's the act:
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2012/bills/GM1271_.PDF

+1 to this. The act which revised the parking rules for EVs did not put in any limitations to how long you could be charging at a government EVSE, just how long that an EV gets exempted parking. I think it's totally BS and Diamond is making up its own rules. Having said this, I also don't think that public charging infrastructure was ever meant to be a substitute for home charging as well, with all due respect, dsmith.

LOL. Since people have already done the research for me, which one of you is going to write a letter to Diamond informing them that their policy is erroneous and not backed by the law?

Interestingly I met a couple that was hanging out by my car after I got done at the bank. They are ordering a 40kWh S and they live in Hawaiki Tower. They don't have an outlet in their garage so they plan on charging it at Ala Moana over night. I told them that the condo association can't deny them installation of an outlet, but I understand that it takes some effort to work with condo AOAOs to get it accomplished. Anyway, it seems like there is going to be more competition for those Ala Moana charging stations. And I agree those stations are not meant to be a replacement for a charging solution at your residence. If people continue to view public charging stations as their permanent charging solution there will be legislation/laws enacted to take care of the problem.

+1 to this. The act which revised the parking rules for EVs did not put in any limitations to how long you could be charging at a government EVSE, just how long that an EV gets exempted parking. I think it's totally BS and Diamond is making up its own rules. Having said this, I also don't think that public charging infrastructure was ever meant to be a substitute for home charging as well, with all due respect, dsmith.

Thanks for everyone looking up the statue. I think that they (Diamond Parking service) just likes to seem important, by referencing HI statues.
Yes, spleen, public charging should not be a substitue for home charging. I am still waiting on SolarCity to get the electrical installation permit from the city approved. it has already been sent back once for revision. If the city makes me wait for my charger I have no problem using theirs.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. Since people have already done the research for me, which one of you is going to write a letter to Diamond informing them that their policy is erroneous and not backed by the law?

Interestingly I met a couple that was hanging out by my car after I got done at the bank. They are ordering a 40kWh S and they live in Hawaiki Tower. They don't have an outlet in their garage so they plan on charging it at Ala Moana over night. I told them that the condo association can't deny them installation of an outlet, but I understand that it takes some effort to work with condo AOAOs to get it accomplished. Anyway, it seems like there is going to be more competition for those Ala Moana charging stations. And I agree those stations are not meant to be a replacement for a charging solution at your residence. If people continue to view public charging stations as their permanent charging solution there will be legislation/laws enacted to take care of the problem.

overnight charging at ala moana or any public charger is probably not a wise decision. (doesn't Ala Moana put chains up on the enterance at night?) an expensive, unattended vehicle and many criminals that work mostly at night....

While I am stuck with using a public charger until my 14-50 plug gets installed I would not park overnight without sleeping in my car.

I worked with my condo board to get a basic EV policy signed off while I was working with Solar City on the actual installation plans. I though the Condo Board was going to be the hardest obsticle.
The Policy turned out to be the relitively easy part.

Here is what I have done so far (with coordination/coorperation with my condo) to get my plug installed.
1. I Attended multiple HOA Board meetings to ensure EV charging was addresssed. Brought a 14-50 plug and socket to show the board what was actually being installed.
2. I Meet with SolarCity and the Condo Maintenance supervisor to view the site and discuss instllation options.
3. (SolarCity) Moniitor the electrical load over a 48 hour period to determine the most acceptable connection point for a 14-50 plug.
Determined that the equipment needed would be:
150 feet of conduit
150 feet wire with a guage suitable for that long a run
Electrical connection box
Commercial grade meter
NIMA 14-50 Outlet
4. (SolarCity) apply for an electrical installation permit with the city with plans.
5. (City) rejected plans with feedback.
6. (SolarCity) resubmit application with modified plans.
7. Wait for the City to approve revised plans....
8. (SolarCity) Install approved equipment (Time Estimate < 4 hours)
9. Feedback to Condo Board with policy update suggestions.

PS if anyone else goes with SolarCity just mention D. Smith sent you so I can get $credit for referencing someone...:biggrin:

Last edited:
All, The rules regarding free parking and free charging and where its free are a little confusing particularly when it comes to gov't property. I wrote Kokua Line a couple of weeks ago and ask them what the rules are at the airport and HOV. And June Watanabe wrote me back in email instead of putting it in the paper. Below is her reply.

What's really useful from her reply is the link to the Hawaii EV Ready Program website. On it, on the first page is a link to the
Hawaii EV Ready Guidebook. Its detailed and near the back has a section dedicated to the Hawaii Acts and Revised Statues that cover parking, charging, condo installation of outlet and more stuff.

Jkam is correct about condo assn's not being permitted to deny installation. The section on R.S. explains that. But I don't see how it provides what to do when two condo owners each buy a EV and want to use the same outlet. Does the owner that fought and installed it own it? What if the condo assn doesn't allow assigned parking spaces? Does this force the assn to let one owner have an assigned space because they installed the outlet for their use? Does the owner need to put the charging handle in a lock box so others can't help them selves to the owner's electricity? Condo owner has a lot to consider that townhouse or home owners don't have to contend with.

I think I am going to print out the guidebook, slip it into a 3-ring binder, highlight the stuff I need so I can show it to the businesses like Diamond, and the LEO when someone applies their rule to what is covered by the Revised Statues.

Here's June's email reply.
Yes. Free parking in state and county parking garages and up to 2.5 hours in metered stalls. Also allowed to drive in HOV lanes with driver only. Check the state Energy Office website for more information:
http://energy.hawaii.gov/programs/transportation-on-the-move/ev-ready-program

By the way. I enjoy all the comments that owners bring to this forum. These ideas and views are great info for all of us.
THANK YOU.

All, The rules regarding free parking and free charging and where its free are a little confusing particularly when it comes to gov't property. I wrote Kokua Line a couple of weeks ago and ask them what the rules are at the airport and HOV. And June Watanabe wrote me back in email instead of putting it in the paper. Below is her reply.

What's really useful from her reply is the link to the Hawaii EV Ready Program website. On it, on the first page is a link to the
Hawaii EV Ready Guidebook. Its detailed and near the back has a section dedicated to the Hawaii Acts and Revised Statues that cover parking, charging, condo installation of outlet and more stuff.

Jkam is correct about condo assn's not being permitted to deny installation. The section on R.S. explains that. But I don't see how it provides what to do when two condo owners each buy a EV and want to use the same outlet. Does the owner that fought and installed it own it? What if the condo assn doesn't allow assigned parking spaces? Does this force the assn to let one owner have an assigned space because they installed the outlet for their use? Does the owner need to put the charging handle in a lock box so others can't help them selves to the owner's electricity? Condo owner has a lot to consider that townhouse or home owners don't have to contend with.

I think I am going to print out the guidebook, slip it into a 3-ring binder, highlight the stuff I need so I can show it to the businesses like Diamond, and the LEO when someone applies their rule to what is covered by the Revised Statues.

Here's June's email reply.
Yes. Free parking in state and county parking garages and up to 2.5 hours in metered stalls. Also allowed to drive in HOV lanes with driver only. Check the state Energy Office website for more information:
http://energy.hawaii.gov/programs/transportation-on-the-move/ev-ready-program

By the way. I enjoy all the comments that owners bring to this forum. These ideas and views are great info for all of us.
THANK YOU.

Good points. When I spoke with my HOA, some had some similar experiences at other condos that they offered as examples.
in one their condo was allowed to enclose their lanai, but there were other zoning laws, etc. that passed after their HOA decision to allow it. Those that did not enclose their Lanai before that date were denied. (or something like that)

with EVs the state law says that the owner can not be denied but must "comply with HOA policy".
in my case I was allowed to install a 14-50 outlet in accordance with my HOA policy (at my expense, not the HOA).
The next 3 people wanting to do so may be able to, but the 4th person requesting installation could be denied (legally)
one obvious reason for this is that the electrical system of the building may not support more load on that electrical circuit than presently approved and installed.
There may be more reasons like the building is in a flood area and HI law restricting installation would kick in, but I think you get the idea.

In the case of a common area charger for a condo without assigned parking, the HOA would dictate the policy for that regarding usage limits availability for non EV vehicles, etc...
the usage by individual EV owners could be done like some of the public chargers that require an RF tag be swiped to turn on and monitor that individual's usage.

A quick search of the chargpoint, betterplace or another charger group web site may show that some HOAs contract out thier chargers for this reason.

Also allowed to drive in HOV lanes with driver only.
Hard to drive in the HOV lane without a driver, but I guess Google is working on that.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone looking up the statue. I think that they (Diamond Parking service) just likes to seem important, by referencing HI statues.
Yes, spleen, public charging should not be a substitue for home charging. I am still waiting on SolarCity to get the electrical installation permit from the city approved. it has already been sent back once for revision. If the city makes me wait for my charger I have no problem using theirs

That seems reasonable, hopefully the 14-50 outlet install happens soon. Must be a pain fighting other people for the charger all the time. :)

Diamond Parking must think that they are in California, where you are only allowed to park in a EV stall with an EV charger only when actively charging. Dsmith, since you are the only one so far that got that incorrect notice placed on your car, you are the only one that can speak up without relying on hearsay. An easy way to do so is to send an e-mail to [email protected]. If June Watanabe does publish your complaint, that should embarrass Diamond Parking and hopefully prevent them from fabricating their own legislation. We appreciate all of the help that you have given us. Sorry to keep asking you for more.

Diamond Parking must think that they are in California, where you are only allowed to park in a EV stall with an EV charger only when actively charging. Dsmith, since you are the only one so far that got that incorrect notice placed on your car, you are the only one that can speak up without relying on hearsay. An easy way to do so is to send an e-mail to [email protected]. If June Watanabe does publish your complaint, that should embarrass Diamond Parking and hopefully prevent them from fabricating their own legislation. We appreciate all of the help that you have given us. Sorry to keep asking you for more.

I have charged there many times with no issues and have had pleasant conversations with some of the parking staff. Next time I charge there I plan to track one of them down and get their side of the issue. It may just be a case of miss information that they have been given. I should at least try to educate them, failing that, it can be escalated to a public forum (TMC is private, isn't it?:eek:)

dsmith - it just occurred to me after re-reading the notice that you got from Diamond. Shouldn't the J1772 adapter still have been attached to your car when they unplugged you? I thought the Model S locked the adapter in place while the car was locked.

dsmith - it just occurred to me after re-reading the notice that you got from Diamond. Shouldn't the J1772 adapter still have been attached to your car when they unplugged you? I thought the Model S locked the adapter in place while the car was locked.

Taht's what I thought also. There have been times when I tried to remove it and it was locked in place.
I have gone back to the J1772 threads and re-read them all.
What they said
the J1772 is locked to the adapter and the adapter is locked to the car while charging.
they even demonstated this with videos.
What they failed to mention (or realize) is that once charging is complete the charger and adapter can be pulled out.
I tried this yesterday. I approached my car without being sensed. I was able to remove it without any trouble.
I think I will have to do some more tests to figure out when it is locked and when it is not.
I have been trying to think of a way for someone to unplug me and allow me to know where the adapter was if they did not put it back in the charging port.
Some kind of bag/sling that would be obvious for them to put the adapter in. I have already put some hook side velcro on it to prevent it from rolling arround in the trunk,
so a lanyard wth loop velcro strung into the trunk may be a solution.

Last edited:
Taht's what I thought also. There have been times when I tried to remove it and it was locked in place.
I have gone back to the J1772 threads and re-read them all.
What they said
the J1772 is locked to the adapter and the adapter is locked to the car while charging.
they even demonstated this with videos.
What they failed to mention (or realize) is that once charging is complete the charger and adapter can be pulled out..

Good to know! Like you said, it does leave open the problem of what to do with the adapter if someone unplugs you. (frown). Might also be worthwhile putting a sticker on it with your name and cell # in case it gets misplaced and somebody finds it later.

Good to know! Like you said, it does leave open the problem of what to do with the adapter if someone unplugs you. (frown). Might also be worthwhile putting a sticker on it with your name and cell # in case it gets misplaced and somebody finds it later.

This concerns me, as I'm sure there will be people out there who take this just as a memento or to be a punk. How many air valve stems and screw on short antennas I had to go through with my S2000 because of thoughtless people :mad:
This adapter is probably much pricier to replace than those things too.

dpodoll! After action report please! LOL! It's the only thing keeping me going while waiting for mine to get here in a couple of weeks :biggrin:

Smooth flawless delivery. Barry (our service center manager) is first class all the way. We had watched the walk through videos and taken a couple of test drives, so we were out of there and on the road quickly.

First day - stopped at a light in Eva...guy pulls beside and wants me to lower the window...he asks "What kind of car is that"...I reply "Tesla Model S"...He says " Do they bring those into the US?"...My replay "They make them in California"...He says "Where have I heard Tesla before?"...Reply "might have been the roadster. They have been selling those for a couple of years"...light changes... couldn't make out his next comment. I doubt that he even realized it was an EV.

Is there room on this thread for honorary Hawaii Tesla owners? :smile: My wife is a Hawaii expat that grew up in Wahiawa. Currently we're in San Jose, but with no family here, we'll probably end up back on the island in a few years (at least that's our plan), so at least our two kids can be close to the rest of their family.

Anyway, we just picked up our P85 at the factory this past Saturday, and it's been an awesome experience getting the Tesla. At least I'll get lots of chances to test out the performance part while we're here in California. I know that once it lands in Hawaii, between the traffic, slow drivers, and 55 MPH speed limit, it won't be as easy to stretch the cars legs.

Now I just need to find a job in Hawaii that'll pay me enough to make a comparable living as I do here in Cali, which seems to be difficult given my line of work.

Ok, back to trolling TMC.

Smooth flawless delivery. Barry (our service center manager) is first class all the way. We had watched the walk through videos and taken a couple of test drives, so we were out of there and on the road quickly.

Congrats!! It's wonderful to know that the service center is up and running so quickly!
dpodoll, did the service center take care of the registration of your vehicle? Despite all the great info that everyone has shared regarding the registration process, I'm hoping the service center will do all of the leg work. Wonder if that's too much to expect....

- - - Updated - - -

Is there room on this thread for honorary Hawaii Tesla owners? :smile: My wife is a Hawaii expat that grew up in Wahiawa. Currently we're in San Jose, but with no family here, we'll probably end up back on the island in a few years (at least that's our plan), so at least our two kids can be close to the rest of their family.

Anyway, we just picked up our P85 at the factory this past Saturday, and it's been an awesome experience getting the Tesla. At least I'll get lots of chances to test out the performance part while we're here in California. I know that once it lands in Hawaii, between the traffic, slow drivers, and 55 MPH speed limit, it won't be as easy to stretch the cars legs.

Now I just need to find a job in Hawaii that'll pay me enough to make a comparable living as I do here in Cali, which seems to be difficult given my line of work.

Welcome to TMC - Hawaii! I think we need more than 1 thread dedicated to Hawaii. Kudos to all the contributors on this thread. Invaluable info!

Welcome, welcome! Hope you and your wife manage to make it back!

Status
Not open for further replies.