Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aarrrgggghhhh! I keep telling my wife that this process has been so slow that EVERYONE is going to have an MS before I get mine! Now I'm really starting to believe it!

- - - Updated - - -

Several days ago, someone suggested that I drive out to Waipahu to check out the SC. I did that on Sunday and was glad I did because it was a bit hard to find. But, it's certainly nothing to write home about from a spectator point of view. It was closed, which disappointed me because I had hopes they are working round the clock to get me my car. Oh well. There's only customer parking in front with no parking lot/storage lot, so I couldn't see how many cars they have...which is okay when I think about it because I don't want Momi Kea sitting out in the hot sun. (that's my car's name...or Auntie Momi for short). But the SC is just a big white building with no windows, so there really was nothing to see. Did I miss something?

Aarrrgggghhhh! I keep telling my wife that this process has been so slow that EVERYONE is going to have an MS before I get mine! Now I'm really starting to believe it!

- - - Updated - - -

Several days ago, someone suggested that I drive out to Waipahu to check out the SC. I did that on Sunday and was glad I did because it was a bit hard to find. But, it's certainly nothing to write home about from a spectator point of view. It was closed, which disappointed me because I had hopes they are working round the clock to get me my car. Oh well. There's only customer parking in front with no parking lot/storage lot, so I couldn't see how many cars they have...which is okay when I think about it because I don't want Momi Kea sitting out in the hot sun. (that's my car's name...or Auntie Momi for short). But the SC is just a big white building with no windows, so there really was nothing to see. Did I miss something?

I'm pretty sure i'll be the last one to get mine :( Was still on the docks last time I checked and now delivery is the 26th at the earliest according to Tesla. Have inquired why the delay, but as usual, haven't heard back from them. Have been waiting since November too..nothing I can do now but wait a little while longer and hope it gets here during my second delivery window... Maybe someday Tesla will get their act together and future buyers won't have to go through all this frustration to finally get their cars....Ok..venting done :)

The Tesla team has been working ALOT ever since the service center opened. And I think they've even had deliveries on Sunday. Maybe Barry was off island servicing cars? All the cars are usually kept inside. Don't think they want to risk leaving them outside. If the rolling warehouse doors were shut, they probably weren't there.

BTW, I like your car's name :)

Lee, Momi Kea. That's cool. Mine's got a name too. Not nearly as original, but then I'm more 19th century.

Everything you saw is right. Do you want to go out there Saturday? I'm game. I enjoy the ride. Remember its a shop, not a showroom. Its not supposed to be a "factory showroom". They delivered 3 cars to new owners on Saturday, last. They had 20 cars that morning. So on Sunday, they probably had 17 inside. Yes, they have just barely enough room for the 17-20 at a time. They don't want to leave a car outside overnight. And I am pleased they feel that way.

As you know they have one suite there now. But I think we are going to hear soon that they are getting some additional space. That's good. And with it will be a bit more parking in front.

(The Windows are on the back side.) Its a new area, I am glad for them that its new. And off the beaten path so to speak. That's good to, so I believe their is less chance for vandalism or damage, since most people don't know its there.
For many weeks, Barry worked by himself, a 16+ hour day, and 7 days a week. Its only since he started building his crew that he started closing on Sunday. They have earned it, I don't begrudge them taking a day off.

- - - Updated - - -

nani, oh, don't be so hard on the TM folks. They are doing their best. They are getting there. Girl, do you remember when you told me about the two orphans at the SC? The White and the Silver? I felt bad about trying to get the White one until you said you didn't want it. I encourage you to get the Silver or the Dark Red. You would have looooked GOOOOD in that P85 Dark Red. Wow. So, now you are having to pay the price for getting exactly what you want. But you will get exactly what you want. Think of it this way, you will have a story to tell all those that come behind us. Your purchase has CHARACTER. You will remember every part of it. Those that come later will order theirs and pick it up a week later. No sacrifice, less appreciation. :)

PVs for cars

@akikiki - Thanks for the detailed response. So if I understand you correctly, you have 2 meters right now - one for the MS charging and another for the house? Also, I'm planning for PV now, but I'm struggling to figure our how much additional generation capacity I should plan to cover my charging needs at night. I'm guessing I could use my math skills and calculate based on stats from the TM site, and I thought I recall seeing someplace that provided some info on how much additional energy you need to charge. What has been your experience, based on your use/daily mileage?

Thanks again for sharing.

gmtom1: I see that no one has responded to your question on how many PVs to power your electric car. 1) A simple rule of thumb that Ford used for their Focus Electric was 1 panel per 1,000 miles per year that you drive.
2) If you want a little more precision, you can use about 350-400 watt-hrs/mile, then work with your PV installer. 3) If you want to try to figure this out yourself, it gets really complicated (I tried!). 1st, you need to see the average number of hrs of sun/day: Hawaii Solar Incentives - Solar Maps | Hawaii Solar Incentives. Then, you need to find the "PTC" rating of the solar panels that you want to use (estimated actual watts at roof temperatures, considerably lower than the nominal ratings). Then you have to make some compensation if your panels are not facing south at an angle of about 20 degrees above dead flat (90% if facing west or south), plus more if you are at the base of the Koolaus on the Windward side, etc. Then about 96% for microinverter efficiency and about 98% for wire loss. You also need to make sure that your microinverter is not rated less than your panel PTC. My panels went live in June 2012. I don't have my car yet, so I can't give you any corroboration yet on my calcs.

Agree with Akikiki--not worth to get a 2nd meter. I had to upgrade my meter socket from 100 A to 200 A. Cost me $2000. Getting a 2nd meter socket would cost about the same. Also, not sure if the HECO TOU program is already closed.

akikiki, thanks for the words of encouragement..am so glad to have the forum and fellow tesla-mates to vent with :)

I know Tesla is going through some growing pains and doing their best to figure out the kinks of a new company/product, etc.

I was interested in the sig red, but Tesla couldn't find any info on it and really considered the silver one, until they announced that 40K res holders would be in fact getting a range-limited 60k battery instead. Plus it just lacked too many of the options I wanted. I'm sure I will be happy when I finally get the car that I wanted..Believe me... I will be more than overjoyed...I may even sleep in it :p lol

Hawaiiskibum, Count you in? For which the mats or being a gal driving a MS? (Just wonderin')
We are just starting to look into the mat thing. There's time to figure out what color.

Count me in on both.

I stopped by the Service Center this afternoon. Met Luke and Efron. Nice folks! They had about 12 cars there, mostly white or pearl white, couple of black, couple of silver and one RED! I was able to see the red in person and I am stoked! My phone app had gone "off" for 4 days and yesterday "reconnected" so I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised with an early delivery. Not to be. I was advised of a delivery date range of 6/19-23. They are expecting to get another delivery by the end of the week so hopefully "Red Ruby 2" (my car's name) will be arriving in that shipment. Hope the same for Papafox and nanimac. Got my MS fix seeing all of them at the SC. I think I'll make it until next week.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Leeward, I feel your pain! Going out to the SC today did make me feel a lot better. They only open on Sunday if delivery is requested, but they do work 6 days a week. I've gone out there a couple of Sundays only to see the door closed. Today was the first time I was able to oogle the MSs that were being prepped for delivery. Hang in there! Auntie Momi will be here shortly!

gmtom1, i've got PV, but no MS yet, so don't know what impact it will have on my bill. Akikiki, thanks for your input on how much charging your MS cost. I only added a couple of extra panels to charge my MS, maxing out the roof space on the south facing side of the house. I'm only expecting to need to charge once a week since I live and work in town, so hopefully no impact on my bill.

Last edited:
For those interested in Xpel, I got the contact info from Xpel for the Hawaii installer. The Xpel person I emailed echoed the comments posted earlier regarding them going to get training in July.

Robert Mayo
Automotive Emporium
[email protected]

gmtom1, thanks, sir.

- - - Updated - - -

gmtom1: I see that no one has responded to your question on how many PVs to power your electric car. 1) A simple rule of thumb that Ford used for their Focus Electric was 1 panel per 1,000 miles per year that you drive.
2) If you want a little more precision, you can use about 350-400 watt-hrs/mile, then work with your PV installer. 3) If you want to try to figure this out yourself, it gets really complicated (I tried!). 1st, you need to see the average number of hrs of sun/day: Hawaii Solar Incentives - Solar Maps | Hawaii Solar Incentives. Then, you need to find the "PTC" rating of the solar panels that you want to use (estimated actual watts at roof temperatures, considerably lower than the nominal ratings). Then you have to make some compensation if your panels are not facing south at an angle of about 20 degrees above dead flat (90% if facing west or south), plus more if you are at the base of the Koolaus on the Windward side, etc. Then about 96% for microinverter efficiency and about 98% for wire loss. You also need to make sure that your microinverter is not rated less than your panel PTC. My panels went live in June 2012. I don't have my car yet, so I can't give you any corroboration yet on my calcs.

Agree with Akikiki--not worth to get a 2nd meter. I had to upgrade my meter socket from 100 A to 200 A. Cost me $2000. Getting a 2nd meter socket would cost about the same. Also, not sure if the HECO TOU program is already closed.

Pssst, Solar Powered. I think $ 2000 was a good deal on the meter upgrade. Can you share what company you used, please?

- - - Updated - - -

akikiki, thanks for the words of encouragement..am so glad to have the forum and fellow tesla-mates to vent with :)

I know Tesla is going through some growing pains and doing their best to figure out the kinks of a new company/product, etc.

I was interested in the sig red, but Tesla couldn't find any info on it and really considered the silver one, until they announced that 40K res holders would be in fact getting a range-limited 60k battery instead. Plus it just lacked too many of the options I wanted. I'm sure I will be happy when I finally get the car that I wanted..Believe me... I will be more than overjoyed...I may even sleep in it :p lol

nanimac, I am trying to get the door widen to bring my Tessie into the house. She's got a garage, but she can't see the big TV from there. I will be able to sit in the MS and stick my arm out to change the channel. I may have to give up and move to the garage to be with her. Right now its a fifty-fifty whether she moves in, or I move out to where she is. IF we lived in the Northwest or Northeast mainland, there'd be no question she would be in the house. Lucky I live Hawaii, huh?

Hawaiiskibum, nanimac, papafox, gmtom1, jatk, Leeward, solar powered, I appreciate that everyone is excited. I don't under estimate the intensity of both the frustration and the anticipation. STOP ! Take a big breath. Close your eyes. Picture your MS in your mind. Is it Blue, is it White? Is it Black? Red? Ahhh. Regardless, its Beautiful. Its art. Does it have solid top or Pano? Walk up to it, touch the door handle, give it a little tug, it opens. Picture yourself sliding in behind the steering wheel. You grasp the wheel at 9 and 3, You hang your fingers in the corners and squeeze the wheel. Squeeze tighter. Picture putting your foot on the brake and pulling it into Drive. Take another big deep breath. Look out the windowshield. Move our foot to the Go-Pedal and smoothly STOMP IT TO THE FLOOR. SWWWWOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHH, WHEEEEEEEEEEE. I LOVE IT !!!

Enjoy the emotion you are feeling. Enjoy the journey. Ride it, don't fight it. Have some fun. Hug your honey. Hug your sweetheart (Hope your spouse doesn't find out. LOL - sorry could not pass it up. ) But enjoy the moment. Savor the feeling. Embrace the emotion of your excitement that your delivery is around the corner. Look in the mirror. Do you see a frown of frustration? If you do, its short lived. Soon you will never see it again, you will be stuck with the Tesla Grin forever.

Yes, everyone go back out to the SC and see the cars. It helps. Its therapy.

(That was fun, huh?)

Last edited:
I'm only expecting to need to charge once a week since I live and work in town, so hopefully no impact on my bill.

I live in town and work in the PH area so only about 15 miles each way and a 15 mile vampire penalty for a total of about 45 miles (charge) per day. I manage to charge every 2nd or 3rd day since I am still waiting for my charger to be installed at my condo. you may want a similar schedule.

I've been waiting for over 6 months for Solar City to do the install and 2 months for OpConnect (the ones that took over the BetterPlace chargers) to do the same.(whoever can get it done first...) the HPWC looks so good I may just hang it on my wall until I can get it installed at my parking space.

I live in town and work in the PH area so only about 15 miles each way and a 15 mile vampire penalty for a total of about 45 miles (charge) per day. I manage to charge every 2nd or 3rd day since I am still waiting for my charger to be installed at my condo. you may want a similar schedule.

I've been waiting for over 6 months for Solar City to do the install and 2 months for OpConnect (the ones that took over the BetterPlace chargers) to do the same.(whoever can get it done first...) the HPWC looks so good I may just hang it on my wall until I can get it installed at my parking space.

Wow, a 15 mile vampire penalty/day? didn't realize it was that high. I live only 1 mile from work (ok, yes, I could walk, but it's downhill going and uphill coming home, and I hate to sweat) and I'm guessing that I will take the long way to work, just so I can drive around. Not to mention all the rides I will be giving co-workers and friends, so I guess I'll be charging, as you suggest, every 2 to 3 days. makes sense.

dsmith, are you still charging over at Ala Moana? Didn't you once mention someone unplugged your car before it finished?

Have you seen this device? www.power12.com Do you think it would help?

I would be cautious about using such devices unless I was prepared to be very diligent about coming back when my charge session had ended to avoid tying up the charge spot when I was no longer actively charging. Goes against EV etiquette. If you don't lock it, theoretically, somebody could park in the stall next to you and take the plug if you're no longer actively charging which avoids the issue of monopolizing the plug when a fellow EVer might need it.

dsmith, are you still charging over at Ala Moana? Didn't you once mention someone unplugged your car before it finished?

Have you seen this device? www.power12.com Do you think it would help?

not Ala Moana itself due to the traffic and the length of charge, but the public chargers in the area. I did see that device but decided against it. It only happened once and I have been thinking of another solution. Possibly a pouch to store the adapter in that also had a keychain ring to hold the charger activation cards and a note to put the adapter in the pouch and hang it on the drivers mirror. Just thinking out loud here...

- - - Updated - - -

I would be cautious about using such devices unless I was prepared to be very diligent about coming back when my charge session had ended to avoid tying up the charge spot when I was no longer actively charging. Goes against EV etiquette. If you don't lock it, theoretically, somebody could park in the stall next to you and take the plug if you're no longer actively charging which avoids the issue of monopolizing the plug when a fellow EVer might need it.

When I was at Moanaloa plaza the other day looking for a charge there was a Leaf and a Volt charging on the 2 working chargers. I could see that the Leaf had only 1 LED lit and the other two were dark so I knew they had just plugged in. with the Volt it was a bit harder to tell if they were done charging (no indicator on the BetterPlace style chargers) after thinking about it a bit I came up with a fool-proof way to tell if a Volt (or Plug in Prius) is done charging.
Just look to see if there is a Tesla parked next to it, that way you know they are done.:tongue:

Thanks all for the info & advice re: PV. I'm just a bit concerned since most of the PV installers I've talked to so far only will install based on seeing your actual usage of electricity from a couple months of bills (I'm doing a lease/PPA, not buying), so I want to make sure I "burn" as much energy as a I can during the 6-8 weeks wait for my MS to get here it will take once I place my order.

@solarpowered - Thanks for the advice & info. I think I tried doing something similar to the calculus you describe at one point, but once it got past 2+2, I gave up and figured someone else smarter than I am could just tell me the answer. I figure that TM should be able to tell me their advice, since they of all people would know best....

Last edited:
gmtom1, thanks, sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Pssst, Solar Powered. I think $ 2000 was a good deal on the meter upgrade. Can you share what company you used, please?

- - - Updated - - -
Akikiki: I used Tomas Electric, who also did the electrical work for my PVs. Costs can vary, depending on how much work is needed. My NEMA 14-50 socket is on the back side of my new meter socket cabinet & required no conduit, so my cost was low. Whomever does the work will have to give a site-specific estimate.

- - - Updated - - -

Gmtom1: Solar City, Tesla's sister company, should be able to help. No other PV company knows how to figure it out. Just multiply your annual mileage by 0.4 kWH, then divide by 365 days--tell the other PV companies that you need that much extra over your power bill.

Thanks all for the info & advice re: PV. I'm just a bit concerned since most of the PV installers I've talked to so far only will install based on seeing your actual usage of electricity from a couple months of bills (I'm doing a lease/PPA, not buying), so I want to make sure I "burn" as much energy as a I can during the 6-8 weeks wait for my MS to get here it will take once I place my order.

@solarpowered - Thanks for the advice & info. I think I tried doing something similar to the calculus you describe at one point, but once it got past 2+2, I gave up and figured someone else smarter than I am could just tell me the answer. I figure that TM should be able to tell me their advice, since they of all people would know best....

If you are trying to see how much usage you will have (based on my prior discussed 45 miles charge per day) Here is my electrical usage for Feb from chargepoint (I got lazy and haven't done an updated chart...)
reports.jpg

Airport parking is free for up to 30 days. Left my LEAF there for 23 days last month. No charge (fee). Would love to do the same with my MS, but they have to fix the vampire thing first.
They changed this law. That's what I wrote Senator Gabbard about--to confirm or deny. Not all the airport parking check out people know of the change and they sometimes let you skate for more than 24 hours. When I drove my Leaf I also had some very extended multi-day airport parking stays. That was before the law was changed. But according to Senator Gabbard the limit is now 24 hours at the airport for free EV parking.

Status
Not open for further replies.