Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jatk, ...last I checked. That's funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay DUCK!!! That was too easy. No one has had it that easy. I sat for 1 hour and 40 minutes at the DoTax office just to spend 10 minutes at Window 3, then on to Window 6. Way to easy - Duck. Hold your breath, or wait for the shoe, but it could not be over. I guess you know a couple of people were "invited" back after DMV read the paperwork and realize signatures or notary were missing. Way to easy. I hope that don't figure it out for years, although I won't be surprised if you get invited back. Whatever, GOOD FOR YOU. GOOD FOR YOU. And maybe they are getting educated about this Tesla thing. I wish for the rest of you, the same easy path.

Did you get the EV tag? Can you tell us your number, so when we recognize you from afar, we can wave and know its you?

Akikiki, by EV tag do you mean an Electric Car plate? If so, 2806. Do I understand correctly that an EV tag means we do not have to pay parking meters? Did I read that somewhere or am I dreaming?

I only made it through the tax office and registration because of those great checklists posted in this forum by other members. Those suggestions helped immensely.

Yes, sir that's what I meant, 2806, that's easy to remember. Yes you do not need to pay for metered parking. And there's more, let's see if I remember everything. You can park in metered parking for free, but up to the length of time (for free) that the meter reads for maximum time. Example, two hour meter, you can park there for free for two hours. After that, you are at risk. Some meter people will have you move the car, others won't. You might need to move to another meter to start over (for free).

You can drive in the HOV lane with just one person in the car. (That's a hoot, huh?)

You can park at the airport for free. But we have had reports of different lengths of time. Officially, its two hours. But we've also had reports of someone leaving and not being charged for a complete 24 hour period. Someone else reported they parked there for six days I believe it was, and airport parking attendant didn't charge them anything. So, we don't know how to get the max. Maybe they are all so excited to see an MS, that they are rewarding us? Sounds good, huh?

Many of us old-timers had this discussion months ago. Since we can't get a EV/EC Vanity tag, most of us decided it was not worth the risk of getting a regular vanity tag and confuse the police or parking meter persons. So while it would be fun to get a funny vanity tag, most of pretty much resigned ourselves to avoid having to visit traffic court to prove we were driving an EV just to get a ticket voided. Considering the MS does not look like a normal EV but instead looks like a really sexy ICE, we are inviting the risk of the authorities not recognizing the MS is Electric.

Most of the free parking is metered street parking. Sometimes we believe its misunderstood and C&C of Honolulu parking might let you park free. Ask. We've seen the Paid Parking lots managed for the city charge. Someone got a rambogram from the parking lot company because they stayed too long in a charging station space. As I recall, there's a revised statute that says city lots must have EV charging capability. Does anyone remember that one? Please join in.

So,I think this is why you are going to see a lot of 4 digit EV tags.

- - - Updated - - -

Count me in. I also met the gal who owns a Red Roadster on Kauai.

Regarding the trunk mats, what is the standard carpet color the car comes with? Does it depend on the color of the upholstery? I'd probably be interested but since I haven't seen my car yet, I'm not sure what color I would want.

Hawaiiskibum, Count you in? For which the mats or being a gal driving a MS? (Just wonderin')
We are just starting to look into the mat thing. There's time to figure out what color.

Last edited:
Most of the free parking is metered street parking. Sometimes we believe its misunderstood and C&C of Honolulu parking might let you park free. Ask. We've seen the Paid Parking lots managed for the city charge. Someone got a rambogram from the parking lot company because they stayed too long in a charging station space. As I recall, there's a revised statute that says city lots must have EV charging capability. Does anyone remember that one? Please join in.

Here are some of the applicable provisions:
§ 291-71. Designation of parking spaces for electric vehicles; charging system

(a) Places of public accommodation with at least one hundred parking spaces available for use by the general public shall have at least one parking space exclusively for electric vehicles and equipped with an electric vehicle charging system located anywhere in the parking structure or lot by July 1, 2012; provided that no parking space designated for electric vehicles shall displace or reduce accessible stalls required by the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines. Spaces shall be designated, clearly marked, and the exclusive designation enforced. Owners of multiple parking facilities within the State may designate and electrify fewer parking spaces than required in one or more of their owned properties; provided that the scheduled requirement is met for the total number of aggregate spaces on all of their owned properties.

Act 168 / SB 2746
(2012)
Act 168 supersedes Act 290, Session Laws of Hawaii 1997.
For language within the Hawaii Revised Statutes see Note

• In 2012 the state legislature repealed Act 290, with updated provisions, to address the present development and use of EVs. Act 290, Session Laws of Hawaii 1997, established incentives for the registration, licensing, parking, and operation of electric vehicles. Requires special electric vehicle license plates to be established and issued, free parking for EVs with EV license plates at State and County facilities including meters, and exemptions from high occupancy vehicle lanes.
  • Act 168 includes:
    • The department of transportation may adopt rules pursuant to chapter 91, Hawaii Revised Statutes, for the registration of, and issuance of special license plates for, electric vehicles.
    • An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from payment of parking fees, including those collected through parking meters, charged by any state or county authority in this State, except that this exemption shall not apply:
      • For more than two and one-half hours of metered parking, or the maximum amount of time the meter allows, whichever is longer; or To parking fees assessed in increments longer than one twenty-four-hour day, including weekly, monthly, or annual parking permits.
      • An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from high occupancy vehicle lane restrictions.
    • For the purposes of this Act: Electric vehicle means : (1) A neighborhood electric vehicle; or ( 2 ) A vehicle, with four or more wheels, that draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least four kilowatt hours of energy storage capacity that can be recharged from an external source of electricity.
  • This Act shall take effect upon its approval and shall be repealed on June 30, 2020.

The language in the latter clearly requires that an EV have EV plates to take advantage of the parking/HOV benefits.

Has anyone here signed up for the HECO EV rates program? I looked at the info on their website, and I must say I'm a bit confused. It would seem that if you go with the single meter option, you're paying 2 cents more per kwh for electricity during peak hours (through 9pm) but between 9pm and 7am it's 6 cents less. If you're on one meter, I would assume that there's no way for HECO to know what kwh are going to the EV vs. what kwh are going to the fridge, AC, stove, dryer, etc.

I'm not sure that saving 6 cents less overnight for what little energy I would need to recharge the MS each day would make enough savings to offset the higher 2 cents during the peak hours before 9pm, when I would be home in the evening and consuming the most electricity. Anyone have any experience?

Also, not to confuse things further, but anyone have this and PV? How does that work?

Just trying to occupy my time learning from everyone's experience here and planning until my MS gets here.

gmtom1, Yep, that's exactly what the purpose of this forum is - to share our mutual experiences and let others gain from our good ideas and a few do-overs.

I have PV and MS. There's a couple of others that did too. I've only had one HECO bill and have another due in a week, so I don't have enough to get a pattern.
But I've had PV for three years and paid zero most of the year. There's a monthly distribution fee that HECO is entitled to, but I don't pay it most of the time, because they give me roll over credit for making more than I use. - That is until now. My first bill with my MS showed a jump from 0 to $60. When I had my PV installed, the state credit was more generous than it is now. So since Feds and HI were paying 65% of my cost, I installed 30% more than I needed. I did that so when I bought an EV I would still be zero. I want to add more now, but the City code has changed and I may have to do a meter upgrade and bring the meter into the 21st century to add more PV. But looking into it. This is sort of a surprise. The pro's that have been by my place say the city code has changed and requires more boxes and different configurations if you are adding PV to an older dwelling and more on top of that if you add 220+ for charging. But it works.

The HECO rate calculation is so confusing, I don't know if I am saving pennies starting my charges after 9 p.m. each day or not. But my counting on my fingers calculation regarding the 2nd meter tells me its not worth it. There's an electrical meter upgrade required that you pay for, the approval of an association, and a token fee of $ 1.50 I believe each month for the second meter. The upgrade cost I figured would take me years and years to break even.

Since I make so much more juice summer than winter, I suspect and hope, I will make more than I use when I charge. If I can even get close to breaking even it may be worth breaking even during summer and paying a bit extra in winter. It's going to take a year to find that out. But generally, you get credit for the extra you make and then when you use it, an equal amount of electricity is basically free to you as you use your credit. I don't know yet if that's based on credit at (example) earned credit at $ .24 kw/h and used later at $ .30 or is it the same? I suspect someone will figure this out for us.

As I said earlier, my ele bill this in April was $60. That's $60 higher than its been in 3 years. That's now become my yardstick for measuring my cost to charge my MS. Simply put, if all it cost me now is $ 60 per month ($15 a week vs $75 for gas) to drive my MS, I will be happy to pay that.

@akikiki - Thanks for the detailed response. So if I understand you correctly, you have 2 meters right now - one for the MS charging and another for the house? Also, I'm planning for PV now, but I'm struggling to figure our how much additional generation capacity I should plan to cover my charging needs at night. I'm guessing I could use my math skills and calculate based on stats from the TM site, and I thought I recall seeing someplace that provided some info on how much additional energy you need to charge. What has been your experience, based on your use/daily mileage?

Thanks again for sharing.

@akikiki - Thanks for the detailed response. So if I understand you correctly, you have 2 meters right now - one for the MS charging and another for the house? Also, I'm planning for PV now, but I'm struggling to figure our how much additional generation capacity I should plan to cover my charging needs at night. I'm guessing I could use my math skills and calculate based on stats from the TM site, and I thought I recall seeing someplace that provided some info on how much additional energy you need to charge. What has been your experience, based on your use/daily mileage?

We installed 24 PVC panels last December and are paying the minimum fee of $18 a month to HECO. We are generating a couple of megawatts every month beyond what our consumption is. Hopefully, I'll be getting my MS by Monday, and then I can start tracking it's drain on electricity. But since I work out of my home and don't commute daily, I'm expecting it to be negligible.

gmtom1, Sorry, no I don't have two meters. IMO, I don't think its worth incurring the infrastructure cost for the second meter to have a second meter installed for the EV. Best, I think to get a quote from someone. As I recall, HECO does not charge to install the second meter or charge for the meter, but there's an electrican's installation fee for the changes to accommodate the second meter. That cost could be in the thousands.

gmtom1, I want to add more PV panels. 6 - 8 more. But I am probably going to have to have my meter upgraded from 100 to 200 amp service before it will pass inspection. If I do this, its going to be clostly.

gmtom1, I did mine in three waves over three years with the most recent being completed in 2010. The rules have changed. Its going to be difficult for those people starting now, to do as much as you probably need to do, and to do it at one time. (You won't get all the tax credit from the state that we did). I recommend you grow your system. Do as much as you can but not more than the max tax credits you can do each year. And since you are doing it this way, you will be able to gauge how much you have and how much more you need to do to get to zero. While it will take longer, and you will pay for electricity while you are doing it this way, in the long run you will maximize your tax credit and the system will cost you lest out of pocket in the end. At least I believe this to be accurate.

I'm guessing with those 20 cars being delivered recently, there are about 80-100 Model Ses on the road in the state now. I would love to see the breakdown between 85, 60 and 40 kWh models. I bet on the number of Model S per capita Hawaii ranks up pretty high. I would guess top 5 (no statistics to prove this).

I'm guessing with those 20 cars being delivered recently, there are about 80-100 Model Ses on the road in the state now. I would love to see the breakdown between 85, 60 and 40 kWh models. I bet on the number of Model S per capita Hawaii ranks up pretty high. I would guess top 5 (no statistics to prove this).

Hawaii was ranked #1 per capita several months ago according to a thread which I have no idea how to find now. I doubt the numbers have changed significantly since then and we're still on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.