Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats!! It's wonderful to know that the service center is up and running so quickly!
I spoke to barry this weekend and he said that the service center is not officially open yet. they are just doing delivery preps. Still lots of work to get the space outfitted/configured as a functioning service center.
That said. he took the time to fix a piece of trim for me that was not in place correctly and check out my "no drill" front licence plate attachment using "blind fastener well nuts"

Smooth flawless delivery. Barry (our service center manager) is first class all the way. We had watched the walk through videos and taken a couple of test drives, so we were out of there and on the road quickly.

First day - stopped at a light in Eva...guy pulls beside and wants me to lower the window...he asks "What kind of car is that"...I reply "Tesla Model S"...He says " Do they bring those into the US?"...My replay "They make them in California"...He says "Where have I heard Tesla before?"...Reply "might have been the roadster. They have been selling those for a couple of years"...light changes... couldn't make out his next comment. I doubt that he even realized it was an EV.

Awesome! Good to know Barry is a part of the process even before the service center is officially open. Thanks for the report. I'm sure there will be a lot of "Tesla time" to share on Oahu's roads in my near future as well ;)

Welcome to gsxrex too!

Out of curiosity; What "walk through video" are you referring to?

I am close to 4000 miles on my Sig now, and still learning. Every once in a while I drop in and Barry and ask questions. He is a huge help. I got a manual just a month or so back. I am also waiting to hear what the service schedule is and what the annual service fee will be. Barry is obviously swamped, so if anyone knows, I'd sure appreciate the insight.

Awesome! Good to know Barry is a part of the process even before the service center is officially open. Thanks for the report. I'm sure there will be a lot of "Tesla time" to share on Oahu's roads in my near future as well ;)

Welcome to gsxrex too!

I think I saw the annual service as $600.

My final paperwork shows registration and titling included, so I am hoping Tesla takes care of this so I don't have to run around to do this.

Ds said my car was dropped off to the port in Oakland this week and should arrive early next week on Oahu!

i am sure I will still have to do the tax payment. Hope Tesla also does the safety.

Any recent deliveries that can elaborate?

I saw a note on that same service plan, but Barry knows nothing of it.

As for safety, I had to get mine from the service guy I have used for 20 years. He laughed the whole time as he went down the list and said "not applicable" again and again. The process was a little bit of a hassle, but was eye opening at the same time. I hear there are quite a few here now, so I would hope the "wheels have been greased" for your experience. When I went, it was different... do you have insurance yet? FYI... take a day off and the experience will be less frustrating. Just go with it and enjoy the fact that this is a whole new world!

I had some really strange experiences in the beginning; but, I love my car. I think the strangest experiences are, in large part, born of my not realizing that I no longer "start" my car. It is eye opening. I'm excited to think what the "X" will be like; but my wife refuses to drive my "S", so maybe I will never know... My delivery was 6 months ago, so not really "recent".

Remember; Get Insurance, (clean car), PAY GET, (clean car), Safety, (clean car), greet wife (worship car).... it's a process. Take the day off when you get your delivery; or you will get really frustrated and not fully enjoy the exerience!

(Former AMC Gremlin, Ford Pinto, Scion owner!)

What color? I went Sig Rec; Obeche and tan interior. Should get my CCI insert soon....!

Remember; Get Insurance, (clean car), PAY GET, (clean car), Safety, (clean car), greet wife (worship car).... it's a process. Take the day off when you get your delivery; or you will get really frustrated and not fully enjoy the exerience!

I may be more obsessive than you, islesowner, about keeping my car clean. I got my car around Thanksgiving and amongst the 1-2 weekly hand washes and vacuum, I've personally hand polished my car 7 times already. Seven times in about 3.5 months! Granted I put three coats on the first week I got the car, so I've slowed down since. I get so many complements about the paint job, and the paint job is great, but I know I keep the car in a constant glossy look so it contributes to the complements.

This is from a guy that maybe took my previous car to the automatic car wash maybe once a month.

@808oman, ...dropped off at Oakland this week should arrive next week... that's great news. I'm so happy for you. I surely hope to hear your results regarding Tesla doing the registration and titling for you.
again, so happy for you. Don't stop posting here just because you are out riding around most of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

@spleen, So happy for you. Hope to hear how your delivery goes and if Tesla handles your registation/titling too. To tell you to enjoy your car seems so inadequate a remark. I can hardly wait to get the same word for mine. good luck to you and 8080man.

- - - Updated - - -

@islesowner, did you find the video you were looking for? there's a couple out there. One's on Youtube, search for it, its an easy find. Another is vimeo.com/56110773 you will need a password t35la4ALL
(that's little letters LA, not 1a, I think.) I found this on TM forum.

Sorry - took a while to track this down...
Instructional Video

We’ve just released a vehicle walkthrough video to supplement direct deliveries. You’ll find everything you need to enjoy the features of your Model S from the moment you pick up the key. The video walkthrough is available at the following link, and will eventually be available on our main web site:

https://vimeo.com/57175695 <https://vimeo.com/57175695>

password: teslavideo

As for delivery, for us. Got temp Calif registration a few days before delivery. Got paperwork from Tesla for titling and registration a few days after delivery. Inspection and registering were left to us to complete.

This car is amazing!

Sorry - took a while to track this down...
Instructional Video

We’ve just released a vehicle walkthrough video to supplement direct deliveries. You’ll find everything you need to enjoy the features of your Model S from the moment you pick up the key. The video walkthrough is available at the following link, and will eventually be available on our main web site:

https://vimeo.com/57175695 <https://vimeo.com/57175695>

password: teslavideo

As for delivery, for us. Got temp Calif registration a few days before delivery. Got paperwork from Tesla for titling and registration a few days after delivery. Inspection and registering were left to us to complete.

This car is amazing!

Awesome tool.

Fake drive: Hawaii Edition.
Update: I am fed up with that guy dsmith and his Fake drive around the island.:redface: How dare he poke fun at a great car. I have decided to do something about it... :biggrin:
On Saturday, March 9th I will challenge his fictitious drive with a true drive around the island. I will start at Blasdell center parking lot after an early morning charge (about 10AM) and drive his “fake” route to prove it can be done.:tongue: Who else will take up his challenge? He says he doesn’t believe there are any other Tesla Model S on the road in Hawaii because he has never seen another one “in the tropical wild” How dare he make such a statement, when it is plain to see the many posters here on TMC. I guess he will counter with a note about the many “posers” on TMC. I have had it with his constant jibes and want to do something about it…
This drive will serve as a wakeup call to him:wink: and all the other so called MS owners to get out and drive.

Hope to see everyone there Saturday morning at 10AM.:cool:

Update: I am fed up with that guy dsmith and his Fake drive around the island.:redface: How dare he poke fun at a great car. I have decided to do something about it... :biggrin:
On Saturday, March 9th I will challenge his fictitious drive with a true drive around the island. I will start at Blasdell center parking lot after an early morning charge (about 10AM) and drive his “fake” route to prove it can be done.:tongue: Who else will take up his challenge? He says he doesn’t believe there are any other Tesla Model S on the road in Hawaii because he has never seen another one “in the tropical wild” How dare he make such a statement, when it is plain to see the many posters here on TMC. I guess he will counter with a note about the many “posers” on TMC. I have had it with his constant jibes and want to do something about it…
This drive will serve as a wakeup call to him:wink: and all the other so called MS owners to get out and drive.

Hope to see everyone there Saturday morning at 10AM.:cool:

:biggrin: Can this dsmith guy wait another week or so?? Mine is supposedly on the boat and I wanna go too!

The honeydo list that got started in 1982 was rediscovered by the GM of my domicile, and has suddenly came due; tomorrow! I should be out on furlough again by next week Sat, if the dmsith guy can keep his koickersoutofabunch...

PS Thanks for the link and stuff(s)! I waited a long time for this experience and am enjoying every waking moment with it. If I miss this one, I will be dissappinted, but, will gladlyt hop on the next one!

I got a kick out of visiting Barry last week and looking at the $1.7M in cars in his garage! Congratulations all you new owners!!!

:biggrin: Can this dsmith guy wait another week or so?? Mine is supposedly on the boat and I wanna go too!

St pattys day weekend? are you daft, have you drunk some of the hearty green brew a week early? have the Leprechauns (AKA DSs) been sending you false messages about getting a Model S on the next boat? I'm sure there will be other weekends that "real" Model S owners can attend. I know at least 1 will show up (if I don't oversleep)

I just finished... dare I say it? ...a range charge in anticipation of the blessed event. I've been putting this (the drive) off since I got the car and just decided to stop thinking about it and just do it (not the range charge). I was waiting for the temp to get down to 5F to show up the NYT, but decided after our "rainy" season last week that it probably wasn't going to happen. I'lll wait for someone on the big island to do that driving test...

Like the rest of the United States, other than Arizona, my Tesla Model S sprung forward for daylight savings time. My clock is now one hour ahead of what it should be. After a cursory look, I can't figure out how to get the clock to change. Anybody else have an idea how to fix this?

Like the rest of the United States, other than Arizona, my Tesla Model S sprung forward for daylight savings time. My clock is now one hour ahead of what it should be. After a cursory look, I can't figure out how to get the clock to change. Anybody else have an idea how to fix this?

How weird, since it has cell phone connectivity, I would have thought that the time would be based on the cell network time stamp which should be adjusted for HST. hope they can get that sorted out soon.

It's only wrong for a few hours at least...

the car actually thinks it is on Pacific time. when you check your phone logs they are all a few hours off also. this is a known issue that I have read about in other threads.

- - - Updated - - -

I woke up early, really early. It was 6AM. Too soon to wake up so I hit the sleep button. In my dreams I was already driving. Unfortunately I awoke from my dream about 9:55 AM and I am suddenly aware that I have overslept.:cursing: I would have to rush to make the 10Am meeting, if anyone else decided to make the trip. While driving to the Blasdell, I had images of dozens of people pissed off that I had arranged the drive and not shown up on time.:redface: At 10:10 AM, all I saw were two identical black leafs occupying the charging spots.:crying: After range charging the night before I had 256 rated miles to use up.
The rainclouds are circling and I can see some drops on my windshield. Can I outrun the rain? Suddenly the clouds part and the warm tropical sunshine dries the wet roads.
I hit H1 heading toward Kahala where I noticed a new digit on my dash screen. My odometer read 1K. $300 fuel cost savings since I said goodbye to my old car. :biggrin:
Passing Sandy Beach I lost radio station. I did a radio station search which cycled twice before finding a station. It was an interview with a new, hip and young string quartet. When I lost that I wished that they had satellite radio in Hawaii. Sirius Radio won the lawsuit against them from Hawaii Broadcasters two years ago. Why haven’t they set up the repeating tower they promised?:confused:
The rain was threatening again, as I made a pass by the Kailua whole foods. There was no need to stop and regroup with others, so I kept driving. I stopped at traffic light and then it happened, or did it? No, is it? Can it be? A grey MS. Should I wave? Yes, the thing to do is wave.:love: The bearded driver didn’t even see me. My first time seeing another random MS on the road and the other driver doesn’t even see me.
It figures that a granola eating, tree hugging type that hangs out at Whole Foods would buy a MS and not wave to me.:tongue:
Between the MS sighting and the heavy traffic in Kailua, I got a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. Did I do the right thing with this around the island trip? The more I drive the more it nags at me. I decide to stop at He’eia Kea Pier. With Guy Fieri’s recommendation I pick something up at the general store. I wish that I had come an hour earlier to get some of the delicious breakfast menu items. After my meal everything was calm with no more nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach and the drive seemed destined to be completed.:wink:
As I got back on the road the only vehicle in front of me was a box delivery truck. At least he wouldn’t be trying to look at the waves driving 25 MPH:cool:. it was easy driving until after the Polynesian CC and Kahuku shrimp trucks. For some unknown reason the road was limited to a single lane while a team of leaf blowers blew leaves off the road. I was really moving after that and got to Turtle Bay resort with no more traffic problems.
As I continued past Turtle Bay I was surprised by the lack of traffic on the North Shore. With the occasional car waiting to pull to the opposite side of the road to find parking. There were no other slowdowns.
I did make the mistake of going through Halewea instead of staying on Kamehameha highway. I got stuck behind the Wahiawa 52 bus. I was finally able to pass the bus at weed circle on the road to Wahiawa. Of course I was immediately stuck in a string of 10 cars in a no passing zone. Every time a passing zone appeared it was immediately clogged with oncoming traffic. As soon as an open passing zone appeared there was a car three cars ahead of me that pulled out to pass. I take that as a queue and start my pass. The OP (original passer) pulls back at the head of the line about four car lengths ahead of the previous first car in the line. Craaaap, I’m in the passing line with cars approaching from the opposite direction, :scared: not really a problem but my momentum has me almost ahead of the OP. Let’s do the math… 10 cars in the line of traffic ahead of me, the third in front of me moves to the front and I blow past 9.5 cars. I was going way too fast. If the OP had not waited four car lengths to pull back into the right lane I would have had plenty of room to get in front of him. I erred on the side of caution and applied my brakes heavily to pull in behind him. That’s what I call passing power. :cool:
I eventually came to the end of my trip. All I had to do was coast down the Kinau off ramp and to the Blasdell to recharge. Suddenly at the bottom of the ramp was a shiny car with a decorative blue lite atop his car. He was looking at me. :scared::crying: Was I taking the off ramp too fast? Did I make an illegal lane change? I pass him and look straight ahead. A glance in my rear view mirror and I could see him pulling out behind me. The light turned red and he pulled to the left lane beside me and stopped leaving a huge gap between his car and the stop line. Craaaap. I lowered my window and muted my radio. “Nice day officer what can I do for you?” then it happened. “Is that a Model S? Are you the first on the island, I haven’t seen any others yet. You are the first. Nice car.” “Thank you officer, plenty of other MS out there. Have a nice day…”:biggrin:
I pulled in to the Blasdell with 130 rated miles remaining/~100 miles driven. When I plugged in, my car told me that it would take about 6 hours for a standard charge (which turned out to be 5:40 hours actual charging time.):love:

This tale is 100% true and not fake, so I can not apply to the NYT for a job during my upcoming federal furlough.:frown:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.